John Deere 60D mower deck storage axles - Swivel Wheels ??
Like Tree21Likes
  • 1 Post By JoeFriday1979
  • 5 Post By coaltrain
  • 7 Post By Dr Kubar
  • 4 Post By Troutsniffer
  • 4 Post By Kennyd

Thread: John Deere 60D mower deck storage axles - Swivel Wheels ??

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 02:45 PM
    Thanks

John Deere 60D mower deck storage axles - Swivel Wheels ??

I am looking for a vertical deck storage solution for my 60D mower deck.

I reviewed the 'Mower Deck Axle' from the vendor in this forum as well as the 'Deck Dolly.'

The Deck Dolly seems like the easy 'one-man' storage solution, but is fairly expensive.

The Mower Deck Axle, from the vendor here, looks 'ok'.... but I am perplexed as to why it wasn't designed with 'swivel' wheels.

I saw this guy's axle solution and it seems to make perfect sense, but I do not see that he actually 'sells' them....

Are there any swivel stand solutions out there??? Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceHFk_6mR08
    Troutsniffer likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,154 Times in 2,309 Posts
    My initial thought -

With swivel wheels - if you end up pushing the deck toward the wide side - instead of toward the narrow side like in the video - the deck can fall over easily if one wheel gets caught in a crack or something. That’s a lot of weight to come down on your foot!
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

JoeFriday1979 (10-31-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:15 PM
    Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	711718

After seeing some of the great ideas on this forum, I cobbled these together on a Saturday afternoon. Used scrap tubing and bought the castors.
    2016 X739, 2018 1025R, 60HC mmm Auto Conn, FEL, BH, Frontier Forks, Woods finish mower, CF Box Blade, Taylor Way TP 923 Rotary Tiller, County Line Landscape Rake, County Line Auger, Ratchet Rake, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks and Differential Pedal, and a few home-made contraptions to attach.
    Refugee from the Kingdom of Orange Tractors

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr Kubar For This Useful Post:

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:50 PM
    Thanks
    Just a reminder, whichever method you choose, when storing vertically, be sure to remove the breather valve/cap on the gearbox and replace it with a solid plug or you'll have a bit of a mess on your floor come spring. Ask me how I know. I got my plug at Home Depot, they're readily available.
    Last edited by Troutsniffer; 10-31-2019 at 05:02 PM.
    2012 1026r
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54" MMM
    Powerflow w/ 3 bagger
    47" FE Snowblower
    48" Xtreme Box Blade from EverythingAttachments.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Troutsniffer For This Useful Post:

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,138 Times in 2,581 Posts
    I used Larry's Mower Axles for over 10 years when I had my 4110 with a 60" deck, I never felt the need for swiveling wheels. The hard plastic ones that he used slide well enough on concrete when you lift the deck slightly to scootch it up again the wall or otherwise position it. Of course I wasn't moving it everyday either, just a couple of time in the off season when they were used.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:33 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeFriday1979 View Post
    I am looking for a vertical deck storage solution for my 60D mower deck.

I reviewed the 'Mower Deck Axle' from the vendor in this forum as well as the 'Deck Dolly.'

The Deck Dolly seems like the easy 'one-man' storage solution, but is fairly expensive.

The Mower Deck Axle, from the vendor here, looks 'ok'.... but I am perplexed as to why it wasn't designed with 'swivel' wheels.

I saw this guy's axle solution and it seems to make perfect sense, but I do not see that he actually 'sells' them....

Are there any swivel stand solutions out there??? Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceHFk_6mR08

He sells them and I've bought 3 sets so far (one set as a gift). They make deck moving easy for me.

This is from his website

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:09 PM
    Thanks
    I second Kenny’s impressions. I also have a set of snowmobile dollies (bought at my local Costco), so if I need to do some complicated manoeuvring of my mower deck in the garage I lift it enough to slide one of these under one end, and it drives more like a shopping cart.

My dollies are like these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsma...0025/204168141

==Grizzler

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    I used Larry's Mower Axles for over 10 years when I had my 4110 with a 60" deck, I never felt the need for swiveling wheels. The hard plastic ones that he used slide well enough on concrete when you lift the deck slightly to scootch it up again the wall or otherwise position it. Of course I wasn't moving it everyday either, just a couple of time in the off season when they were used.
    Last edited by Grizzler; Yesterday at 09:53 PM.
    Acreage newbie on 120 acres of rolling Alberta prairie.
    5065E "Bullfrog" Cab, FEL, snowplow, bale spears, quick-hitch, bucket, 72" Piranha toothbar, pallet forks
    1025R "Tadpole" FEL, MMM, iMatch, tiller, rake, ballast box, backhoe (+BXpanded goodies), roughcutter, land plane, Kenny's Bolt-On hooks/diff-lock pedal/ext iMatch hook, Piranha tooth bar, Psrumor's better seat springs, Artillian forks/front-hoe/front i-Match, LED lights, RIO disable, fire extinguisher, Heavy Hitch
    Z950R Tweels

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:53 PM
    Thanks
    I've had several sets of Larry's moweraxles.com. Like Kenny, I found the hard plastic wheels slide across the concrete floor without too much effort. I'm thinking something that has swivel wheels, casters, would need fairly long axles to provide the stability to prevent tip overs. The long axles somewhat defeat the purpose of saving floor space by storing vertically.

There are some shortcomings with moweraxles on my 54D decks. They don't provide much ground clearance from the autoconnect rod release lever, less than an inch. So I have to be mindful of that when rolling over anything that is not a flat surface and lift one end of the deck to prevent the release lever from dragging. A taller wheel would help, but they are supplied with 5" diameter wheels and I'm speculating that is the limit of what he can source in a hard plastic wheel.

The last set of axles I purchased last year were not plated. I questioned Larry about this and he indicated all three of the local platers he had been utilizing went out of business. So he is just spraying them with some type of clear coating. Of course, this won't last long. So if the deck is stored in a humid environment or outdoors, the axles are going to rust quickly.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements