• 1 Post By Treefarmer
  • 1 Post By ace man

Thread: BB2048 or RB2160 for Road Grading

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-10-2019 @ 06:17 PM
    Thanks

BB2048 or RB2160 for Road Grading

Looking to see if anyone has tried running a RB2160 on their 1025r? I have a half mile long lane that needs the crown restored. It's fairly packed. I originally wanted a 2048 box blade, but I'm thinking a grading blade capable of angling for crown may be more beneficial.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    05-21-2018 @ 03:21 PM
    Thanks
    Wvdirtroads, just my .02, I run a 60" box blade on my 1025R, with good results. If I were going to run a rear blade, I would pull a "72".

4. Top | #3
    Banned
    Last Online
    03-19-2016 @ 10:57 PM
    Thanks

Blade

If your going to run a back blade for crowning. Make sure it will pivot up and down or have a hitch that you can raise and lower one side. To get you crown and do it easily. Once established than a box blade will work to keep he crown in place
    BigJim55 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Thanks

The answer is. . .

I mostly use a back blade for road work, especially ditching and crowning. The ability to pull material from the edge and move it to the center makes it very versatile. The down side is that a back blade relies on weight and the curve of the blade to penetrate. Hard packed material means making multiple passes unless the blade is very heavy or you can apply down pressure. Driving too fast will also cause the blade to chatter, leaving a washboard surface.

The box blade also relies on weight unless you use the rippers. Box blades also seem to be heavier for the same width of cut. With a box blade establishment of the crown is totally dependent on adjusting the three point hitch. It's simpler and easier as a back blade has both the lift arm adjustment and adjustment of the top link to set the crown.

One other point. I use a rear blade because I like being able to cover my entire road with two passes, once up and once back. Unless your road is narrow, I doubt you can do that with a box blade appropriate for your tractor.

The bottom line is either will work and both have some positives and negatives. I like the rear back blade to establish a crown and touching up a road. I use a box blade to fill potholes and move material from one area to another.

Treefarmer
    BigJim55 likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

7. Top | #5
    Banned
    Last Online
    Thanks

gravel drive

Actually the best way to maintain a road /drive after you get it close to where you want it is to use a road leveler. It gives you a longer area to level the gravel making the surface a lot smoother than with a box blade or a scraper blade. Cuts the high spots and fills the holes even with the tractor moving up and down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hqdefault.jpg  

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:28 PM
    Thanks
    I have a RB2072 and use it to maintain a gravel driveway. I don't use the roll feature for this as I use the angle to pull material from the sides to the center then rum the center without angle (built up), then run down each side which will automatically make a crown. I have have other parts I side slope it to one direction to the ditch as well. I have not used the roll function other than removing the pin to allow it to float for winter duties. (running blade backwards)

I had a boxblade in the past but to be honest, I find the blade better for these tasks. I would love a landplane like above but also have a rake which is useful as well.
    2008 JD 2320 w/FEL
    RB 2072
    SB 1154
    LR 2072

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    11-21-2018 @ 10:03 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyBMI View Post
    Actually the best way to maintain a road /drive after you get it close to where you want it is to use a road leveler. It gives you a longer area to level the gravel making the surface a lot smoother than with a box blade or a scraper blade. Cuts the high spots and fills the holes even with the tractor moving up and down.
    trust me on this one tony is right land plane is the only way !!
    TonyBMI likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Banned
    Last Online
    Thanks

land plane

Here is a site that has the planes I know there are may otheres but this one you can see how to build your own if you want to follow some of the ideas

http://grademastersales.com/

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements