Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Seeking Subsoiler Suggestions

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-05-2019 @ 02:45 PM
    Thanks

Seeking Subsoiler Suggestions

Hello friends, we're in the market for a single shank, category 2 subsoiler. Wonder if anyone can give recommendations on a unit you've been really pleased with? We've budgeted five hundred dollars, but on preliminary investigation there seems to be a price gap between $300-$800. Guidance appreciated! :beers:

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Banned
    Last Online
    03-19-2016 @ 10:57 PM
    Thanks

Subsoiler

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Spread View Post
    Hello friends, we're in the market for a single shank, category 2 subsoiler. Wonder if anyone can give recommendations on a unit you've been really pleased with? We've budgeted five hundred dollars, but on preliminary investigation there seems to be a price gap between $300-$800. Guidance appreciated! :beers:
    Watch craigs list and other sale places NO need t buy new that is for sure. IN fact the old ones are heavier built than the newer ones I feel. If you get the right one you can add a wire pull like I did and pull in conduit and plastic water pipe. Paid $50 for mine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CAM00859.jpg  
    BigJim55 likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion Tony. We've been keeping an eye on Craigslist & other local listings. There are many ads for used cat1 subsoilers - the same one that the local farm supply store sells. I don't have much confidence that this will hold up. The category 2 single shank is a much more heavy duty implement, but less common than the cat 1.
    BigJim55 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:33 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion Tony. We've been keeping an eye on Craigslist & other local listings. There are many ads for used cat1 subsoilers - the same one that the local farm supply store sells. I don't have much confidence that this will hold up. The category 2 single shank is a much more heavy duty implement, but less common than the cat 1.
    Are there any local auction houses around you? There are a couple in my area where they have online bidding kind of like ebay but on a much smaller scale. They basically do consignment for farms as well as other stuff (household and restaurant) but I always watch them. I could give you the names of the places here but it wouldn't do you any good. They won't ship anything and you would have to come to pick it up. I would imagine that most parts of the country have an auction house that has gone digital in your local area. I don't know how many times I see something run through the auction site and a couple days after close it pops up on Craigslist for double the money that I know it sold for. Many times people bidding on these things don't know what it is or what it is worth. That can go both ways though. So you have to be educated on what you are looking for.

As you mentioned CAT 2 is harder to find and the price goes up. I often joke that the 2 means double the price of CAT 1. Does this mean CAT 0 is free???
    5304 and BigJim55 like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    Imo, do whatever you have to do to get one that is as heavy duty as possible. As with any ground engaging equipment, get farmer-grade rather than homeowner-grade. Even for something you are only going to use occasionally, it will pay off by not causing you headaches later.

Buying used is also a good suggestion. There are no moving parts and only one sacrificial part on a subsoiler. A shiny paint job is the only difference between new and used so long as it isn't outright broken.

I built one identical to what tractor supply sells (King kutter?) and the first time I used it on my M, I caught a small rock and twisted it up like a pretzel. I rebuilt it out of heavier materials and with more reinforcements, and now it is sturdy enough to break tree roots.
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:33 AM
    Thanks
    Not sure if this is worth watching for you as I don't know how far of a trip it would be for you. That said I found an auction site very much like the ones I use in the MN/WI area. There are probably others but take a look at this one.

Current Auctions - Compass Auctions & Real Estate

The one I am a member of doesn't charge a membership fee so it is worth it to sign up now just in case something comes along. There are other auction sites that charge an annual fee. Unless you are going to buy enough to justify the cost, those are not worth it. I didn't look into membership requirements for the one linked above. Really it is just an example of what I was talking about above as a possible source.
    BigJim55 likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Thanks
    Since you have the horsepower and obviously the need/use for an implement like this...
    If I were in your situation, I would get an implement like in the link... You can
    customize it as needed, for number of shanks and other needs..

I would not worry about the extra cost over category 1 implements, as that is apples to oranges..
    Spend what you have to for the implement you need to do the job you need done.. The implement will
    last a life time of use. And give the results you want...

Good luck..
    ==
    Model 1S-28, Single Shank 3-Point Tractor Subsoiler
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Keep your stick on the ice... Red Green

The further north you go, the more things that can and want to eat your horse and you. Grandpa Gilbert.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the great suggestions! I think we have an online auction house nearby, I'll look into it. The Tuffline in the link is nice....but boy it's pricey! They offer both a cat 1 and cat 2 version with the single shank. It seems like a heavy duty implement, I wonder if the cat1 would be sufficient? This Bison unit looks pretty beefy too.
    Iowa Farm Equipment -- Bison Subsoilers & Shank Rippers
    BigJim55 likes this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,091 Posts
    It seems like a heavy duty implement, I wonder if the cat1 would be sufficient?

Ahem.

No.

Voice of experience here, my pretzeled Cat I subsoiler is at Jason's. They're really not complicated implements, after I wrecked mine I started planning out just building a heavy duty one. Never did it, but it would be super easy if you or someone you know can weld. You could even have a steel supplier cut whatever shape you wanted out of heavy (1"+) plate and just have to attach the hitch bars to it. The guys at KGS Steel in Nashville have the talent, equipment and materials on hand to do it and they're not terribly expensive compared to some other Mid TN steel suppliers.
    Last edited by 56FordGuy; 01-26-2016 at 09:55 PM.
    Lazy Spread, rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    Ahem.

No.

Voice of experience here, my pretzeled Cat I subsoiler is at Jason's. They're really not complicated implements, after I wrecked mine I started planning out just building a heavy duty one. Never did it, but it would be super easy if you or someone you know can weld. You could even have a steel supplier cut whatever shape you wanted out of heavy (1"+) plate and just have to attach the hitch bars to it. The guys at KGS Steel in Nashville have the talent, equipment and materials on hand to do it and they're not terribly expensive compared to some other Mid TN steel suppliers.

I wouldn't normally consider cat1, but the Tufline units that Wyobuckaroo linked *looks to be* very sturdy. It looks like the cat 2 version is wider (49" vs 26") and of course appropriate pin size. Both rated 30-130 HP, both constructed of 7X5 tubing.
    Currently the Bison and Tufline seem to be the best fit for our use. The Bison is much more economical. The Tufline has a deeper reach. This calls for more research!

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast