• 2 Post By John 54

Thread: 4 in 1 bucket vs debris grapple bucket vs root rake

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-03-2019 @ 12:19 PM
    Thanks

4 in 1 bucket vs debris grapple bucket vs root rake

All,

I'm trying to operate a 3 series tractor with FEL on manicured lawn. Sometimes I have to pick up brush and regularly have to haul away seaweed that has washed up - trying to avoid dragging/scraping bucket across lawn to fill the bucket with these items. To be able to scoop up materials would be ideal. I also will occasionally have downed trees/stumps to pull around, although this will not be the minority of the work performed.

I will have a separate heavy duty bucket with toothbar for non-grabbing type operations.
    Looking for your thoughts on a 4-in-1 bucket (will also be moving some materials including rock and dirt) vs a debris grapple bucket vs a root rake.

I'm concerned the seaweed might just fall right through the root rake.

thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 01:54 PM
    Thanks

4 in 1 bucket

I have a 4 in 1 bucket on my 1025r, it is mounted on a self leveling FEL. I love it, here in Australia we don,t have all the options you get in the US of A.(I have not seen a grapple here) but because of our OH&S laws all FEL's must be self leveling, so there is a thriving industry in after market loaders, most of which come standard with 4 in 1 buckets. Because the loaders are self leveling the buckets do not require spill guards so the buckets are smaller but hold the same amount of material in standard form as the OE John Deere buckets. The 4 in 1 bucket is heavier than the standard bucket so you loose a bit of capacity, but I gladly trade off some capacity for the versatility of the 4 in 1. The some of the things I like about the 4 in 1 are- I don't have to change implements. For example I removed a small tree the other day, I pushed it over and stuck the bucket under it to lift it out of the ground, I then picked it up with the hydraulic grab of the bucket and took it away on my way back I picked up some dirt and filled and leveled the hole, all without leaving the seat of the tractor. You know that last bit of dirt that won't go into the bucket, just open the bucket put it over the dirt and close it job done. There are many other uses, the uses are only limited by your imagination.
    Regards John
    PS sorry about the upside down picture don't know what happened?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0088.jpg   IMG_0089.jpg   IMG_0086.jpg  
    rtgt, OxPath, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.

4. Top | #3
    JKR
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:08 AM
    Thanks
    I would look at a grapple. I just like the open tines that the dirt can fall out and you just have what you want to pick up. Like rocks, sticks, and your seaweed. Then you can leave the sand on the beach.
    https://youtu.be/9DwH39W1faE
    BigJim55 likes this.
    3033R, HST, 3SVC, 60" heavy bucket with replaceable blade, H165 loader, Trans and engine heater, 60" tow behind mower.
    hydraulic top link, Line kit, 72" hydraulic power angle plow, JD pallet forks, 60" box blade, 60" scraper,
    72" rear rake, Homemade rock bucket, Post hole digger.Piranha Tooth Bar, Ballast box, rear chains,

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks

4 in 1 bucket

It depends what your requirements are as to which one you use either the grapple or the 4 in 1. If you want to clear are clearing woodland the grapples probably the way to go. But have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnDenO9ktKU to see the versatility of the 4 in 1
    Regards John
    PS here is an attachment for a 4 in 1 that makes leveling a breeze https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjnWDTQvVNU
    BigJim55 and johnH123 like this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 10:35 AM
    Thanks

Red face China?

Quote Originally Posted by John 54 View Post
    I have a 4 in 1 bucket on my 1025r, it is mounted on a self leveling FEL. I love it, here in Australia we don,t have all the options you get in the US of A.(I have not seen a grapple here) but because of our OH&S laws all FEL's must be self leveling, so there is a thriving industry in after market loaders, most of which come standard with 4 in 1 buckets. Because the loaders are self leveling the buckets do not require spill guards so the buckets are smaller but hold the same amount of material in standard form as the OE John Deere buckets. The 4 in 1 bucket is heavier than the standard bucket so you loose a bit of capacity, but I gladly trade off some capacity for the versatility of the 4 in 1. The some of the things I like about the 4 in 1 are- I don't have to change implements. For example I removed a small tree the other day, I pushed it over and stuck the bucket under it to lift it out of the ground, I then picked it up with the hydraulic grab of the bucket and took it away on my way back I picked up some dirt and filled and leveled the hole, all without leaving the seat of the tractor. You know that last bit of dirt that won't go into the bucket, just open the bucket put it over the dirt and close it job done. There are many other uses, the uses are only limited by your imagination.
    Regards John
    PS sorry about the upside down picture don't know what happened?
    From the middle picture I see you did some work in China moving stumps.

Ol Man
    5304 and johnH123 like this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    From the middle picture I see you did some work in China moving stumps.

Ol Man
    Not China, Australia ( The land Down under )
    Regards John
    joshn3448 and Agent921 like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:31 AM
    Thanks
    Is the 4 in 1 bucket available in the states for the 1 series? I always liked the 4 in buckets!
    2016 1025r TLB, H120 loader with 53" bucket, Piranha tooth bar, Ken's hooks, 54" mechanical lift deck/auto connect & mulching kit, 260 backhoe with 12" bucket, Titan pallet forks, County line post hole auger
    1987 318, 50" deck

Reluctant member of hitting the Rops on the garage door TWICE
    (Gone but not forgotten) 1947 John Deere D, 1984 318, 1985 430
    Stihl MS290 20" bar
    Stihl FS110 Trimmer
    Stihl BR350 Backpack blower

99 Honda Foreman S

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements