• 1 Post By Jer
  • 1 Post By gittyup

Thread: Need advice on bucket edge or tooth blade

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-22-2016 @ 12:18 AM
    Thanks

Need advice on bucket edge or tooth blade

We recently purchased a 3039r and need an effective way to deal with ice buildup on our steep driveway. I appreciate any input regarding adding a tooth blade to the bucket or some kind of edge (stinger carbide bits?)that might help with the ice. The driveway is gravel under the ice. We had hoped to put chains on all four tires but the dealer is advising only chaining the front due to clearance issues.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    JKR
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:07 AM
    Thanks
    I think no matter what you use on your bucket it will dig up your gravel. I have chains on the rear of my 3033R. Just turn the tire around. That should give you clearance you need.
    I have 4" wheel spacer and turn my tires around because that how the wheel weights fit. I use my tractor on some hills and I need the wide wheel base.
    The weight of the tractor and the chains will break up the snow pack ice.
    BigJim55 and Fjordfarm like this.
    3033R, HST, 3SVC, 60" heavy bucket with replaceable blade, H165 loader, Trans and engine heater, 60" tow behind mower.
    hydraulic top link, Line kit, 72" hydraulic power angle plow, JD pallet forks, 60" box blade, 60" scraper,
    72" rear rake, Homemade rock bucket, Post hole digger.Piranha Tooth Bar, Ballast box, rear chains,

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,091 Posts
    If you want to remove ice and it isnt an inch thick you'll need a flat cutting edge. I think teeth would do too much damage to the road surface. You'll end up moving gravel either way, but it can be fixed in the spring.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Thanks
    Getting down to try removing the ice will inevitably remove gravel too. Is the ice an issue for the tractor, or the vehicles too? If just the tractor then I would get chains for it. I had traction issues in this last 2 ft snow storm we got and I've never had traction issues before, even with 4-wheel on the tractor. 3 tires would just spin, so my remedy is to add chains to the rear. It sounds like you may have a cab if the dealer is advising only chaining the front. The rear would be the best place for the chains since you'll have the most weight there and the rear has the ability to drive both tires. I'm pretty sure you can add some spacers to the rear wheels to get enough clearance for the chains.

If the problem is the vehicles then a tooth bar may be the better option for breaking up the ice to get it off the driveway. But as mentioned above, gravel is likely to come with it.

Rick
    2017 JD X758 54HC deck, 54" front blade, Reugg Cat1 3pt, & Front Fenders
    2018 JD 3039r Deluxe Cab w/ Air Ride Seat & Mid PTO; 320r Loader w/ HD bucket, 3rd function, & BoltOn Hooks & Receiver; 375A backhoe w/ 18" & 9" buckets; 72D deck; Horst Forks; Ballast Box; Landpride FDR 2584; ProWorks Tree Puller; EA 55" Wicked Grapple

FS: 72D autoconnect deck setup for 3r tractors

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    07-27-2018 @ 05:50 AM
    Thanks
    Throw a sand and salt mix on the ice. The sand will give you traction and the salt may help break up the ice. Use a broadcast spreader or just spread it by hand. I hope your driveway is not to long! I have use my rear box blade on my 4044R to help peal off ice on a warmer day. My driveway is also gravel, but I plow an addition 60 accounts with a pickup and a Fisher Vee plow. 50 today and mud and 3" to 5" tomorrow, maybe we will get some winter after all, I have only had 16" to date. Last winter I ended up with over 100".
    JKR, BigJim55 and Fjordfarm like this.
    JD 4044R
    JD 4210

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-30-2019 @ 12:08 PM
    Thanks
    Maybe not a super cure for ice, but claims to help limit road damage

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...kid-shoes.html

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 06:06 PM
    Thanks
    Wearing away the teeth is not an issue,, my teeth started to wear,,
    I surfaced the teeth with this,,

Robot Check

The wear instantly stopped completely,,,

If you are gonna break ice,, either go backwards,,
    or make sure the bucket stops take all the strain off the cylinders,,,

If the bucket "catches",,, the cylinders can POP!!
    JKR, BigJim55, Neb and 1 others like this.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CADplans For This Useful Post:

Neb (02-09-2016)

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-27-2019 @ 06:34 PM
    Thanks
    I have a "snow edge" by ratchet rake.. It's works pretty well.. Just watch their video for how it works and you'll get the idea.. I got it mainly to protect my concrete and it absolutely does that.. But it works well on gravel too.. Doesn't matter what you use though.. If you exert weight and pressure down onto gravel.. Some is gonna move no matter what you try..
    BigJim55, keane and Fjordfarm like this.
    2014 1023E - R4 Tires - H120 Loader - Ballast Box - Forward lighting kit with Artillian horse blinders - 48" Ratchet Rake Snow Edge - 42" HLA Forks
    2017 Z540R - 54" High Capacity Deck - Forward Lighting & Mulch Kit - 60" Farm King Rear Snow Blower

12. Top | #9
    Jer
    Last Online
    11-13-2017 @ 09:24 PM
    Thanks
    If you scratch up your gravel it'll still be there in the spring when it melts...... the suggestion of driving backward with the teeth down is a good one. The scarifiers on a boxblade would work too.

Someday I'd like to get a stretch of that rigid rake stuff that they use on grader blades to chew up packed snow and ice and put it on the backside of my blade to do just this...

-J.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2014 JD 5075M (just barely pre T IV emissions), H310 with bucket mounted grapple, HLA powertine forks, 8' HLA snowblade, Schulte SDX-840 Snowblower, Rhino 12' Flail, 6' Sweepster 3pt PTO broom, hydraulic toplink from CCM, LED lights front and back, big pile of 3pt implements.

2006 JD 3120 with R3 Turf Tires, 300x loader, Artillian Forks & Trailer Mover

Gator 825i S4 - NOW WITH TRACKS!!!

2014 pre-emission 997 with 60" deck

Wish List:
    now that I have a cozy cab, nothing really....

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    11-02-2019 @ 11:00 PM
    Thanks
    A straight edge is your best bet, but will remove gravel too, as has been mentioned. Can the drive be contoured to prevent ice build up? If crowned right with proper channeling, ice build up should be minimal. Getting the snow off early is also key. If it's shady, might not work. I know a lot of guys use pipe to help keep from digging up the gravel. But that won't help with ice. Other than that: chemicals, sand, cinders.
    BigJim55 likes this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements