Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Buying a Snow Blower from afar

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks

Buying a Snow Blower from afar

Living in MD, I have seen no 47 or 54 blower set-ups for sale locally. I have come across a set-up for my machine but it is hundreds of miles away. I am working with the dealer to get more information. Based on these pictures the bearings in the quick hitch and drive chain have suffered from sitting out in the yard through this past winter. He is going to have his tech take a closer look and give me more feedback, but based on this pictures, would you buy from a distance?

Lee

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3627.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	135921

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3626.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	721.5 KB 
ID:	135929
    johnH123 and Gebada22 like this.
    2305, 200CX loader w/53" bucket, 62C MMM, and 47 SB.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:33 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,632 Posts
    Here is my thought after looking at those pictures. This dealer doesn't care about its used items. Hoping this is a low price,! What does the front look like.?

I bought mine used , a non JD dealer and it had no rust on chain or the spindles.

If I was driving any distance ,before taking the trip, he would send me pictures of the chain after it is lubricated and I could tell everything was in working order.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,698 Times in 1,285 Posts
    That thing sat out in the weather more than just this past winter. That chain is completely toast. If the visible components are that bad then figure that the rest of the shafts and bearings look the same. If you are getting it cheap enough that you can rebuild it and still come out saving money then it might be worth a go but I certainly would not pay much.
    ejb69 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 04:38 PM
    Thanks
    *shrugs* Would I buy? No telling. I don't have enough info to make that decision.

The chain in the pics wouldn't really be of much concern to me. I've seen chains look worse in very little time if they are left outside. They are easy enough to clean up.

Just based on the pics I would plan on replacing those PTO bearings. They may end up not needing it but I'd plan on it anyway and figure that into whatever price he's asking.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    Here is my thought after looking at those pictures. This dealer doesn't care about its used items. Hoping this is a low price,! What does the front look like.?

I bought mine used , a non JD dealer and it had no rust on chain or the spindles.

If I was driving any distance ,before taking the trip, he would send me pictures of the chain after it is lubricated and I could tell everything was in working order.
    He admitted to me that he took this in trade back in September. I have no idea how the previous owner treated it. It is advertised as a 2005 model. Is there any way to validate that from the serial number?

Price is still in the air. He is selling the whole set-up for a 2210/2305, blower, implement drive/upstop and quick hitch. If he gets more current pictures, I will add to this thread. At this point, the ball is in his court. I am not in a hurry. If I was going to buy this unit, I would be eager to get indoors and get everything freed up, cleaned up, and greased.

I guess here is the $99 question..... How much would that set-up be worth as it sits? Assuming that the rest of the pictures indicate that nothing is broken or bent, what would it be worth as a "sweat equity" project?

Lee

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ljnelson109 View Post
    I guess here is the $99 question..... How much would that set-up be worth as it sits? Assuming that the rest of the pictures indicate that nothing is broken or bent, what would it be worth as a "sweat equity" project?
    What set-up is it? You mentioned both the 47" and 54" in the original post but haven't told us which this is.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    What set-up is it? You mentioned both the 47" and 54" in the original post but haven't told us which this is.
    Sorry Jim, I am not trying to be sly here. It is the 47". Here is their current listing.
    2005 John Deere 47 Snow Blower For Sale » Cazenovia Equipment Co., Inc.

As I mentioned though, I have them looking at it and working on a bottom line price.

I am shocked by how bad the exhaust stains are on the back side of the blower. That to me says either many hours blowing snow or it lived on the machine all year round. Thoughts? Concerns?

I value the opinions of this group!

Lee
    johnH123 likes this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-22-2019 @ 06:45 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ljnelson109 View Post
    2005 John Deere 47 Snow Blower For Sale » Cazenovia Equipment Co., Inc.

I am shocked by how bad the exhaust stains are on the back side of the blower. That to me says either many hours blowing snow or it lived on the machine all year round. Thoughts? Concerns?
    You would be surprised how quickly the soot builds up. From the pictures that looks like a pretty clean unit. You should start looking at CL and eBay to see what a beat unit looks like. With the hitch and shafts I can't see this going for less than $1500 in a private sale and closer to $2000 from a dealer unless he just wants it to go away.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2005 - JD 4110, 54" front blade, 47" snow blower
    2004 - JD X595, 54" front blade
    2000 - JD 4100, 410 FEL

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    No prob! ;)

That set-up brand new is $3500. They want $1995.

If you wanted to replace the chain and bearings you're probably looking at $200 in parts (I'm talking about ALL of the bearings in the entire thing).

Most of the crud on it looks like just that - crud. I don't see a whole lot of rust (other than on that PTO shaft bearing carrier) so I *think* it should clean up pretty easy. I did notice some rust in the impeller opening and I'd want to look at that closer. That's one spot where snowblowers tend to rust just because the paint gets stripped off every time a pebble gets shot through the things. I'm not sure that's exhaust either. I had similar staining on a chipper that got left outside for a couple of years. Looked pretty much the same. But it all washed right off with a garden hose, a sponge and 15 minutes of elbow grease. I think it was just gunk from leaves and dirt splashing up when it rained.

If it were me, I'd offer him $1500 and see what they say. I'd go as high as $1700.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    No prob! ;)

That set-up brand new is $3500. They want $1995.

If you wanted to replace the chain and bearings you're probably looking at $200 in parts (I'm talking about ALL of the bearings in the entire thing).

Most of the crud on it looks like just that - crud. I don't see a whole lot of rust (other than on that PTO shaft bearing carrier) so I *think* it should clean up pretty easy. I did notice some rust in the impeller opening and I'd want to look at that closer. That's one spot where snowblowers tend to rust just because the paint gets stripped off every time a pebble gets shot through the things. I'm not sure that's exhaust either. I had similar staining on a chipper that got left outside for a couple of years. Looked pretty much the same. But it all washed right off with a garden hose, a sponge and 15 minutes of elbow grease. I think it was just gunk from leaves and dirt splashing up when it rained.

If it were me, I'd offer him $1500 and see what they say. I'd go as high as $1700.
    Thanks Jim. This is very helpful.

Lee
    BigJim55 likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast