Anyone used this type of land leveler/grader?
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By NickRo
  • 1 Post By JD322
  • 1 Post By ddinham
  • 1 Post By TonyBMI
  • 1 Post By CADplans
  • 1 Post By Milharri
  • 1 Post By balrog006
  • 1 Post By Milharri

Thread: Anyone used this type of land leveler/grader?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 11:46 AM
    Thanks

Anyone used this type of land leveler/grader?

Hello everyone,

As we are getting ready to move in to our new house with a pretty long gravel driveway, I am beginning to look at potential implements that will help me maintain the driveway (while giving me seat time ) and keep it nice and smooth (since we are already getting ruts, although it's not done yet either). I did a lot of searching the last week or so, and have seen a lot of good discussion on the type that uses 2 tilted blades, but couldn't find any discussion on anything similar to the type below.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	land-leveler.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	136121 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hawkline_LandLeveler1.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	136129 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	landplanered6fta.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	296.7 KB 
ID:	136137

I know a lot of people like the other type and have had a lot of success with them, but I see a potential benefit of this design too in that it will move the material side to side more quickly to help fill ruts and pot holes. So, has anyone used one like this?

Whatever I end up doing, I will be building it myself as I have access to materials that are dirt cheap if not free, and an entire machine shop of tools to build it. My thought is to kind of combine the two styles. It would have the two sharper V's like the first example above to move material side to side quickly. My thought is that the second V would be raised slightly too so that it lets some material under it as it pushes it back out rather than only creating two mounds at the ends of the V. Then, instead of the rounded back, I could have a tilted blade at the back like the typical land plane that I've seen around here to help smooth everything out nicely.

On the other hand, once I get it smoothed out nicely, as long as I keep on top of it, a regular land plane/grader would be all I would need, I wouldn't need the aggressive movement of material of the above designs.

I'd love to hear anyone's suggestions and comments, since this type of implement is pretty new to me, I just want to make sure I end up with something that will work well. Thanks!
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1025R (block/coolant heater, power beyond, iMatch, Ballast Box), H120 Loader (53" bucket), 54" Front Snow Blower, 60" Autoconnect MMM (with mulch kit), 4' tiller, forks, homemade driveway grader

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:43 PM
    Thanks
    NickRo,

I have personally not used either type of land plane. However, I have seen models like the red one and the yellow one perform very well doing track maintenance at tractor pulls, the family pulls a pair of John Deere G's. After every hook the scraper fills in the ruts with the loosened material in front of the pan, and then a roller compacts that material. This is on a dirt track, I'm not certain how they would perform on gravel, but I suspect the same. They look to be much lighter than a land plane / grader, if it bounces too much weight could always be added.
    Last edited by JD322; 02-24-2016 at 04:14 PM.
    BigJim55 likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:51 PM
    Thanks
    Not sure how well it would work on gravel, but suspect it would work better on dirt. I currently use a rock rake for initial smoothing and then switch to a 3pt 2 section harrow for the final smoothing. Works for me and I can use them for other things too.

Dave
    BigJim55 likes this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Banned
    Last Online
    03-19-2016 @ 10:57 PM
    Thanks

Leveling

The red one is close to ones I have seen here. One guy uses his for the tractor pulls and works fantastic. The other hauls ground up concrete or asphalt and fine grade with his. To only problem I have noticed is the material will over flow the angle plates. You have to be very close to finish grade. But work great. Bob Cat has a attachment much like those but uses it on the front of the bob cat for spreading black top soil or sand for drive way sand walks when using pavers. Wel worth the investment or make one your self
    BigJim55 likes this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 10:40 PM
    Thanks
    After 30+ years of taking care of my driveway,,,
    I have found I will not use any attachment that will disturb the crown of the driveway.

I use either a blade or a landscape rake to move edge material towards the center.

NEVER disturb the crown,,,,

Now, to clarify, my driveway is almost continuously on a grade.
    If I loose the crown,,, water will wash ruts.
    The crown pushes the water quickly to the edge.

The three tools pictured look like the perfect thing for a flat driveway,,,
    BigJim55 likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    After 30+ years of taking care of my driveway,,,
    I have found I will not use any attachment that will disturb the crown of the driveway.

I use either a blade or a landscape rake to move edge material towards the center.

NEVER disturb the crown,,,,

Now, to clarify, my driveway is almost continuously on a grade.
    If I loose the crown,,, water will wash ruts.
    The crown pushes the water quickly to the edge.

The three tools pictured look like the perfect thing for a flat driveway,,,
    You can always tilt the 3ph to maintain the crown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BigJim55 likes this.
    3046r Cab, H165 w/61" bucket, Frontier 72"BB, MX6, and Woods TCR68" Tiller.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Milharri View Post
    You can always tilt the 3ph to maintain the crown.

Or work solely on one half at a time to prevent flattening of the crown.

If the implement and the tractor are on one side of the slope from the crown the grade of the drive and the implement should match and you shouldn't effect the crown either.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    Or work solely on one half at a time to prevent flattening of the crown.

If the implement and the tractor are on one side of the slope from the crown the grade of the drive and the implement should match and you shouldn't effect the crown either.
    True

I tend to keep the right side about 1" lower. It seems that with the rains that to road will start to lose its crown on its own so I go down the right side and come back on the other right side.

BigJim55 likes this.
    3046r Cab, H165 w/61" bucket, Frontier 72"BB, MX6, and Woods TCR68" Tiller.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements