What is "Rear Ballast"? And why do you need it?
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree296Likes

Thread: What is "Rear Ballast"? And why do you need it?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,117 Times in 2,566 Posts

What is "Rear Ballast"? And why do you need it?

Let me start by saying that this subject is often hotly debated. It is my intention to provide what I believe to be facts, and I will back them up by providing links and references when possible. It is not my intention to cause any controversy or flame wars.

A few definitions from the Dictionary and Thesaurus - Merriam-Webster Online dictionary:

Ballast - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

: a heavy substance placed in such a way as to improve stability and control (as of the draft of a ship or the buoyancy of a balloon or submarine)

: something that gives stability (as in character or conduct)

Fulcrum - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

a : prop; specifically : the support about which a lever turns
    So, this relates to us and our tractors how? Well, the ballast is what we use in the rear of our tractors to offset the weight that we often place on the front-usually with a FEL. The fulcrum or pivot point is the place on the tractor which balances the weight of the load on the front and the weight on the rear. I will illustrate this using example of forklifts since they are easier to find pictures of.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fork_19.gif 
Views:	1168 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	9424 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	counterweight.png 
Views:	1170 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	9425 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56.gif 
Views:	1155 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	9427 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	see-saw.gif 
Views:	1146 
Size:	3.1 KB 
ID:	9426

Here is rather good description of what we are talking about taken from this link: Why forklifts tip over (Sorry link is no longer active). Just substitute the word tractor for forklift:
    The forklift is basically like a child's see saw, the load that is picked up is counterbalanced by a counter weight at the other side. If the load is too heavy for the counter weight then it will pivot at the fulcrum (the forklift will tip over forwards). Careful consideration must be taken to get the load as near to the fulcrum as possible as any gap here will be exaggerated and the forklift will not be able to pick up as much.

What we do not want on our tractors-is for all the weight of the load and tractor on the front axle, and that will happen if the rear wheels come off the ground and the front wheels become the fulcrum or pivot point as the pictures clearly show. Four main reasons we want to avoid this are:
    1) The front axle is not rated to carry that amount of weight and can fail either quickly, or slowly over time with leaking seals or worn bearings, knuckles and ties rod ends.
    2) The front axle pivots at the center, so the tractor could "fall" over to the left or right casing a tip-over condition.
    3) We only have brakes on the rear axle, so when it gets light then we loose braking ability. we also loose traction as the rear wheels get lighter.
    4) It's much harder on the steering system.

In the forklift examples above, they show the fulcrum or pivot as the front wheels-but they are designed for that and generally the front wheels do not steer on a forklift-whereas we want to move this fulcrum or pivot further rearward so the the rear axle will carry the majority of the weight. How can that be accomplished? The ONLY way is to add weight BEHIND the rear axle. Loading the tires will help with traction, but will not necessarily properly ballast the machine because that weight is already on the ground-it will not become "ballast" until the rear tires are lifted off the ground-and by then it's to late!
    eagleeyetv, lindenj, RsZk and 5 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

Adamski (06-28-2012), andy b. (06-27-2012), browne (01-28-2015), Bubber (08-18-2012), davecandoit (02-16-2015), Droopy_TX (10-07-2013), Duston (09-30-2015), jdtwnshp (02-09-2016), Joe D (08-11-2014), Joe Thacker1989 (08-07-2018), Jrs1959 (06-28-2012), KeyboardJungle (02-27-2018), lindenj (03-24-2013), lindsey97 (05-01-2016), lost in wisconsin (06-28-2012), Martian (06-27-2012), mjncad (06-27-2012), PaDave (03-14-2013), PJR832 (09-06-2017), rgd (06-27-2012)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Thanks

All this is just theory, show me some evidence!

OK, here is some...

This was posted elsewhere, but I do have written permission from the owner to use these pictures here:

Some details/facts:

Tractor: John Deere 4105
    Loader: John Deere 300cx
    Bucket: http://fieldquip.com.au/products-pag...4-in-1-bucket/ It is 6' wide and weights in at about 660 pounds!
    R4 tires, NOT loaded
    Rear implement: A "ripper" of unknown weight.

So, lets analyze this a little:
    The bucket is way to heavy, it alone is about 400 pounds heavier than the stock bucket, and weighs almost half of the lift capacity alone. The ripper is probably about 150 pounds at best. You can see that when the operator started down the hill, the rear end got so light that it just went over into a endo, and the entire weight is now resting on the front axle and the FEL/bucket. Obviously during this transition ALL the weight was on the front axle for a short time, you can also see that the front wheels "folded" over. The owner/operator is very lucky the tractor did not tip over!
    Had this operator been more experienced, he could have just lowered the FEL slowly, but he panicked-and got off the machine to get help and take pictures-lucky for us . With more experience, he also probably would have had the bucket lower while traveling, or even backed down that steep hill.

The owner is new to tractors-this is his first one. The dealer sold this setup to him, so who is really at fault? My answer is BOTH, here is why:

Dealer: He should known better, and understand the product he sells and what's all needed to make it work properly and safely. He should have known the bucket was to heavy, and that the owner did not have proper ballast (the ripper). He should have informed the owner about the problems using that bucket and advised him not to buy it even it meant loosing a sale. A injured, paralyzed or dead customer will not be good for repeat business.

Owner: He should have read the manuals that where included with his equipment, and stopped when things did not feel right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0074-2.jpg   IMG_0076-2.jpg   IMG_0079-2.jpg  
    Kenny

FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks

So what does John Deere say about all this?

Recently, a member ( Thanks Claudster! ) posted a .pdf document given to him by his dealer/salesman. It should be REQUIRED reading for every sales person and buyer IMHO.

There is also a Ballast Calculator that JD made years ago, it runs in MS Excell.

Both of these are attached below.

Now, lets our owners manual-yes Let's look at the ever-so-popular 1026R with the H120 FEL for example (note that ballast information is in the loader manual, not the one for the tractor itself):

Link to the online manual: OMW54640

In section 15, "Prepare the Tractor" we find this chart:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1023-1026 Minimum Ballast.JPG 
Views:	579 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	9443

You will see that the minimum weight required is 506 pounds, and that also you should have 3 iron weights on each rear wheel! Sounds like overkill eh? Well maybe it is, but it does get the point across that you must have weight on the rear of these tractors to operate them safely and effectively. How many salesman know this information, relay it to the customers? My guess is very few.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    RsZk, Oberhaz, johnH123 and 4 others like this.
    Kenny

My Equipment:
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

Bcarey (03-08-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:41 PM
    Thanks
    Great job Ken!! This is just what we need. Maybe this will answer some recurring questions about 3PT ballasting.

Greg
    JD4044M likes this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

9. Top | #5
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:48 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,602 Posts
    Excellent article Kenny!
    PJR832 and JD4044M like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-24-2013 @ 11:25 AM
    Thanks
    Excellent post indeed! I always fret when I see people operating tractors with limited to no weight in the back. Loaded tires/wheel weights are almost required in my book, but even that isn't close to enough for maxing out a loader.

Thanks for the reminder!
    JD4044M likes this.
    2005 Deere 110 TLB - 3rd function loader, 3 rear remotes, thumb, top n tilt
    2000 Deere 5410 - 541 SL loader, 2 rear remotes, canopy
    2005 Deere Diesel HPX Gator - homemade cab, snow plow, hydraulic dump
    1953 Farmall Cub - front plow
    1984 Ford F8000 - Cat 3208 Diesel, 5+2 transmission, 8 yard dump
    2006 GMC 4500 Topkick Pickup outfitted by Monroe Truck

Everyone has a fair turn to be as great as he pleases - Jeremy Collier

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:51 PM
    Thanks
    Good point about the front axle piviot causing instability when the rear wheels come up, I didn't think of that. If you're used to a skid loader.... it's not as big of an issue if the rear wheels "bob" once in a while.
    JD4044M likes this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    05-13-2016 @ 12:31 PM
    Thanks
    Great Stuff!
    JD4044M likes this.
    Cheers

Bob

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-15-2016 @ 06:05 AM
    Thanks
    Kenny,

Thanks for the detailed analysis of load vs ballast.

When I looked at the pictures of the up-ended tractor, I thought, What does he have in that bucket? Imagine my surprise when I discovered the answer is Nothing.
    SailorDon and tarbe like this.
    Larry

"Good advice often goes unrecognized until it's too late."

1026R tractor, H120 loader, 60D mid-mount mower, JDiMatch, RB2060L rear blade with hydraulic angling, JD ballast box, 40" hydraulic core aerator, 38" dethatcher, home-made duo screen and several JD hats.

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-15-2016 @ 06:05 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    When I looked at the pictures of the up-ended tractor, I thought, What does he have in that bucket? Imagine my surprise when I discovered the answer is Nothing.
    I thought the same thing when I looked at the pictures. Something like "Is he carrying a full load of pig iron in that bucket?"

Closer inspection of the picture shows there is a lot of extra iron (or steel) in that empty bucket. There are 6 hydrualic cylinders. This design is like "2 buckets in one" and probably twice the weight of a basic bucket. It also seems like the width of the bucket extends significantly beyond the width of the wheels. That can be useful for carrying blocks of styrofoam, but not so good for a bucket full of wet sand.
    Sailor Don
    2012 1026R with ballasted R4's..................54D mower---H120 Front End Loader--- 49" Bucket

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast