• 1 Post By Kennyd
  • 2 Post By TonyBMI

Thread: 42/43/4400 front hitch repair question

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks

42/43/4400 front hitch repair question

I recently located a used front hitch for a John Deere 42/43/4400 Compact Utility Tractor. It is complete, including the hydraulic cylinder, but needs some repairs - the price was right and it gives me something to do. Other than new bearings and a few hydraulic fittings, it is in functional condition.

I noticed that the mounting holes are worn pretty badly and am seeking some advice on the best repair - see attached photo. There's a really good welding shop nearby and I might drop it off this week. What' the best way to repair it?
    1. Fill the holes with welding and rebore them on a drill press?
    2. Weld ½" plates on the inside and rebore all the holes on a drill press. Use longer bolts to mount it?
    3. Just leave it and tighten the bolts down tight when mounting it?
    4. Some other option?

I'm afraid just tightening the bolts down really tight won't hold it firmly enough.

Note: Some of the holes were clearly never used and are in perfect condition.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0786.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Thanks
    I'd vote for option #2.

JAllen likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:17 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,135 Times in 2,578 Posts
    A combination of #1 and #2 for me. I don't think 1/2" plate is needed, but maybe 1/4" or 3/8" and then plug weld the elongated holes, then rebore on a milling machine or drill press.

That thing must have had a hard life!
    JAllen likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post

That thing must have had a hard life!
    I believe the wear is caused because the bolts were left loose. The parts/slots that hold the snowblower and/or broom don't have nearly as much wear. The other detail that is interesting is I was expecting to see gouging and/or marring where the mount would hit the tractor frame but there isn't any. And the rest of the frame is in pretty good shape, other than the rust and worn bearings. Even the hydraulic hoses on the lift cylinder are in really good shape - I expected to have to replace them and all the fittings when I saw this, but they have been taken care of.

The story I got from the seller is it was used with a snowblower to clear snow at a public school for about 15 years. I'm guessing the tractor frame has similar wear. I imagine one or two seasons with loose bolts would do it. And who has time to check the bolts when its cold outside?

Anyways, like I said, the price was right and these things are hard to find so I'm going to fix it and put it to good use. Some welding, some bearings, some cleaning and repainting and some new bolts and it will be like new (only better).

Thanks again.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Are the mounting holes worn? Any possibility they were filed oblong to gain alignment to the tractor frame? Are all holes used on each bracket to mount up to the tractor frame? If all the holes are used you may want to test fit the brackets onto the frame before doing anything else. Make sure you leave all the bolts slightly loose. Completely assemble the hitch then assess the situation. If all holes are used you may be OK leaving the oblong holes as is. Use grade 8 washers under bolt heads and nuts and pull them in tight with an impact wrench.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

8. Top | #6
    Banned
    Last Online
    03-19-2016 @ 10:57 PM
    Thanks

Mount

A down and dirty trick is to use drill stop collars. then come in many sizes. Yes they have a set screw in them but take the set screw out. Mount the hitch with longer bolts. Align it correctly then tack the collars in place. Then remove the hitch and finish the welds. It is a quick and easy way to strengthen any hole.
    Superglidesport and JAllen like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    Are the mounting holes worn? Any possibility they were filed oblong to gain alignment to the tractor frame? Are all holes used on each bracket to mount up to the tractor frame? If all the holes are used you may want to test fit the brackets onto the frame before doing anything else. Make sure you leave all the bolts slightly loose. Completely assemble the hitch then assess the situation. If all holes are used you may be OK leaving the oblong holes as is. Use grade 8 washers under bolt heads and nuts and pull them in tight with an impact wrench.
    Thanks for the suggestion. They are clearly worn - the edges are actually "bulged out" a little bit and the holes are elongated vertically. I would have thought that if it was being adjusted to fit, the holes would have been filed horizontally.

On each side, two of the four holes that are in a line are worn and each one a little differently. The single hole closer to the top is worn on one side but not the other.

I like the idea of seeing if it will fit. But, I have a #74 snow plow mounted right now and it takes more than a little effort to unhook it and remove the front brackets. However, I did remember that I have mower brackets that also go on the front in storage so I pulled one out and compared it to the one on my bench. It has four holes in a row that line up exactly with the four holes on my mounting bracket so I think it is going to work once I fix the holes. I know from experience, I can only use 2 of the 4 holes for the mower brackets so I'm assuming the same is true for the front hitch bracket.

I actually think it would work with the holes that aren't worn. The mower brackets have two "sets of holes" - total of four - so that they can be used to match different positions for mowers. Or at least that's what my local dealer told me. I think there's enough room to mount the front hitch in either position, depending upon how much distance one needs between the snowblower and the grill of the tractor.

I think tomorrow I'll drop it off at the welding shop to see what they can do with it. Having the mower brackets will certainly make it easier to re-drill the holes in the correct place.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements