• 1 Post By ttazzman

Thread: 460 Loader - Holders (Paddles) not Synchronized

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 06:55 AM
    Thanks

460 Loader - Holders (Paddles) not Synchronized

Hi,

I have a 460 loader attached to my 4700. For a few years, the loader holders (I call them paddles) do not move in sync. Referring to the attached diagram, I find that the synchronizing bar (#8) doesn't do its job. The whole bar twists (30+ degrees) since there seems that one of the holders doesn't move as quickly as the other.

At times, the cotter pin (#4) breaks, but even if I use a steel nail, I still can't get the holders to move in unison – or to line up. The bar just remains twisted.

As you can imagine, it takes a bit of finesse to attach my bucket or forks.

I am wondering what I can do to get the two holders to move more closely in unison so that they don't stress the bar or break my cotter pins? It is like the hydraulic pressure is different on both sides of the loader boom?

Or, do I need a new bar? They are quite expensive so I would rather avoid buying one to find out it doesn't work.

Thank you

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Loader Boom.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	708626

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:56 AM
    Thanks
    i regularly bottom/top both tilt and lift cylinders on my 460 loader and my other loaders ...this is a technique for some construction equipment to keep duals in phase with each other....not sure if it helps on one setup like the 460 but i still do it

also this is a JD bulletin not on the 460 specifically but it references a fix for this problem on the next size larger loaders (5 series) and would probably be what i would do if i have the same problem your having

Bucket Cylinders do not Extend Equally : Bucket cylinders and loader quick attach brackets are held in alignment by the timing rod.
    OxPath and PJR832 like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,082 Times in 2,548 Posts
    This is a fairly common issue, it's usually just broken pins but you already accounted for that. As the holes wear slightly, the extra "slop" is seen more at the end of the QA shoes. You can drill the holes out and put in a larger and better fitting pins, but it will wear too leaving you with the same issue and less room to drill in the future.
    You also cannot rule out a bad cylinder, especially on a machine of this age. If the piston seals of one are leaking by internally, then the other cylinder is doing the majority of the work and the leaking cylinder is dragging along for the ride.

I've never had a real issue getting the two shoes inline to attack the forks or bucket, all you need to do is drive up and "push" the one thats sticking out further against the implement and they should even out since the two cylinders are plumbed in parallel. As one cylinder retracts the fluid in it will get pushed out and make the other cylinder extend.
    PJR832 likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 06:55 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks for your replies. There isn't much slop in the cotter pin holes. They are pretty tight. I drew a straight line with a felt marker along the timing rod and then operated the loader without an attachment. The bar actually twisted so the straight line started started to look like a barber pole stripe. It twisted to about 45 degrees before the cotter pins limited the separation.

The service bulletin suggests a bigger pin and enlarging the holes on the timing rod, but if the timing rod is that flexible, it really won't matter.

That is why I wondered if the hydraulics need some sort of adjustment so both paddles/shoes.

I don't really have a problem getting the attachments on with the shoes misaligned, but it simply bothers me that I have this problem and can't fix it.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,082 Times in 2,548 Posts
    If the timing bar is twisting like that, you either have something binding mechanically, or a bad cylinder as I mentioned.
    PJR832 and ttazzman like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    If the timing bar is twisting like that, you either have something binding mechanically, or a bad cylinder as I mentioned.

yep to twist the bar like that something is fighting each other.....im guessing the slow cylinder is bypassing and needs repacked .....be sure and let us know as i have the same loader
    PJR832 likes this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Thanks
    I would think a cylinder leaking past the piston wouldn't offer up the kind of resistance the OP is experiencing.
    I would suspect as more likely that one of the cylinders is binding, or perhaps bound at the cylinder or arm mounting points.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    looked mine over this afternoon.....not much to bind up on the tilt assembly....

one thing you might look at is when you lift the arms up at the very bottom a the bucket pivot point there is a hole in the frame to get to a grease zerk to grease the bottom pivot ....i in the past have gotten rocks jambed in the hole with enough force to shear off the grease zerk ...point is something jambed in the lower hole on one side could possibly provide the resistance noted.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    10-18-2019 @ 09:06 PM
    Thanks
    Mine does that too. Even breaks grade 8 bolts. Guess I need to look into the cylinders and make sure they are ok. Its definitely getting up there in hours so its no surprise really.

I usually just rotate the 'paddles' all the way forward (down) and then hook the top hooks of the implement, and then roll it back up.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements