• 5 Post By Levi

Thread: Home made wheel weights

1. Top | #1
    Banned
    Last Online
    03-19-2016 @ 10:57 PM
    Thanks

Home made wheel weights

I know a little late for this but may help some. If you are smw what handy will try to tell you how to make home made wheel weights. Take you wheel off or use one already off.Cut a circle the size of the inner wheel at the bottom (where the mounting are. Use 1/4 to 3/8th plywood. Support the wheel on anything to raise it off the ground about 3 inches. Drill holes through the holes other than the mounting ones. Cut 4 pieces of 3/8th threaded rod. Place the lug nuts in the holes then place the plywood over them. Then place a heavy plastic bag or sheet plastic over everything draping over the wheel. place the rod in the holes and a nut and washer on both sides of the wheel hub. Drilling through the plastic and plywood and tighten evenly around the wheel. Been the rod towards the center of the wheel about 15 degrees to secure it in the cement.
    Then cut a piece of sheet metal like duct work, how ever thick you want to weight to stick out past the wheel. Place it around the inside of the rim. Overlap the ends and tape securely. Smooth out the bag and allow to drape of the metal. Fill with concrete. Place a indent or mark in the concrete. aligned this the air stem in the back of the wheel. Allow to dry turn over remove the nuts and remount the wheel and then mount the cement back in place. Has worked on 4 tractors so far. You can imbed a bent rod to life the weights with to mount. Hope it works for you

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyBMI For This Useful Post:

John Deere 1025R TLB (12-15-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    I did something similar to a friends Case 442 hi-wheel once. It had loaded tires and one of the rims had rotted so we used the remaining good wheel as our mold and put two new rims on the tractor.

I bent and welded a bunch of rebar into a round cage to reinforce the concrete and then welded that to some threaded rod which would attach the weight to the wheel.

Then we bolted the rebar frame to the old wheel which we lined in about seven or eight layers of heavy wax paper. The extra layers acted both as a mold release and to make sure we would have enough clearance around the wheel. We put silly putty on exposed threads we wanted to keep clean. Finally we poured in the concrete and troweled it smooth with the face of the rim. I made a little "CASE" logo out of some extra key stock and we stamped the face of the weights with it.

The next weekend we pulled the slug out of the mold and burned off anything that had stuck to it. A wire wheel cleaned up the threads. A little sealer, a little paint; IH/case red with case tan engraved lettering outlined in black, and they were done. I wish I had a picture because they looked like they were OEM accessories. In fact, some people thought they were!

I don't remember how much they weighed, but they were heavy enough that it took both of us to get them mounted on the tractor.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Thanks
    If I hadn't found a pair of JD wheel weights for my JD855, my intention was to make my own concrete ones out of a cut down 5 gallon pail, all thread for mounting, re bar, and mesh wire.. The key being to securely tie the mounting bolts/all thread securely to the reinforcement in the concrete..

I live in the very corner of my township, and my township and the other 3 surrounding ones all use home made concrete weights on there tractors with boom style ditch mowers... All seem to be successful...

My best advice is to use anti seize compound on the threads that mount any wheel weight to make sure you can get them apart easily if required..

Good luck..
    Keep your stick on the ice... Red Green

The further north you go, the more things that can and want to eat your horse and you. Grandpa Gilbert.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Just sayin...
    etcallhome likes this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

8. Top | #5
    Banned
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    Just sayin...
    Excuse me Kinda hard to take pics from something I made 15 years ago. Was trying to be help full was all.
    Levi likes this.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    11-19-2019 @ 09:24 AM
    Thanks
    Concrete is around 120-150 lbs per cubic foot. Steel is around 450 lbs per cubic foot. You can use Pi*r^2 (area) multiplied by hub depth to figure volume of the hub concrete in cubic feet. Party.
    Levi likes this.
    Jason

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    True, steel has a higher density. Sometimes $/pound is more important. I can pick up a few bags of quickcrete for the same price as a pizza and then cast it into exactly the size and shape weight that I want. Steel weights (even used ones) are very expensive compared to concrete or DIY liquid ballast. Generic weights often look like they don't fit right and weights built specifically for a certain tractor can be tough to find because unless you want to pay a hefty freight bill, you are limited to what you can source locally.
    Levi likes this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

11. Top | #8
    Banned
    Last Online
    Thanks

Weights

Evergreen Exactly why I posted the article. Wants to let people know the easy way to make a weight and not spend a ton of bucks. You can make them as this as you like. If I am thinking right the JD cement one are only 80 pounds and that is a bag of concrete and some of you time. Very cheap and easy.
    Levi and Evergreen like this.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyBMI View Post
    Excuse me Kinda hard to take pics from something I made 15 years ago. Was trying to be help full was all.
    I was just wanting to see what the end result looked like. My mind works better with pictures. I tend to make mistakes when I don't see pics to get it right in my head. It's like when someone says it's a mile from here, I think of the mile long road we lived on when I was a kid, including the 7 houses on that road to realize just how far away it is. Half a mile is the same way as we lived right at the half mile point. With all the stuff you guys were batting around on how to do it, a pic would have made it easier for me to figure out what you were saying on how it's done. No disrespect intended.
    Last edited by Levi; 12-18-2015 at 06:55 PM.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements