Need to clear a path and dig a trench of water lines: What size backhoe bucket 46 hoe
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Need to clear a path and dig a trench of water lines: What size backhoe bucket 46 hoe

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 03:43 PM
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    191
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts

    Need to clear a path and dig a trench of water lines: What size backhoe bucket 46 hoe

    Hi all, need to clear about 300 foot path through some woods that has some smaller trees (think six inch max stump width, but most in the 2-3 inch or less).

    Thinking to get a 2032r with 46 backhoe.

    What size bucket should I get? Need to sink natural gas and water lines in this trench. Presumably need to rip out/knock down some trees and rip out some roots too

    Thinking of getting a ratchet rake for front of loader to assist

    mechanical thumbs useful?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    Guest
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 08:31 PM
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,919
    Thanks
    392
    Thanked 256 Times in 196 Posts
    A 2032R is the smallest machine I would think to handle the work you describe. It will take longer, but it is capable enough to get it done. I would prefer something with more ground clearance like a 3 or 4 series offers.

    What else do you plan on using the tractor for once this project is done?

  4. Top | #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 03:43 PM
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    191
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonton View Post
    A 2032R is the smallest machine I would think to handle the work you describe. It will take longer, but it is capable enough to get it done. I would prefer something with more ground clearance like a 3 or 4 series offers.

    What else do you plan on using the tractor for once this project is done?
    That would be the heaviest job for the tractor and thankfully a one time deal. I need to dig a couple french drains at some point, pull some boat trailers around the property, do some filling and grading work on a small part of the property. Landscape rake stuff that blows up over seawall, some infrequent snow removal. Have to put in a small gravel parking pad and spread some gravel around an existing driveway. Move bucketloads of seaweed, bucketloads of firewood. Pull a 400 pound boat lift out of the water at end of each season. Dig out some holes to plant some small trees. I have a few stumps rip out on the cleared part of the property. Will use a lawn tractor for mowing.

    There are some 200 pound boulders that I would like to move around next to the seawall.

    Maybe at some point till up a garden - maybe half acre tops.

    The property is wooded near the road, and about half of it is a lawn on the lake side

    thanks for the reply!
    5304 likes this.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    11-13-2018 @ 05:33 PM
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    146
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Personally I think this could all be accomplished with a 1025R TLB. Sure the first job is going to take longer but is increasing the speed slightly going to justify all of the additional cost? The follow on projects you listed can easily be completed with the 1025. Two weeks ago I used my 1025 to dig out, install and fill in two 25' Culverts and shave 4 foot off a ridge. Completed the entire driveway with the exception of gravel to my retirement property to include grading and drainage. Took me three days for the 1500' driveway. Yeah I put in long hours and could have done it quicker with a bigger tractor, but that was the biggest project I had. What would I do with the bigger tractor then? Don't forget that down the road bigger tractors cost more too when you go to replace tires and such. Yeah the bigger tractor is better suited for the job...I will not argue that. But the little tractor and a little time and you save some decent
    HouseMouse and Tractor Tim like this.
    2014 1025R TLB 60" MMM, 54-inch Front Blade, Artillian Forks, Grapples, and Horse Blinders, Kens bolt on hooks, 1.5" Bro-Tek Rear Wheel Spacers, iMatch, Heavy Hitch, BB5048L Box Blade
    2016 Z930M 60" 7 Iron PRO Deck, Custom Lights
    LA145

  7. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:26 PM
    Location
    Berlin, MA
    Posts
    4,717
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 893 Times in 686 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratheon View Post
    Personally I think this could all be accomplished with a 1025R TLB. Sure the first job is going to take longer but is increasing the speed slightly going to justify all of the additional cost? The follow on projects you listed can easily be completed with the 1025. Two weeks ago I used my 1025 to dig out, install and fill in two 25' Culverts and shave 4 foot off a ridge. Completed the entire driveway with the exception of gravel to my retirement property to include grading and drainage. Took me three days for the 1500' driveway. Yeah I put in long hours and could have done it quicker with a bigger tractor, but that was the biggest project I had. What would I do with the bigger tractor then? Don't forget that down the road bigger tractors cost more too when you go to replace tires and such. Yeah the bigger tractor is better suited for the job...I will not argue that. But the little tractor and a little time and you save some decent

    The problem with the 1025R for many isn't one of time or power. If there is a need to operate in wooded areas the 1025R is lacking in ground clearance. I could have gone with a 1025R for most of what I need a CUT for but then I'd have to go rent something else to use when I need to work in the woods.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

  8. Top | #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    11-13-2018 @ 05:33 PM
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    146
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    The problem with the 1025R for many isn't one of time or power. If there is a need to operate in wooded areas the 1025R is lacking in ground clearance. I could have gone with a 1025R for most of what I need a CUT for but then I'd have to go rent something else to use when I need to work in the woods.
    Agreed. But that would depend on the woods. I have yet to have any clearance issues on mine in the woods at my property. With that said my woods don't have much undergrowth. I guess he would just need to look at both of them and his woods to decide if that would be an issue. For the increase in cost though for the one project I still don't think the bigger tractor is the best long term investment. I would still go with the small one and rent something bigger for the one project.
    2014 1025R TLB 60" MMM, 54-inch Front Blade, Artillian Forks, Grapples, and Horse Blinders, Kens bolt on hooks, 1.5" Bro-Tek Rear Wheel Spacers, iMatch, Heavy Hitch, BB5048L Box Blade
    2016 Z930M 60" 7 Iron PRO Deck, Custom Lights
    LA145

  9. Top | #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    09-27-2019 @ 03:23 AM
    Location
    West
    Posts
    121
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    The problem with the 1025R for many isn't one of time or power. If there is a need to operate in wooded areas the 1025R is lacking in ground clearance. I could have gone with a 1025R for most of what I need a CUT for but then I'd have to go rent something else to use when I need to work in the woods.
    The 1025r has about 12 inches of clearance... And so does my ATV... I doubt it will be an issue..

    The 1025R smaller footprint might make it easier to navigate the woods

    The 1025R should do all the tasks you mentioned.

    The question is whether it is worth $10000 more for the 2032R? That's is the difference in quotes I got.

    I second guessed my 1025R purchase for about 10 minutes.. I quickly figured out I could do big projects and get into smaller areas which was a great benefit to me.

    The good news is that both machines are great choices.. So you win either way!
    Tractor Tim likes this.
    1025R FILB
    H120 FEL
    2048 BB

  10. Top | #8
    Tractor Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:18 PM
    Location
    Lebanon, Indiana
    Posts
    1,510
    Thanks
    650
    Thanked 789 Times in 345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jermedic View Post
    That would be the heaviest job for the tractor and thankfully a one time deal. I need to dig a couple french drains at some point, pull some boat trailers around the property, do some filling and grading work on a small part of the property. Landscape rake stuff that blows up over seawall, some infrequent snow removal. Have to put in a small gravel parking pad and spread some gravel around an existing driveway. Move bucketloads of seaweed, bucketloads of firewood. Pull a 400 pound boat lift out of the water at end of each season. Dig out some holes to plant some small trees. I have a few stumps rip out on the cleared part of the property. Will use a lawn tractor for mowing.

    There are some 200 pound boulders that I would like to move around next to the seawall.

    Maybe at some point till up a garden - maybe half acre tops.

    The property is wooded near the road, and about half of it is a lawn on the lake side

    thanks for the reply!
    I would recommend that you think of the purchase as a longer term purchase rather than specific to this one-time project.

    Based on your long term needs, the 1025R sounds like the best solution to me. There are several advantages to the 1025R:
    - shorter turning radius
    - easier backhoe on/off.
    - better seat (and general operator comfort).

    The 1-series is great to mow the yard. Not as nimble as a zero-turn, but a lot of fun. Once the RIO is disabled, it is easy to work with, even in a small yard. As you may know, I use the 1 series on only 1/2 acre.

    You would like the 3 series better for the first project, but I think you would like the 1025R better for the longer term.
    Use the savings to buy other implements like the 54 front blade, tiller, Artillian forks, etc.
    Tim
    OldmanX likes this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

    Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

  11. Top | #9
    56FordGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 08:00 PM
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    10,043
    Thanks
    482
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,091 Posts

    Need to clear a path and dig a trench of water lines: What size backhoe bucke...

    I would opt for the 2032. There are a lot of people that have started out with a 1 series and later upgraded because it just wasn't big enough. The 2032 has more loader capacity, more hydraulic flow, more horsepower, and isn't that much physically larger. For trenching and digging boulders up, putting in and maintaining a parking pad, etc it seems like all of that would be pretty useful and he doesn't plan to mow grass with it. Is it worth the extra cost? That's a personal decision. A guy could do every bit of it with an old 318 garden tractor and a shovel for a lot less money, but it would take a very long time.

    The phrase I heard a lot was "figure out what size tractor you think you need, then buy one size bigger." So far, it seems like that's working out pretty well for folks.
    Tractor Tim and johnH123 like this.
    -Blake

    Your mileage may vary.

    JD 6410
    Some other stuff

    YouTube- Life in Wyoming

  12. Top | #10
    johnH123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:36 AM
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,405
    Thanks
    464
    Thanked 329 Times in 277 Posts
    im with 56fordguy on this. the 2032R is definitely a better overall machine.

    as far as what bucket to get, i would get a 16 inch for general use and a 8" trenching bucket for trenching.
    Tractor Tim likes this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

    Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •