• 2 Post By Treefarmer
  • 1 Post By POWERSTROKE

Thread: Plow suggestion

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-29-2019 @ 02:46 AM
    Thanks

Plow suggestion

I have a JD 2840 (80-90 HP depending on which specs you look at) and was wondering what brand/size plow ya'll would suggest. Just have a few acres I want to plow and don't need anything pricey or very big. I do want one with a 3pt hitch. It would be used on "average" soil in south central Illinois. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:23 PM
    Thanks
    I can pull a 3 bottom 16" with the 2030 with fluid in the tires. I would think you could pull a 4 bottom plow.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    Your tractor should be able to handle a 4-16 without any problem. A four bottom plow is a really nice size imo; big enough to knock down a 40 acre field in a long day (or two easy ones), but still small enough to store easily in a barn or shed.

Any plow you can still get sacrificial parts for is probably going to be a good plow. I loved my old Oliver Rooster Comb, but finding points for it was a very long and difficult ordeal. I ended up buying a second plow and robbing parts from one to keep the other operational. It was also a 60 year old piece of equipment from a company which is long gone. One of the reasons I have a John Deere tractor is that even 66 years after it left the factory, I can go down to my local JD dealer and I can still get new parts for it. Good luck doing that with an Allis, an Oliver, a Co-op, a White, and the list goes on. Plows and other attachments are no different.
    56FordGuy and rtgt like this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 10:06 AM
    Thanks

Five bottom plow

Our IH 986 would pull a five bottom semi-mounted plow very well. If you go that big with a three point hitch plow, you will probably need weight on the front of the tractor or have trouble turning on soft ground.

You could find any number of used plows for sale around here but some of them have now gone for scrap. Very few grain farmers even use plows any more as it's mostly no till planting. Some of the vegetable farmers will use them.

Setting a plow up and getting it working right and then doing a good job on a field was just enough challenge to be fun. I sorta miss that but don't miss changing plow points or paying for moldboards. If you are only doing a few acres, get new points once and they will last a long time if you don't let them rust when sitting.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:29 AM
    Thanks
    I would recommend a 4-16 semi-mounted plow.
    This has the benefits of the 3-pt mount without having to carry all of the weight.

Oliver made a tremenous semi-mounted plow. It pulls easier than the others, and is more compact due to the front coulter being mounted to the lift-arm links.

This one is a long ways from you, but it is an example of what I am talking about:
    Oliver 4 bottom plow

There are LOTS of these plows in south-central Illinois. (My family still has 2 of them 6-14's and 6-16's).

This one looks to be just like new. Hard to believe original paint looks this good:

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings...x?OHID=9543457

Tim
    Last edited by Tractor Tim; 01-17-2016 at 01:39 PM.
    BigJim55 and johnH123 like this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 10:06 AM
    Thanks

Oliver plows

Quote Originally Posted by timmarks View Post
    I would recommend a 4-16 semi-mounted plow.
    This has the benefits of the 3-pt mount without having to carry all of the weight.

Oliver made a tremenous semi-mounted plow. It pulls easier than the others, and is more compact due to the front coulter being mounted to the lift-arm links.

This one is a long ways from you, but it is an example of what I am talking about:
    Oliver 4 bottom plow

There are LOTS of these plows in south-central Illinois. (My family still has 2 of them 6-14's and 6-16's).

This one looks to be just like new. Hard to believe original paint looks this good:

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings...x?OHID=9543457

Tim
    We had both 4 and 5 bottom semi mounted Oliver plows and still have the 5 bottom, although it hasn't been used in quite a while. They are a bit tricky to get set up but would do a great job if you got them set right. If you use the same tractor for plowing all the time it was mostly a one time issue.

Treefarmer
    BigJim55 and Tractor Tim like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    01-16-2017 @ 03:18 PM
    Thanks
    The OP says, "I only have a FEW ACRES I want to plow...", so figuring 3-5 acres I'd look for a fully mounted 3-bottom, whether 14, 16, or whatever size bottoms. Something small to store, and parts availability would be important, like replacement shares, shins, cover boards, etc.
    Levi likes this.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements