Loader mounted snow plow vs frame mounted quick hitch snow plow on a 1023e
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Loader mounted snow plow vs frame mounted quick hitch snow plow on a 1023e

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-27-2019 @ 06:22 PM
    Thanks

Loader mounted snow plow vs frame mounted quick hitch snow plow on a 1023e

I plan on fabricating or modifying a plow for my 1023E. Im also thinking about using Artillians plow mount to mount it to the Artillian fork frame.
    I have fabricated many plows over the years from a small 48" for my 1965 110 to 30' plows for large front end loaders to a 42' plow for the airport on a large quarry loader (pictured) I even built a wagon to pull with the loader to haul the 42' similar to a corn or grain head on a combine. I have also operated these plows on the loaders . Plows on loaders are way more maneuverable than truck mounted any day imho.
    So just wondering what your thoughts are on a loader mounted snow plow VS a frame mounted quick hitch snow plow on a 1023E pros & cons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 42 foot snow plow 003.jpg   42 foot snow plow 004.jpg  
    Last edited by chester7; 01-14-2016 at 08:47 PM.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2 and rtgt like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    05-21-2018 @ 03:21 PM
    Thanks
    Personally, I think I would really like a loader mounted plow my 1025. Just my .02. Your results may vary.
    blue87fj60 and chester7 like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 11:44 PM
    Thanks
    Neat work...

If you search for "Loader Plow" in the search box you will find TONS of opinions on this very subject.
    blue87fj60 and chester7 like this.
    2015 1025r FILB (H120 49" w/piranha bar & KBOGHs, 60" Auto-connect MMM)
    Artillian Frame, Forks, Grapple and Diverter
    BB2060 Frontier Box Blade
    PB1001 Frontier 1 Bottom Turning Plow
    54" JD Snow Blower
    647JD Tiller
    LP1160 land plane
    Tektite Backhoe cab

Just need a Wallenstein Chipper and... I'm sure I'll think of something more

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:26 PM
    Thanks
    I ran my plow on the Quick Hitch for the first couple of storms last winter. After the 2nd storm I found that I had no place left to push the snow to. Once you have snow banks 3' high on either side of the driveway you're sunk. The Quick Hitch was great for plowing but didn't have enough height to stack the snow up. So I quickly bought the Artillian adapter, put it on and was off and running. I was able to stack snow 10' high on both sides of the driveway. With last winter's record snowfall here, I would have been hurting without the plow on the loader.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:11 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,598 Times in 1,470 Posts
    Your prior fabrication work pictured is impressive. And I agree completely with your comment about loader mounted plows vrs truck mounted plows being a big advantage.

Frontier makes a loader mounted plow assembly for the 3 series and larger tractors. It is a very heavy unit (500 plus pounds if I recall) and I like the concept of it, but those who have tried this very unit on the 1 series have found the tractor dangerously overloaded. There was actually one for sale by a member who sold it through Craigslist because his tractor couldn't handle it.

The loader style mount is very logical in that the entire front end loader structure is built to push loads and lift them. It is engineered to properly load the tractor frame, which is another advantage. I personally would like the idea of the loader style mounted snowplow on the 1 series simply to make the most use of the loader assembly during the winter, instead of dismounting the entire device and setting it aside while using the Quik Tach mount unit for the snowplow.

With that said, one of the bigger advantages for me with the Quik Tach setup is the ability to quickly "pivot" from the front snowplow to the front mounted blower within about 2 minutes. Obviously, using a loader approach plow would severely limit that option and make the process to switch to a front mounted blower more time consuming, plus it still would require the front hitch setup for the snowblower.

Some are using a front mounted plow set up and a rear mounted 3 point hitch blower. For the type of work I do with the blower, a rear mounted blower wouldn't be as practical due to the close quarters I work in as well as the efficiency of operating something which requires you to turn around , which for me, is at least a two hour expedition each time I do my snow removal. Anyone who has ever run a large snowblower knows you want to be extremely careful about what you are putting through the blower and working in tight quarters, in a looking backward position is simply something I am not willing to do for safety reasons and for my neck and spinal issues which have endured numerous surgical repairs.

So if in your snow removal needs you are unlikely to need to use a snow blower, or if you need the ability to "Stack snow" the loader mounted plow works extremely well. I don't have the fabrication skills nor the access to the materials that you obviously do. I did build a custom plow for my front mounted Quik hitch by taking two of the John Deere 54" front mounted plows and I cut the center mount out of one plow and welded the ends onto the other resulting in a front mounted plow with a width of 87" (7' 3") wide and I fabricated a new cutting edge and a top mounted roll shield. I mounted a rubber plow edge on the plow which does require replacement about mid season, which involves unbolting it and flipping it over, but I like the job it does and the extremely clean pavement it leaves behind.

I have used the plow now for 3 seasons and it works extremely well. I had to add the proper rear counter weights to address the added front weight. I plow a total of about 10 to 12 residential driveways which average 60 yards long each as well as about 1/2 mile of private association roads and a large cul de sac about 120' across.

I wish there was a FEL snow plow mounted plow available for the 1 series, but if necessary, I could fabricate one as well. Actually the plow I have built could be easily modified by adding the loader style mounts on it, but right now I am using the plow on a different tractor for which I do not have a FEL.

Please make sure to post pictures of anything you do build or modifications you make as we all love to see the work of a true craftsman.
    BigJim55 and blue87fj60 like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:16 PM
    Thanks
    I too went with the Artillian fork frame and 54" plow this past summer. Like the option of pushing up piles the first time while plowing, instead of trying to stack and consolidate frozen snow boulders with the bucket later.
    Might not get a chance to actually use it though as it hasn't snowed a lick yet. But that's okay too. It's because I have the new set up is why.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-26-2019 @ 11:31 AM
    Thanks
    I bought the extreme metal products loader mounter plow and so far its a great plow. Its 72 inches and comes in three boxes that assemble very quickly and then just two pins and your ready to plow

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,148 Times in 2,305 Posts
    BigJim55 and danmorea like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #9
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,073 Times in 3,006 Posts
    I am not a fan of loader mounted blades but if I owned a 1 series tractor I would definitely look into one.
    IMO, The quick hitch snow plow blade on the 1 series or the 2 series...
    Is too narrow
    The moldboard is not high enough
    Has limited raise height/flexibility (no stacking ability)
    Float mode for plowing snow can be a PITA (may outrun the drop rate)
    etcallhome, BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

danmorea (01-15-2016), PJR832 (11-08-2017)

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    08-31-2018 @ 01:17 PM
    Thanks
    I have the quick hitch 54 snow plow frame mount I find the plow too small but it plows without lost of traction uphill.With this set up and rear chains i had very good control over the tractor/ex jd2210 and great results on long gravel steep roads with lots of snow Now i have the front loader blade/artillian option but i could not test it -no snow My main concern is how stable will be my tractor going down hill and uphill with front loader plow???side push/lifting front wheels /traction It is kind of too long to plow only down hill
    BigJim55 likes this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast