It was time to address rear ballast so I recently purchased a new JD ballast box. I knew I was pushing some work with my loader last year and just took delivery Monday of a new Artillian grapple. It was time to apply a bit of common sense. I want to thank all those who kindly posted their ballast box builds as I borrowed something from everyone
I wanted to install a 2" receiver so I drilled horizontal and vertical holes in the receiver to pass rods through.
I then welded angle and flat iron to the rods for extra retention. The flat iron in the picture is leaning, but I straightened it when I poured the Quikrete. I also added another piece of matching angle iron under the receiver after I took this picture. I positioned the receiver as close to level as possible when I tacked the rods. I was able to fine tune the leveling once poured. I decided to go this route vs. fabricating an external mounting plate. I am a novice welder so I thought it best to hid my work in Quikrete.
I inserted one 4" tube for chains and 2 2" tubes for tools. I poured seven bags of 80lb Quikrete. I drilled drainage holes on each side for water although my plan is to store the unit indoors. I felt this was cheap insurance. I purchased a thin rubber mat for the flat top of the Quikrete which I need to cut yet. I also made a small black seal to put around the receiver to cover up the cuts. I need to decide if I want to remove a couple inches off the pvc as they are a bit tall.
Was a blast to work on. Again I want to thank those who posted their projects as there is nothing new here. I borrowed from everyone. This is one of the great things about GTT.