Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Home Made PTO Generator

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:59 AM
    Thanks

Home Made PTO Generator

At DieselShadow's request, I am starting the Home made Generator thread. This was built in 1999 for a different tractor. It was built for a CAT 0 New Holland GT 75 diesel. Rear PTO was 2000 RPM. I have a few pics to show of this right now. I am looking for the drawings I made for the parts, which will be wrong for a 1025R. Eventually I am going to re-do this for the Cat 1 540 PTO, but for now will run it off the front PTO. Not ideal, but what I have now.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	Generator Front.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	107826Click image for larger version.

Name:	Generator Drive Side.jpg
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	107834
    mjncad, RandyM, etcallhome and 4 others like this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:16 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,123 Posts
    is that generator big enough to run ur whole house, if the power went off? don't know much about generators, let alone a 3pt one. I just think that would be neat if the power went out to just hook that up, even if it was able to run the most needed items in house. big jim

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Yep it is. All appliances going and it can still kick over the well pump and not even grunt. And that was on the old tractor.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    mjncad, etcallhome and PaDave like this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    647 Tiller
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    Mantis Rotary Tiller

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Deere 1025R TLB View Post
    At DieselShadow's request, I am starting the Home made Generator thread. This was built in 1999 for a different tractor. It was built for a CAT 0 New Holland GT 75 diesel. Rear PTO was 2000 RPM. I have a few pics to show of this right now. I am looking for the drawings I made for the parts, which will be wrong for a 1025R. Eventually I am going to re-do this for the Cat 1 540 PTO, but for now will run it off the front PTO. Not ideal, but what I have now.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	Generator Front.jpg
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	107826Click image for larger version.

Name:	Generator Drive Side.jpg
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	107834
    Looks like a fairly well thought out unit with a rugged frame and simple drive arrangement. If it were me I'd consider leaving as a 2000 RPM driven accessory and continue to run it off the front PTO. Whether driven off the front at 2000 rpm or the rear at 540 rpm the tractor engine will be running at the same speed. For intermittent operation I wouldn't think it would matter much. You would have to fab some front attaching brackets to maintain generator frame distance and alignment with the front pto drive though.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:28 PM
    Thanks
    I have been lurking on a PTO generator for a while as I keep watching Kijiji for any good deals. I would love a Generac standby unit but would need to invest more into my LP storage to make it useful. I have a smaller 4k generator to run lights and fridges and have seen others who use a smaller Gen overnight and than run the PTO during the day to run well pumps and hot water. I think for me that is the desired outcome.

One more thing our tractors can do the way I look at it.
    2008 JD 2320 w/FEL
    RB 2072
    SB 1154
    LR 2072

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    Looks like a fairly well thought out unit with a rugged frame and simple drive arrangement. If it were me I'd consider leaving as a 2000 RPM driven accessory and continue to run it off the front PTO. Whether driven off the front at 2000 rpm or the rear at 540 rpm the tractor engine will be running at the same speed. For intermittent operation I wouldn't think it would matter much. You would have to fab some front attaching brackets to maintain generator frame distance and alignment with the front pto drive though.
    Yeah SGS i agree. However i can bolt it down for now. I would rather set it up for the rear 540 though. Been looking for a ratio multiplier, or how I can add another shaft to step up the speed. Should be doable. Would need a 22 in drive pully if I dtay single shaft. Unfortunately the head is a 3600 rpm unit not 1750. Still only cost me 850 to build so a little more investment wont hurt after 16 years.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Superglidesport and OldmanX like this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    647 Tiller
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Mantis Rotary Tiller

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:27 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim 55 View Post
    is that generator big enough to run ur whole house, if the power went off? don't know much about generators, let alone a 3pt one. I just think that would be neat if the power went out to just hook that up, even if it was able to run the most needed items in house. big jim
    This isn't something that one answer will fit every house. You need to sit down and audit what you consider running the entire house. For instance I live in a rural area and I have to add in powering a 240v 30a well as well as a 120v 15a lift pump for my septic which a house in town on residential water and sewer doesn't need. Another thing to consider is how many refrigerators and freezers do you have? There is starting amps and running amps. Compressors in cooling devices from refrigerators, freezers and AC have a spike in power consumption when they kick in but that drops off one they are running. In my case we have a kitchen fridge. One in the porch. The Keggerators (porch and shop). Deep freezer. Then 240v air compressor in shop. The air compressor I keep off unless needed. Since my generator isn't a standby that kicks in as soon as power goes out, that means as soon as I fire it up and cut over, all those compressors try and kick in at once and most likely the well. I found that this will stop my 6500 watt generator. So my procedure is to shut off all breakers. Connect the generator then over the course of a couple minutes turn on one breaker at a time allowing compressors to kick in and stabilize. I can run them all it is just that initial spike that is too much. Once running and doing their periodic cycling, they never kick in at the same time so I never have an issue.

Another option it to use a transfer switch on a sub panel where you have circuits that you deem priority. Things that you choose to run on a generator. So you move the breakers for the fridges, freezers, well and some lights over to that sub panel. The transfer switch makes it so per is fed from either the generator or power company to those circuits. It is impossible to send power out of the house and down the line. It the transfer sits between the power coming in and the main breaker. This is the legal and safe way of hooking up a generator to your house.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    This isn't something that one answer will fit every house. You need to sit down and audit what you consider running the entire house. For instance I live in a rural area and I have to add in powering a 240v 30a well as well as a 120v 15a lift pump for my septic which a house in town on residential water and sewer doesn't need. Another thing to consider is how many refrigerators and freezers do you have? There is starting amps and running amps. Compressors in cooling devices from refrigerators, freezers and AC have a spike in power consumption when they kick in but that drops off one they are running. In my case we have a kitchen fridge. One in the porch. The Keggerators (porch and shop). Deep freezer. Then 240v air compressor in shop. The air compressor I keep off unless needed. Since my generator isn't a standby that kicks in as soon as power goes out, that means as soon as I fire it up and cut over, all those compressors try and kick in at once and most likely the well. I found that this will stop my 6500 watt generator. So my procedure is to shut off all breakers. Connect the generator then over the course of a couple minutes turn on one breaker at a time allowing compressors to kick in and stabilize. I can run them all it is just that initial spike that is too much. Once running and doing their periodic cycling, they never kick in at the same time so I never have an issue.

Another option it to use a transfer switch on a sub panel where you have circuits that you deem priority. Things that you choose to run on a generator. So you move the breakers for the fridges, freezers, well and some lights over to that sub panel. The transfer switch makes it so per is fed from either the generator or power company to those circuits. It is impossible to send power out of the house and down the line. It the transfer sits between the power coming in and the main breaker. This is the legal and safe way of hooking up a generator to your house.
    Yep, that is why I bought a 10KW head (11KW surge if I remember correctly). Have a well, septic and all electric appliances, but not electric heat and out in the country. Yep, did not give all the details, but certainly with at least triple the amperage on start, you cannot start things all at once. Good point to bring up. but if you read the question asked, he said "ur house" which it will.
    Last edited by John Deere 1025R TLB; 01-01-2016 at 02:42 PM.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    647 Tiller
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Mantis Rotary Tiller

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:27 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Deere 1025R TLB View Post

Yep, that is why I bought a 10KW head (11KW surge if I remember correctly). Have a well, septic and all electric appliances, but not electric heat and out in the country. Yep, did not give all the details, but certainly with at least triple the amperage on start, you cannot start things all at once. Good point to bring up. but if you read the question asked, he said "ur house" which it will.
    Yeah, since he mentioned he doesn't know much about generators was why I was mentioning the stuff on how to capacity plan in the event he wanted one. The point is that while your needs and mine are similar since we are both have some needs like well and septic, that isn't always the case.

If someone is in town and don't need everything, they might get by on a smaller, less expensive that may be better on gas. If they are only looking at keeping a fridge and freezer running, that can be done on a pretty small unit provided they watch what leg stuff is on or better yet just use an extension cord.

I am not an electrician but I work in the IT field and have lots of experience in very large enterprise data centers. Because of this we use not only big Cat generators but power conditioners and battery backup banks to bridge the gap from power outage to up on generator. That brings up another point. It was mentioned in the other thread about people running an entire house including TVs and such because they can't live without it. Be cautious as not all generators provide the cleanest power. Even with my Yamaha gen, I unplug computers and other electronics. Things like lights and motors are less sensitive.

Great thread by the way. I will be following it because I find stuff like this interesting.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:32 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    That brings up another point. It was mentioned in the other thread about people running an entire house including TVs and such because they can't live without it. Be cautious as not all generators provide the cleanest power. Even with my Yamaha gen, I unplug computers and other electronics. Things like lights and motors are less sensitive.
    That was one of the reasons I went with the Honda 6.5KW inverter generator. Perfect clean power. Plus, as with most inverter-based generators, it varies the speed of the engine according to the load and can idle way down which saves fuel. It gets 10+ hrs with only a 5 gallon tank.

The other reason I chose this model was NOISE - or more precisely the LACK of noise.

Back before I had my own generator we had a 4-day outage during the summer and I was fortunate enough to be able to run an extension cord over to my neighbor's 8KW generator to keep my fridge and freezer working. It was your basic Generac open frame unit. It was located about 75 feet away and it was so noisy that we had trouble sleeping at night. It was summer and it was too hot to keep the windows closed. That was the compelling event that caused me to get my own generator and it also convinced me of the importance of noise control.

All the Honda inverter models are legendary when it comes to low noise.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast