Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: 47 inch blower problem

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    04-27-2019 @ 08:48 PM
    Thanks

47 inch blower problem

Well I was out blowing snow and ice when I sheared a bolt on the left side of my 47" snow blower and now it makes a very BAD knocking noise when I engage the blower at idle. (Don't what to take it further)When I hold the first stage auger I noted the second stage seems to have a lot of radial free play (1/2") and I also noted witness marks in the second stage area of the blower. As I can't sit on the tractor and also witness the rotation knocking issue I'm at a loss as to what I broke? I have disconnected the drive shaft from the blower and engaged the PTO and that's not the problem. Blower knocking only!!

Ideas to trouble shoot???

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	109914
    If Your Not Living on the Edge, Your Taking Up Too Much Space

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    02-02-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    See if you bent an auger. I did that once.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk
    SulleyBear and tj1 like this.
    Al

Swisher T60 trailmower; 2013-05 1025R, H120 FEL, Frontier 48" Box Blade; fixed DBS/FBS; psrumor seat springs; QA plow; suitcase weights; Pihrana tooth bar, Ken's "I'm hooked!" bolt-ons, SpeeCo quick-hitch; Fimco 40gal 3pt sprayer, EMP pallet fork bracket, Artillion 42x3" forks, 3pt boom hoist, 54" quick attach plow

still less tweaks than the motorbike has, but a whole different version of seat time fun at 1/10 the speed.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:17 PM
    Thanks
    Did you check the shears there are 3, 2 for the augers and 1 for the second stage.....
    SulleyBear and tj1 like this.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I held both sides of the auger to the second stage and believe there aren't any further shear bolts broken, but I'm not sure how I would check for a bent auger other than a visual which at this point I can't see. I've hand rotated the system as best as I can at this point and didn't see any issues
    SulleyBear likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:34 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 674 Posts
    Keep checking, it is there. You may need to pull, push, and pry on things to see if you can get them out of alignment.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:33 PM
    Thanks
    If the auger slides one way or another, it can hit the bolts that hold the shoes on. I've got to adjust mine from time to time.
    Levi, SulleyBear and tj1 like this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Atten RandyM
    Took your advice and put the PTO in neutral and rolled the blower unit and behold.... The left auger that sheared the pin had a outside bent paddle and I fixed it in 5 seconds to get the clearance back from the bolts that hold the skid plates. If you look close on the blowers yellow paint you can see where something (ice?) hit and left a gouge in the paint

Over reaction on my part, but GTT always gets my head back into place.. Thanks RandyM

Views:	67 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	109946
    RandyM, ColonyPark, rtgt and 3 others like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy Bottom View Post
    Well I was out blowing snow and ice when I sheared a bolt on the left side of my 47" snow blower and now it makes a very BAD knocking noise when I engage the blower at idle. (Don't what to take it further)When I hold the first stage auger I noted the second stage seems to have a lot of radial free play (1/2") and I also noted witness marks in the second stage area of the blower. As I can't sit on the tractor and also witness the rotation knocking issue I'm at a loss as to what I broke? I have disconnected the drive shaft from the blower and engaged the PTO and that's not the problem. Blower knocking only!!

Ideas to trouble shoot???

Views:	76 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	109914
    That amount of free play is how my 47" blower has been for years and it functions just fine. Glad you solved the issue, often it is just that simple. The blower is a lot tougher than people think. The sheer bolts break just as they are supposed to in order to protect the rest of the operation. I have bent the blower auger ( 4 vane one in the chute) and I heated it red hot with a torch, straightened it back out and away it goes.

Just keep the chain lubed and adjusted correctly and grease the bearings and it should serve you a long time.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    04-22-2018 @ 03:24 AM
    Thanks
    Mine has a half inch of play. Sounds like there's a bunch of rocks in there. I was told it's normal...........

Check out post #133.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...tml#post485121
    HouseMouse and tj1 like this.
    Bob

2011 JD 2320, 200CX FEL, 62D MMM, Artillian Pallet Forks, 54" Front Mount Snowblower, Curtis Hard Side Cab, Ballast Box, HF Quick Hitch, 40 Gallon Fimco 3PTH Sprayer,

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:34 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 674 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy Bottom View Post
    Atten RandyM
    Took your advice and put the PTO in neutral and rolled the blower unit and behold.... The left auger that sheared the pin had a outside bent paddle and I fixed it in 5 seconds to get the clearance back from the bolts that hold the skid plates. If you look close on the blowers yellow paint you can see where something (ice?) hit and left a gouge in the paint

Over reaction on my part, but GTT always gets my head back into place.. Thanks RandyM
    Excellent! Now back to moving snow.
    Levi likes this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast