• 1 Post By RandyM
  • 2 Post By Ray_PA

Thread: 60' HD Broom on x739

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    03-24-2016 @ 12:24 PM
    Thanks

60' HD Broom on x739

We have 5 x739 tractors with 60" rotary brooms. Since Winter of 2014 we have broken the shaft that runs between the gearbox and the chain about 5 times on different brooms. Some multiple times. The shaft will break right at the drive sprocket. It looks like it just twists right off. I called my dealer and they have not heard of any such thing. The other dealer near me said that the local school has the same broom and went through 3 shafts over the same 2014 winter.

These shafts are a PITA to repair. I cannot for the life of me press the shaft out of the gearbox which means I have to also replace the gearbox as well as the shaft and misc. parts. This is getting to be a regular thing and it isn't fun to have to do in a time crunch. It has gotten to the point that the local dealer stocks the parts to repair these, which is why I am surprised there isn't a TAC case.

I thought maybe it was because they were engaging the PTO with the engine at full speed but my dealer said that shouldn't matter. Also when the other shafts broke I noticed the chains were super dry and some links were seized so I figured they were binding but this recent break the chain was nice and free.

Any ideas?

Also, Hi, I'm Travis, the grounds mechanic for the State of Michigan.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:40 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,706 Times in 1,293 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GroundsMechanic View Post
    I thought maybe it was because they were engaging the PTO with the engine at full speed but my dealer said that shouldn't matter.
    This is normally not best practice when using shaft-driven implements.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    That was my thought but on these tractors the PTO comes on slowly and not instantly to keep it from that slam on engagement.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    11-19-2019 @ 09:34 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 674 Posts
    I have had my 60 broom for over 7 years and have never broken the shaft and this is the first time I have heard of your problem. The only thing I have done besides routine maintenance is pull the gearbox and put new seals in it. I don't understand your need to press the shaft out of the box unless they are highly corroded. My shaft came out quite easily, but when I re-assembled it I never seized it and the key. Something isn't adding up here. How badly corroded are your brooms? Does the brush spin freely with the PTO disengaged? Are your bearings good? Is something miss-aligned? Any funny noises when they are running? Lot of questions to answer. And yeah, tell the operators to stop engaging the drive at full RPM.
    etcallhome likes this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Another thought, are you keeping the chains tensioned properly? What are you using the brooms for? Are they set properly for height and contact area?

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyM View Post
    I have had my 60 broom for over 7 years and have never broken the shaft and this is the first time I have heard of your problem. The only thing I have done besides routine maintenance is pull the gearbox and put new seals in it. I don't understand your need to press the shaft out of the box unless they are highly corroded. My shaft came out quite easily, but when I re-assembled it I never seized it and the key. Something isn't adding up here. How badly corroded are your brooms? Does the brush spin freely with the PTO disengaged? Are your bearings good? Is something miss-aligned? Any funny noises when they are running? Lot of questions to answer. And yeah, tell the operators to stop engaging the drive at full RPM.
    I would have to assume they are corroded enough to not press out. They sit inside a garage with high moisture, and two salters which are usually full of salt. I don't like it but I have no say in anything anybody does and even if I did, they would still do whatever they wanted. As far as the condition of the broom, the bearings are fine, I can turn the broom by hand and the pto shaft will turn when not connected to the tractor but I have never supported the pto shaft and tried to spin the broom. I replaced this shaft and gearbox last March for the same reason so all the parts are a year old. Everything was aligned correctly. As far as noises, I don't run these machines and the people who do don't pay attention enough to noises or the such. They don't usually even report when something is broken until we need to use the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyM View Post
    Another thought, are you keeping the chains tensioned properly? What are you using the brooms for? Are they set properly for height and contact area?
    I had modified the tensioner when I installed new chains because I found that only the tip of the tensioner was touching the chain when adjusted properly, even with a new chain. I ended up drilling a new hole up a bit and now the chain rides on the tensioner much better. The brooms are used mainly for snow removal and sometimes surface cleaning. I adjust the contact patch whenever I service the machines and if anything, the bristles when worn, would have less drag on the surface.

The people running these machines, and all our other machines, are not the brightest. They are just laborers with no responsibility or accountability for anything they do. Their thought is if they break something, oh well, not their problem.

Then to top today off I find out somebody put diesel fuel in the tranny filler of our brand new 544K wheel loader. FML.
    56FordGuy and BigJim55 like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    You are correct the, the tensioner is a poor design and I too modified mine to work better. It really sounds like you are doing all the right things you can. My next thought is your operators are running the brush up against something and jamming it. I know this doesn't help but, if we have covered all of the logical mechanical issues there aren't many left.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to the forum.

Next thought would be to modify the new shaft immediately with a welded on sleeve and bore the sprocket to match. Problem is, if the operators are jamming the brush and the shaft doesn't break something else will. Also, Never Seize the shaft and gearbox so you don't have to replace both if there is a next time.
    Last edited by RandyM; 02-29-2016 at 01:31 PM. Reason: added next thought
    BigJim55 likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,150 Times in 2,589 Posts
    No shear pins on these brooms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post

Yes, there is one that attaches the drive shaft to the gearbox. But, if his units are as corroded as I am led to believe, the drive shaft and gearbox are froze together.
    Ray_PA likes this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:01 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post

I was thinking the same thing. I just got a 52" broom. According to the parts breakdown, the 52" and 60" use the same driveshaft. My driveshaft simply slides on the broom gearbox (no splines or key). You align a hole in the driveshaft yoke and the gearbox input shaft and insert the shear bolt.
    Of course the shear bolt will only do it's job if the shaft is not corroded fast to the shaft. A little never-seize does wanders.
    That said, if the drive shaft is free on the input shaft, the shear bolt should be the first thing to break. For sure not the driveshaft. I am amazed the chain or gearbox didn't break before the drive shaft.
    The shear bolt is item 5 in the breakdown.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails John Deere - Parts Catalog - Frame 5_52 Broom Gearbox.pdf  
    RandyM and BigJim55 like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray_PA For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (02-29-2016)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements