• 2 Post By 636mullet
  • 2 Post By johnH123

Thread: Rotary Cutter Clutch

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-20-2019 @ 05:24 AM
    Thanks

Rotary Cutter Clutch

I had an hour or 2 before a Christmas party, so I put the RC2048 on the back of the 1025R and thought I would take a chunk out of the briar oasis on the side of my hill. Fairly steep, so I backed up the hill between the trees and saplings. I ran over a buried rock and it shut the tractor down before I could hit the PTO button. Obviously, my clutch is not set right. I should have reset it,but in my defense, I took so much time just trying to get the PTO shaft hooked up that I blew it off.

I swung the PTO cover over and the clutch looked brand new, so obliviously it is not setup properly. Wasn't hot or any paint gone from slippage at all.

Hopefully I haven't damaged anything internally. I knew I needed to adjust it, but that evil clock got me again.

Anything I should be looking for on the tractor that would keep me out of more trouble if I did do something internally?
    1025R w/rear light kit, 49" H120 FEL, 12" 260 BH, 60D MMM, 2048 Rotary Cutter, BB5048L Box Blade, 50# wheel weights, 4x42#suitcase weights, 5' TSC Landscape rack, TSC modified Carry-All, 42" Titan Pallet Forks, Heavy Hitch Toothbar

D130 JD Lawn Tractor, Polaris Ranger 400, 18' Gator Made Lowboy Trailer,

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 863 Posts
    Ouch!

Strange grinding noises or leaking fluid come to mind...

Just kidding...

Likely if something went wrong you would all ready know it by now (I think...hope)

I would give the blades and pan a good look over. Make sure it is all straight underneath and then check for vibration as you increase PTO speed.
    5304, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rtgt For This Useful Post:

FredHickory (12-22-2015)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,091 Posts
    This is the downfall of slip clutches, they do require regular maintenance. It's not necessarily that it isn't set right, but they need to be readjusted before use if the unit has sat for an extended period. I'd even go so far as to adjust a new unit as soon as it was attached to the tractor the first time, even if it was set up at the dealer.

RTGT is pretty well on it, if the PTO comes on with no visible damage, leaks or unusual noises you're probably okay this time.
    5304, rtgt, Levi and 2 others like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 56FordGuy For This Useful Post:

FredHickory (12-22-2015)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    Thanks
    I bought a clutch and added it to my TSC 48" Brush Hog. Had the same thing happen to me with a small tree stump. Mine is setup, but I think it's for much larger applications so there wasn't really any "slip" and shut my tractor down too. That was over a year ago and I've been trouble free. I set mine a little loose after that.

BigJim55 likes this.
    Early 2012 1026R with H120 and 60" auto connect MMM

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    Thanks
    This might sound dumb, but for me hooking up the PTO is a bit of a pain. 36 years old. 6'1" and 200 lbs. I have trouble getting into the PTO area when the mower or my tiller is on. Beings the shed is somewhat level I pull the PTO apart and put the tractor half on first. Then I line the shafts up and just use my hand to roll the tractor back to the implement and onto the other half of the PTO shaft. It's a little tricky, but way easier for me than putting the mower on the 3-point and then hooking up the PTO. Just something to try. The PTO on my tiller has the collar you have to pull back and the mower has the pin you have to push. Each one has it's advantages. Also, and maybe you know this, but if you set your tractor's PTO selector to just Mid PTO setting the rear PTO shaft spins freely.

FredHickory and BigJim55 like this.
    Early 2012 1026R with H120 and 60" auto connect MMM

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 636mullet View Post
    This might sound dumb, but for me hooking up the PTO is a bit of a pain. 36 years old. 6'1" and 200 lbs. I have trouble getting into the PTO area when the mower or my tiller is on. Beings the shed is somewhat level I pull the PTO apart and put the tractor half on first. Then I line the shafts up and just use my hand to roll the tractor back to the implement and onto the other half of the PTO shaft. It's a little tricky, but way easier for me than putting the mower on the 3-point and then hooking up the PTO. Just something to try. The PTO on my tiller has the collar you have to pull back and the mower has the pin you have to push. Each one has it's advantages. Also, and maybe you know this, but if you set your tractor's PTO selector to just Mid PTO setting the rear PTO shaft spins freely.

that ^^^^^ is a purdy good idea for tractorette owners. i just hook up the pto before i hook up the toplink.
    636mullet and BigJim55 like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com