Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CADplans

Thread: Brush hog PTO question

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-02-2016 @ 08:57 AM
    Thanks

Brush hog PTO question

I just picked up a used woods 5' brush hog and it needs a pin that holds the PTO on, how do you install one of the spring type pins and where do you get them? Also, the sides are dented in a little and it looks like they unbolt, do they sell new sides or how do you straighten them or fix them? Other than that, it's very solid with no cracks or breakage. The sides aren't terrible, I'd just like to have everything looking nice when I start to use it. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by duster3404 View Post
    I just picked up a used woods 5' brush hog and it needs a pin that holds the PTO on, how do you install one of the spring type pins and where do you get them? Also, the sides are dented in a little and it looks like they unbolt, do they sell new sides or how do you straighten them or fix them? Other than that, it's very solid with no cracks or breakage. The sides aren't terrible, I'd just like to have everything looking nice when I start to use it. Thanks.
    When you stated Brush Hog, do you mean a John Deere Rotary Cutter? If so, do you have a model? This, and a photo will help answer your question a bunch.

The PTO shaft retaining pin are available at you local dealer, or most AG parts stores.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R, 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750 Tractor
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw, ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other useless stuff.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 06:35 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by duster3404 View Post
    Once you pick up the replacement button for the PTO shaft,,
    installation will be obvious,,,

The big hammer approach is the best answer for the bent sides,,, or,,
    have a local fab shop duplicate the bent panel.

I always make the bent part out of thicker steel, then the future bending is more difficult,,
    5304 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    02-02-2016 @ 08:57 AM
    Thanks
    The big hammer was my first thought. It has three peened in spots on the one end of the pin, I kind of thought that must be how it has to come out. Thanks.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements