Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Box Blade Question

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-18-2019 @ 06:32 PM
    Thanks

Box Blade Question

I know that a 1025R can handle a 4 foot box blade but can it handle a 5 foot box blade? I reckon it could handle the 5 footer but would it cause unnecessary strain on the tractor? I ask all this because shopping around 4 footers seem to be a rare breed and when found, usually the same price as the 5 footers ( all new). Also, the used 5 footers seemed to be much more abundant than the 4 footers.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    Jamie

John Deere 1025R / 60D AutoConnect Mower / H120 Loader / KBOH / Piranha Tooth Bar

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 10:17 AM
    Thanks
    I'm sure you could use a 5-footer, but I know I've stopped mine dead with the 4-footer before.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:03 AM
    Thanks
    I have a 5' and it's as big as I would recommen. Most of the time you will be in low AND 4wd. I don't spend much time with a full load (mostly a half load or less) so the extra foot when leveling is a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Levi, BigJim55 and mn1025rfilb like this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Fit Rite Hydraulics MtnViewRanch's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:02 PM
    Thanks
    While you could use it, you will never be able to use it to it's true capability. Sort of like the tail wagging the dog. You would be far better off in the long run to have a 4 footer in my opinion.

Just my 2cents
    Milharri, BigJim55 and Marlin like this.
    Brian

Manufacturer of Fit Rite Hydraulics

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 11:44 PM
    Thanks
    Have 1025r
    Have 5 foot Frontier box blade.
    I have heavy clay soil...
    I have filled the blade completely full of wet clay soil, rippers full down... NO PROBLEMS.
    Ballast your machine and you can make full use of the 5 footer.
    Yes, when it is pulling hard you'll be in 4wd.... Why else would we have it .

NOTE....
    BALLASTING IS IMPORTANT FOR MORE THAN JUST LOADER WORK.
    Last edited by mn1025rfilb; 12-12-2015 at 09:18 PM.
    Levi, BigJim55 and 56Nine like this.
    2015 1025r FILB (H120 49" w/piranha bar & KBOGHs, 60" Auto-connect MMM)
    Artillian Frame, Forks, Grapple and Diverter
    BB2060 Frontier Box Blade
    PB1001 Frontier 1 Bottom Turning Plow
    54" JD Snow Blower
    647JD Tiller
    LP1160 land plane
    Tektite Backhoe cab

Just need a Wallenstein Chipper and... I'm sure I'll think of something more

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mn1025rfilb View Post
    Have 1025r
    Have 5 foot Frontier box blade.
    I have heavy clay soil...
    I have filled the blade completely full of wet clay soil, rippers full down... NO PROBLEMS.
    Ballast your machine and you can make full use of the 5 footer.
    Yes, when it is pulling hard you'll be in 4wd.... Why else would we have it .

NOTE....
    BALLASTING IS IMPORTANT FOR MORE THAN JUST LOADER WORK.
    Any pictures of that? Not many tractors pull a box blade full with full length rippers down that is equal to about 40% of it's total gross weight.

Very impressive indeed.
    Doug and Marlin like this.
    Brian

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnViewRanch View Post
    Any pictures of that? Not many tractors pull a box blade full with full length rippers down that is equal to about 40% of it's total gross weight.

Very impressive indeed.
    I know you are kinda calling bs on that

I do not have action shots of that work so I guess pics or it didn't happen will have to be the case for now.

However just want to address your weight comment.
    1025r shipping weight. No loader, no ballast etc. Approx. 1500 lbs.
    BB2060 weight 465 lbs. (lets call it 500). 33% of tractor.

Add some ballast to the 1025r... lets say 300 lbs. total rear wheel weights and 9 70 lb suitcase weights on the front.

Now we are looking at almost 2500 lbs. tractor (heck add in loader mounts and operator and we are probably over that)

Now that big bad box blade is @ 20% of the tractor weight quite a way from your opening 40%. Hence my point about ballast on the tractor being important.

Just about every tractor out there today needs lots of steel bolted on to it to work well as you know.

Heck go to your local dealer and count the slabs bolted on to the machines its in the thousands of lbs...

They just don't ship our little 1 series tractors as ready to do any serious work because it is expensive and most of us don't do much serious work with them. We mow, drag a driveway, spread fertilizer, till our gardens etc. The weight isn't necessarily needed for that sort of work, and is even detrimental for some of it, mowing in particular may not want it.
    Levi likes this.
    54" JD Snow Blower
    647JD Tiller
    LP1160 land plane
    Tektite Backhoe cab

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks

I do not have action shots of that work so I guess pics or it didn't happen will have to be the case for now.

However just want to address your weight comment.
    1025r shipping weight. No loader, no ballast etc. Approx. 1500 lbs.
    BB2060 weight 465 lbs. (lets call it 500). 33% of tractor.

Add some ballast to the 1025r... lets say 300 lbs. total rear wheel weights and 9 70 lb suitcase weights on the front.

Now we are looking at almost 2500 lbs. tractor (heck add in loader mounts and operator and we are probably over that)

Now that big bad box blade is @ 20% of the tractor weight quite a way from your opening 40%. Hence my point about ballast on the tractor being important.

Just about every tractor out there today needs lots of steel bolted on to it to work well as you know.

Heck go to your local dealer and count the slabs bolted on to the machines its in the thousands of lbs...

They just don't ship our little 1 series tractors as ready to do any serious work because it is expensive and most of us don't do much serious work with them. We mow, drag a driveway, spread fertilizer, till our gardens etc. The weight isn't necessarily needed for that sort of work, and is even detrimental for some of it, mowing in particular may not want it.
    Now add the weight of the material that has filled that box blade,(700-1000lbs?), Forget about the drag of the rippers etc. I'm not saying that it can't be done, but on a regular basis under pretty much most circumstances, truly hard to believe.

Trust me, you are talking to the wrong guy about ballast. I have my 32 HP tractor that has a base weight of 2566lbs ballasted to 5000lbs which is the maximum recommend gross weight and my 75 HP 7300lb base weight machine ballasted to 12,400lbs. You don't need to tell me what a well ballasted machine can do.

Here are pics of my machines working in damp decomposed granite. If I don't watch and don't have the 3pt properly adjusted, they will stop the machines, and that is with no rippers in the ground.

The 1 series machines are great little machines, just very difficult to comprehend that they would do the same work in the same time frame as a machine 50-100% larger. Sort of like when I read how a 5000lb machine does the same work load as my 12,000lb machine, simply is not going to happen no matter what one wants to think.

Oh, and pictures don't always make skeptics into believers either.

I did a video having to do with hydraulics showing how things work. I had some actually accuse me of trick photography. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0300.JPG   IMG_0304.JPG   IMG_0301.JPG  
    Marlin and mn1025rfilb like this.
    Brian

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnViewRanch View Post
    Now add the weight of the material that has filled that box blade,(700-1000lbs?), Forget about the drag of the rippers etc. I'm not saying that it can't be done, but on a regular basis under pretty much most circumstances, truly hard to believe.

Trust me, you are talking to the wrong guy about ballast. I have my 32 HP tractor that has a base weight of 2566lbs ballasted to 5000lbs which is the maximum recommend gross weight and my 75 HP 7300lb base weight machine ballasted to 12,400lbs. You don't need to tell me what a well ballasted machine can do.

Here are pics of my machines working in damp decomposed granite. If I don't watch and don't have the 3pt properly adjusted, they will stop the machines, and that is with no rippers in the ground.

The 1 series machines are great little machines, just very difficult to comprehend that they would do the same work in the same time frame as a machine 50-100% larger. Sort of like when I read how a 5000lb machine does the same work load as my 12,000lb machine, simply is not going to happen no matter what one wants to think.

Oh, and pictures don't always make skeptics into believers either.

I did a video having to do with hydraulics showing how things work. I had some actually accuse me of trick photography. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

I wasn't trying to lecture you about ballast just trying to make sure everyone knew what I was talking about as your example really made my prior statement seem utterly impossible when it really wasn't.

I have seen your work and read many of your posts here on GTT.
    You are one of the resources here on GTT whose input, and opinion, I place high value on due to your experience and thoughtfulness when looking at a project/situation/idea.

As you and many of our members/readers know there are lots of variables that effect the performance of an tractor in a given situation.
    I am NOT saying a properly ballasted 25HP tractor can do the same amount of work as a properly ballasted 50 HP tractor or even a properly ballasted 32HP tractor.
    It cannot.
    It is physically impossible, the definition of Horsepower is work over time nothing can change that.

Obviously a larger tractor can work an implement harder, even to the point of breaking the implement in certain scenarios.

My earlier statement was an off the cuff response to the OP and wasn't complete enough really explain my position...

My input to this thread should be summed up as
    1. A properly ballasted 25HP 4wd tractor can do a surprising amount of work that many would not think it capable of
    2. Judging by the use most put their 1-Series to it is my experienced opinion that the OP will be happy with a 5 foot blade of reasonable weight. As 56Nine mentioned before the extra width comes in handy during levelling operations.
    3. You can always take a smaller bites if you bit off more that you can chew

Regarding the seeing is believing....

Sometime it is.....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shark_attack.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	97825

Sometime it ain't...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Helicopter Shark.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	97833

Just depends on what they want to believe..

(By the way if anyone didn't know or don't want to believe yes both of these are photoshops)
    Last edited by mn1025rfilb; 12-13-2015 at 01:57 PM.
    Levi likes this.
    54" JD Snow Blower
    647JD Tiller
    LP1160 land plane
    Tektite Backhoe cab

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 1,071 Posts

I don't have action shots either. But I believe everything you said. Why? Because I too have a 5'er. This past spring I dropped the rippers all the way down, angled it so only the rippers would dig into the ground and ripped virgin ground going as deep as it was possible. I don't do any work with my tractor unless it's in low and for heavier work, in 4x4. Did great! Now I did not take the ground with me as I wanted to rip it only. Could I have gone down an inch to 3 inches of pulling the ground with it while doing this? I don't know as I didn't. But you can drop the rippers all the way down as far as possible and keep right on going. Do I think that it couldn't move a 5' BB full of dirt, no because I know it can. I have done this too but it was my driveway dirt and not field ground and I was only going a couple inches into the ground without using the rippers. The only down side of a 5 foot BB is the size might be to big in certain areas, tight spots. I don't have that problem. As for the OP's question. Yes it can handle it. With ease. As in eating a sandwich, you don't eat it in 1 bite. It's better to eat it with many bites. Doing some kinds of work is the same way.
    Last edited by Levi; 12-13-2015 at 03:24 PM.
    bama21fs likes this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast