PTO Extender to use with iMatch and RC2048

Thread: PTO Extender to use with iMatch and RC2048

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:45 PM
    Thanks

PTO Extender to use with iMatch and RC2048

Ok, I've been reading all night and have a couple of questions. Before those, I did not get an iMatch when I got my 1026R and RC2048. I'm going to start getting some new attachments and have decided that iMatch is the way to go. Ordered it Friday 7/13 and picked it up today, it is the new model. I'm set on bushings, I've read about those and measured until I'm pretty sure I'm good. Hopefully I haven't missed the detail on these questions somewhere simple:

1. I've read conflicting information about using a PTO extender with a rotary brush cutter. Is it ok to use one to compensate for the 4" that the iMatch adds? In the PTO sticky here it says yes, but other places I've read that it is not.

2. If so, is this the correct one to use? Pto Adapter 1-3/8 X6 Spline Male X 1-3/8X6 Spline Female Pto Adapter

Thanks in advance
    Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 10:51 PM
    Thanks
    I am sure there is plenty of conflicting information out there. I would think using the implement without a device to make it farther back would be best followed by getting a longer drive shaft or portion of a drive shaft if the overlap in the shaft isn't sufficient. Why not start by determining if the shaft has enough overlap not to use an extender. There must be some de rating value for using something like that if the manufacturer (Deere) even approves in it. Back when I was a teen ager one guy I worked for told me of an extender of sorts but a one way device that came off and went flying close to him. I know those kind of devices have been in tractor shops for a long time but when I have seen them they were welded on probably because the other splines had problems. Surely it puts more load on the bearings. Does Deere even offer an one piece longer pto shaft that sticks out of the tractor farther as an accessory, that would be superior. What about the guards they are designed for the stock set up wouldn't you think?

Fran

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    05-09-2019 @ 09:30 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with Fran...k, make sure you need one first. I have not needed to extend or change a drive shaft after I installed my iMatch. If I did, I would go out and purchase the proper length drive shaft. It really is a personal choice and what you are more comfortable with doing.
    2014 John Deere 4720 Premium Cab, 400CX Loader w/ 73" HD Bucket, Artillian Forks, 681 Tiller, PHD400, Ballast Box, Frontier TR2058 Overseeder, Frontier SS2067B Broadcast
    Spreader, iMatch, JD HD Sprayer.
    2013 John Deere 997

1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee - Currently disassembled waiting for restoration.
    1947 Allis Chalmers Model B - Still running great - handed down from my Grandfather to my Father to me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    05-13-2016 @ 01:31 PM
    Thanks
    For what its worth, my RC2048 and the shaft that came with it is more than acceptable, with the iMatch without any extensions. All direct from the dealer so it should work just fine.
    Cheers

Bob

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input. I'll skip the extender and do it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by dschuffert View Post
    make sure you need one first.
    You know what? I should probably do that first. I should stop reading about it and get some real measurements. In my defense, it was pouring down rain last night and I couldn't put the two together...

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:14 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,150 Times in 2,589 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post
    You know what? I should probably do that first. I should stop reading about it and get some real measurements. In my defense, it was pouring down rain last night and I couldn't put the two together...
    Yeah, if you just bought everything and the shaft has not been cut yet then you should be fine. IF you do need an extender however, the one you linked is the correct one.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. Top | #7
    rgd
    Last Online
    02-18-2019 @ 11:52 AM
    Thanks
    Dont do like I did! I bought my tiller before buying the quick hitch (Speeco).And...I cut the driveshaft . Well,naturally,it was 4 or so inches too short when the quick hitch was installed, so I then had to buy the extender too The driveshaft is at a very severe angle when I raise it up all the way,so I have to make sure the PTO isnt engaged when doing that. I tend to forget a lot and it makes me remember immediately.
    JD 2520 TLB
    JD gt 275

Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Ok, according to my dealer they cut the shaft since I didn't get the iMatch. He couldn't tell me how much today, that mechanic was off, or something like that. Tonight I was able to get 1 set of measurements in before the rain set in again. With the iMatch and the bh w/pto hooked up, the shaft is 40" between the centers of the joints, they overlap 18" and it is flat at cutting height. At fill up, it shrinks 1.5" and at full down it grows .375". I'll get measurements without the iMatch in the next break of the downpour, but I expect it to be about 4" shorter.

The manual does not give any shaft lengths, or overlap specs. Does this sound ok, or do I need to start looking for 4 inches?

Thanks for all of the feedback so far.

Dan

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements