Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Brine Sprayer?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-13-2018 @ 05:33 PM
    Thanks

Brine Sprayer?

I have a pretty long blacktop driveway on my property in NC. About half of it has a decent grade. I was considering using a brine solution ahead of the snow/ice in the future. Seems to work really well on roads. Anybody have any experience doing this on their drives? Probably just easier to plow and spread salt but it would take allot of salt. I was thinking I could get by with less salt if I used a fertilizer sprayer or something to lay down brine in advance. I did a search and did not see anything. Might be a dumb idea. If anyone has any experience with this I would love to hear some feedback on the idea.
    2014 1025R TLB 60" MMM, 54-inch Front Blade, Artillian Forks, Grapples, and Horse Blinders, Kens bolt on hooks, 1.5" Bro-Tek Rear Wheel Spacers, iMatch, Heavy Hitch, BB5048L Box Blade
    2016 Z930M 60" 7 Iron PRO Deck, Custom Lights
    LA145

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Thanks
    Haven't done it but it seems like it should be a pretty easy conversion for a lawn sprayer. Probably need to use larger nozzles to get more material down. I think I'd want to flush the system after every use too. A lot of that brine will crystalize as it dries out and may plug up nozzles and such.

I know they make the equipment to convert hydroseeders into brine sprayers but haven't seen a "small homeowner" conversion kit of that sort.
    johnH123 likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    The highway crews around me go nuts with the stuff. It's the most corrosive substance known to man kind. Magic Salt makes coated salt that works really well. They also sell it in liquid form. I would recommend trying that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    Was going to try the stuff out but the cost of a decent 12 volt tow behind sprayer was to high.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 08:56 AM
    Thanks
    When I lived near Boston,, they never salted the residential roads,,
    people complained about the damage to the lawns,,,

I was amazed,, the roads were white the entire winter,,,
    the roads were level,, so you could drive.

I believe potassium chloride is an alternative,, to salt (sodium chloride)

I am ready,,,

This unit can use G I A N T nozzles that will put down lots of liquid,,,

Will somebody get me some salt this evening,,,? I will try it out,,,

mjncad, Levi and johnH123 like this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    I will be buying a tow behind sprayer for use on the property and was thinking that I might be able to use it as long as I gave it a good flush when done as was previously mentioned. I could make the brine utilizing water softener salt to avoid any of the dirt found in common rock salt that may clog sprayers. I'm having a hard time seeing why it wouldn't work.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    2014 1025R TLB 60" MMM, 54-inch Front Blade, Artillian Forks, Grapples, and Horse Blinders, Kens bolt on hooks, 1.5" Bro-Tek Rear Wheel Spacers, iMatch, Heavy Hitch, BB5048L Box Blade
    LA145

9. Top | #7
    Banned
    Last Online
    03-19-2016 @ 10:57 PM
    Thanks

Brine sprayer

OK guys here is the down and dirty about brine. Son drives for the Indiana Toll Road authority formerly with INDOT. Both use brine but not SPRAYED the solution is a processed one delivered in a liquid. They use a system that is gravity feed. NOT SPRAY PUMP. IT will destroy a pump in a few hours. The solution has many granules of sand and such dirt in it. Plus the salinity of the salt will ruin any seals in a sprayer pump. The solution is much like the liquid they use to use in tractor tires. That was filtered many times. YOU all know what that does to the rims when the tube leaks. If you want to use it take a plastic ball valve and a a tee and pit in a plastic barrel and mount the barrel in a wagon. Mix 2 80 pound page of a rock salt or if you want to afford better use solar salt it is cleaner. Use a shovel to stir for a few days a number of times a day until almost dissolved. Then take take that an put in your barrel on the wagon. The spreader bar should be about 3-4 feet wide with 1/4 holes every 4-6 inches. Remember it is a pre-treatment not once the ice is there. For ice in place and above 20 degrees use rock salt straight as the melting of the slat heats the surrounding snow. BUT ONLY ABOVE 20 DEGREES. YOU an not put enough on by using a sprayer that you use for fruit and weeds.

A much better solution but very costly is using BEET JUICE the same stuff they now use on tractor tires. But again let is run on not spray. You can not put enough on by spraying to make a difference.
    Last edited by TonyBMI; 01-21-2016 at 08:20 PM.
    Levi, BigJim55, blue87fj60 and 1 others like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Thanks
    It might be pretty expensive but you could try and get a bunch of Rimguard. I guess I have no idea what it costs. There are some places that spray beet juice down to prevent freezing. It is biodegradable so shouldn't hurt the grass. It is noncorrosive so you don't have to worry about it rotting out your sprayer or other equipment. This is provided some place would sell it to you. It sounds kind of mixed on if the shops will sell just the fluid without installing it.

http://www.northcountrypublicradio.o...-free-highways

They talk about a blend with brine but I would try it straight. Rimguard's freeze point is something like -35F.
    Last edited by sennister; 01-21-2016 at 08:45 PM.
    Levi likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    09-23-2019 @ 09:49 PM
    Thanks
    I work for ODOT here. Brine is pretty effective on snow but, it gets diluted very quickly by freezing rain & ice as they are more concentrated forms of water. It then quits working & it everything turns to ice anyway. Brine is no more corrosive to your vehicle than the salt water you drive through after the road salt melts the snow, it's the same stuff. H2O+NaCl. We try to keep our brine around a 90% concentration. Anything higher than that & the freeze point rises, just like using too high of a concentration of anti-freeze in a cooling system. We do use a pump on our brine applicators, it's got a brass body with stainless steel parts inside of it, driven by a hydraulic pump. The seals don't go out any more often than any other pump that pumps herbicides or liquid fertilizers. They are just as corrosive. If it were me, I would just use rock salt on a paved driveway, it will stay put on an incline, plus give you a little bit of "grit" for traction. We prewet our salt with brine right as it comes out of the bed & hits the spinner of the spreader to help it get the melting process started. Works great, but the fines do "cake" up on the spinner a bit. Also helps to keep the salt from bouncing right off the road as we drive.
    Levi, BigJim55 and blue87fj60 like this.
    2014 5045E, H240 Loader, Speeco Cat. 2 Quick Hitch, Woods SB84C Snow blower, King Kutter 72" Back Blade converted to Cat. 2, Unknown Antique 72" Disc Converted to Cat. 2.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Some great feedback here! Thanks for all the info. I think I may just stick with the rock salt. Some really good points about the brine washing off fairly quickly that I think would definitely apply in my case given the grade of the driveway. I was hoping it would be relatively simple and have a better result than I think I would get. So rock salt it is. I will just put it on the hills and let it wash down or get tracked down onto the flats.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    LA145

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast