Snow sticking to your snow blower housing?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Snow sticking to your snow blower housing?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,288 Posts

To those of you with a JD 47" or 54" front snow blower, do you have a problem with snow sticking to the inside of the housing? I never have issues with the chute clogging but the snow just seems to stick like crazy to the inside of the housing. The area above the auger usually packs solid as does the area and corners behind the auger. It doesn't seem to matter if the snow is wet or fluffy. Again, I've had no problems at all with the chute clogging.

I store my equipment in an unheated detached building so my blower is at the same temperature as the outside air.

I'm ready to try some kind of spray like silicon or PAM. The dedicated snow blower sprays seem very over priced but I would be willing to try one if it works.

After the last snow I spent about 20+ minutes chiseling the snow from the inside of the housing and never did get it all cleaned off. It was hard as concrete.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,637 Posts
    Yep spray the cheapest Pam from Family Dollar or where ever , don't spend the money for the name brand stuff.
    I usually spray just the chute area , haven't tried inside of the housing but it should help.
    UnionSchnauzer and TJR345 like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    Yep spray the cheapest Pam from Family Dollar or where ever , don't spend the money for the name brand stuff.
    I usually spray just the chute area , haven't tried inside of the housing but it should help.
    I used my wife's PAM spray once. It worked well but I got in trouble. Now I use Snow-jet spray: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ymer%20coating
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    11-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    I never really have much trouble with snow sticking. I use silicone spray. I always clean as much of the snow as I can with my hands and a fox tail brush. Then I engage the snow thrower again once again before I park it in my garage. My garage is unheated but what little snow remains tend to melt away.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:51 PM
    Thanks
    This year for poops and giggles I sprayed my chute and blower housing with Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector. I had been running the blower at low RPM. The chute plugged. I powered up to fully throttle and pushed into the snow, and for the first time with this blower it unplugged itself. Surprised the heck out of me.
    UnionSchnauzer and tj1 like this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Deere 1025R TLB View Post
    This year for poops and giggles I sprayed my chute and blower housing with Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector. I had been running the blower at low RPM. The chute plugged. I powered up to fully throttle and pushed into the snow, and for the first time with this blower it unplugged itself. Surprised the heck out of me.
    Regardless of the snow consistency I have had zero problems with the chute clogging. Even when blowing pure slush along the road.

The image below shows the areas where the snow packs and sticks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blower_stick.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	130433
    Superglidesport likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:47 PM
    Thanks

Check out Fluid Film, this stuff works very well!!!!

http://www.fluid-film.com/applicatio...ter_equipment/

"FLUID FILM will not freeze, remaining active to migrate on metal surfaces. Penetrating metal pores, FLUID FILM creates an airtight seal that blocks road salts and moisture. Remaining slick in sub-zero temperatures, FLUID FILM is an excellent release agent for snow, helping to keep snow and ice from building up or sticking to metal. FLUID FILM is also the perfect product for winterizing equipment stored indoors and out."
    Last edited by bhill; 02-14-2016 at 04:35 AM.
    dieselshadow and tj1 like this.
    2006 JD 3520
    300CX
    I-Match
    Frontier BB2272
    Frontier AF11E-6 Way Snow Blade
    Frontier SS1079 Poly Spreader
    ABI Classic 50 Manure Spreader
    Speeco Model 65 PHD
    Land Pride- Rotary Deck Mower
    Rimguard 610 lbs
    Ballast Box 510 lbs
    Artillan Forks
    Kens Bolt On Hooks.
    2012 JD Gator 825i
    Deluxe Cab with heat

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Thanks

Tried the cooking spray -- didn't work for me

I tried the cooking spray. After a few times the auger and interior seemed to be really sticky and made things worse until I cleaned it all off. I saw a previous thread on this topic recommending the fluid film. I bought some and I'm going to try that.

Several people commented that the exhaust hits the blower and warms the housing. So any of the solutions to this problem (curved end piece for exhaust, deflector) may help reduce this problem.

My garage is semi-heated. I have to take the blower outside and let it go down to ambient temperature (5 to 10 minutes) before using it.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 AM
    Thanks
    Snow tends to stick / build up in my blower. It does not seem to cause any issues for me. I have never had the blower plug up even when blowing slushy snow.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    In the past I have soaked a rag in diesel or used motor oil and then rubbed down the inside of the snow blower. It seems to work well for the cost and has the added benefit of also being a rust preventive.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast