What's a functional condition 60" bush hog worth?
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Jim Timber
  • 3 Post By Jim Timber
  • 2 Post By Jim Timber

Thread: What's a functional condition 60" bush hog worth?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-31-2019 @ 02:17 AM
    Thanks

What's a functional condition 60" bush hog worth?

Prices are all over the place on these things. Beat to snot ones seem to move off CL for 4-900 bucks pretty quick. There's even a $1700 used one listed right now and it doesn't look all that well made either.

I got a Squealer 60 today with a missing input shaft and all the bearings/gear for what I think was pretty fair price, and will have about $500 into it without fixing the half-dozen issues with the side rail edges. It's got a nice eurocardan clutch and yolks and the shields are all present and good shape - so the PTO shaft is worth $150 itself. The blades looked good, and the stump jumper appears to be unscathed. I think the previous owners were just good at hooking things and pulling/pushing them into the sides/back of the tin. SQ60's have a reputation for losing oil seals, so the gear box being toast doesn't surprise me in the slightest. One report on TBN said they were charged $400 for fixing it. I've got a new 40hp Omni coming for $155. I'll have a spare hub out of the deal if all goes my way too.

60" is too narrow for my tires, so I'm probably going to run this through the property a little to make sure all is kosher and throw it back on CL. Not sure if I should bother trying to dress it up or not? It's been welded on before, but otherwise the deck looks really nice considering.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 00m0m_6HajIcxdmZ8_600x450.jpg   00q0q_gXmnfXx2hbg_600x450.jpg   00r0r_gYAexaTE90U_600x450.jpg   01717_lj241rM8egS_600x450.jpg  
    BigJim55 likes this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Got my new Omni gear box via Brown Santa yesterday, took the bush hog over to my buddies place and we used his tractor to lift it up, then with a little heat and a couple hammer taps the stump jumper was off. About 5 minutes later the new box was in and we were banging out dents.

The Omni was a direct replacement with perfect fit in every dimension. Didn't even need a different hub for the stump jumper, so now I have a spare.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160305_204439[1].jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	866.3 KB 
ID:	142793
    56FordGuy, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:02 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Jim Timber, glad for u, it's always a bitter sweet when a guy can save some money fixing things his self. want pics when hooked to ur tractor.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    When we were working on this, we were discussing ideas for my 8' twin rotor cutter I've been cogitating building.

I've got some seams to weld up, and will put it in the bush and give her a go for sure! After that, she might not stick around long. Mid July BH prices should go up and I may send this one on it's way and use the proceeds to whip up something more my style (and weight).

The deck and sides are only 3/16" so I'm just going to do it up North with my little Hobart 120v mig (that way I can use my loader to position it). We managed to pull the big dent out of the side with a piece of square tubing and a C-clamp. Worked really well.

The blades are brand new. Sure would love to know the story on how they ended up selling it missing the innards. There was some oil under the deck, but it was a single large spot about a foot diameter and I have a hard time thinking that was the lower seal these are known for spitting. If I had to guess, I'd say it was more likely caused by a pinhole in the tin and leaked down from the top. The top of the deck is drenched in gear oil.

Maybe they seized the clutch and hit something major, replaced the blades and then found out the input shaft was toast? Stump jumper cowl isn't even 1/8" (the tin that covers the heavy bar that holds the blades) and there's no dents on it.

Oh well, I'll likely never find out. I've got more scars than I can keep track of too.
    rtgt and Levi like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements