$3400 for a snowblower gets you a plastic impeller and an junk gearbox - pics
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: $3400 for a snowblower gets you a plastic impeller and an junk gearbox - pics

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-10-2019 @ 11:06 PM
    Thanks

$3400 for a snowblower gets you a plastic impeller and an junk gearbox - pics

Sorry to be so angry but I am furious actually. Used the blower for about 2 hours you can see how new it is in the pictures only to see that the gearbox cover has bent off. Then I search and see the exact same picture from another user. What is going on with these? Clearly they should have bolted the corners of the plate and the real issue here is that the plate extends past the edges of the gearbox.

Then I am thinking i will get a new plate, nope they only sell the gearbox so here in the middle of winter I will have a battle with my dealer and need the machine I spent $25k on to blow snow.

So I guess I will remove the plate today try to hammer it flat and then I a going to grind the edges down.

This is outrageous for a machine this expensive and then to find out no replacement parts are available. I expect this with MTD not with a lower costing this much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1984.JPG   IMG_1983.JPG   IMG_1985.JPG  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:37 PM
    Thanks
    Hear that.....They can and should do better....Hope Mother Deere takes care of you.....
    rtgt, Levi, JKR and 2 others like this.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Unfortunately there just wont be time. I need the machine working so later today in the -5 temps I will need to remove the cover, bang it out and grind the edges down. If I knew someone with a machine shop I am sure they could make a cover slightly smaller (so no protrusion off the edges to allow this) but it's a bigger deal than I want at the moment, plus for the $3400 I don't think I should need to do this.

I cant find the picture from the other user but it was almost identical to my damage and he also had a new machine like me.
    Levi likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 997 Posts
    Disappointing I know. Don't try straightening the cover with it on the gearbox. You may end up with a broken casting.

Drain the gearbox. Remove & straighten the cover. File or grind the excess material off the cover and reinstall & refill the gearbox. I'm not sure if there's a cover gasket or whether they're using a liquid sealant. You should be OK.
    DRobinson, rtgt, Levi and 3 others like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,640 Posts
    Wow ,,, sorry about the bent cover, and would think Mother Deere will take care..

Do believe I would just leave it alone if it isn't leaking anything or would allow moisture to get inside the gearing , use the blower . If only the complete gear box is available ,that is what Deere would replace.

So using the blower the way it is right now, its running with no problems, use the heck out of it.

Big question what may have caused this to bend. I've had my 47-48" for going on the second winter and all is well so far.
    Last edited by etcallhome; 02-14-2016 at 09:08 AM.
    RandyM, fdmars, arlen and 5 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Sounds good to me, I got a 240v heater trying trying to heat the garage up some. Well see how it comes out.
    etcallhome, DRobinson and Levi like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,141 Times in 2,583 Posts
    Previous thread from last year: http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...er-needed.html

Looks like exactly the same issue.
    RandyM, rtgt and Levi like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 11:15 AM
    Thanks
    Hiya,

I don't envy you doing that in the temps today

Did you catch it on something when you raised it or did it get get an object on the flights and catch the corner? It looks to be 3/16 steel so it would take a serious hammer to put that back straight unless you put some heat on it. Looking at the main casting, I would say the designers stayed away from corner bolts because it allows them to make a smaller casting with stronger corner joints. If you had a bolt on the corners instead of a bent plate, you may have had a broken casting, I'll take a bent plate over a broken gearbox.

As far as no replacement covers, I don't believe Deere makes the gearboxes on their implements, they source them from external suppliers. I would expect that those suppliers are contracted to supply only the gearboxes and as such, that's all you can get. Some implement makers do have replaceable components for the gearboxes, Land Pride and Woods I believe make their gearboxes in house and do list every component as a replacement part number.
    RandyM, etcallhome, rtgt and 5 others like this.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

11. Top | #9
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,344 Times in 2,613 Posts
    Looks like a stamped cover with raised edges to me.
    etcallhome, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    05-30-2017 @ 04:50 PM
    Thanks
    What did you hit that it bent the plate?
    etcallhome, rtgt, Levi and 2 others like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast