• 1 Post By rtgt
  • 1 Post By BeaglesBounty

Thread: 2025R King Kutter Finish Mower PTO Shaft size Question

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-07-2017 @ 02:44 PM
    Thanks

2025R King Kutter Finish Mower PTO Shaft size Question

Ok, so I purchased a used King Kutter Finish mower (side discharge) and a Land Pride Rb1560 Blade.

Both are used but overall good condition. My question is, the PTO shaft is a little worn, and I believe it is to have at least 8 inches of travel, and this one has 0 inches of travel. I was able to get it completely off the mower. It measures 32 inches. Not sure if it's extended at all or if that's the closed measurement.

Is there only one standard PTO for this type of mower, or are there multiple lengths? The shaft does fit on the PTO of the tractor, but it is unable to securely fit all the way forward to where the locking pin detents.

Uploading photos!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1220.jpg   IMG_1223.JPG   IMG_1224 2.JPG   IMG_1225 2.JPG  
    Last edited by BeaglesBounty; 03-01-2016 at 09:17 PM.
    BigJim55 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:30 PM
    Thanks
    Worn is an understatement. You can buy a PTO shaft and have it cut to fit the right length. It looks like that PTO shaft is done as it appears to have had no grease for a long time. I personally would junk it.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    2008 JD 2320 w/FEL
    RB 2072
    SB 1154
    LR 2072

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacTractor View Post
    Worn is an understatement. You can buy a PTO shaft and have it cut to fit the right length. It looks like that PTO shaft is done as it appears to have had no grease for a long time. I personally would junk it.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    That was my thought as well! Where should I go to buy a new PTO shaft. There are a ton on Ebay, but It's hard to tell which one is the right one!

When I was attempting to install this particular one on the PTO of the tractor, it barely touched the tip of the PTO.

It should fit all the way on the PTO and clip in place with the PIN DETENT right?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,154 Times in 2,309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaglesBounty View Post
    That was my thought as well! Where should I go to buy a new PTO shaft. There are a ton on Ebay, but It's hard to tell which one is the right one!

When I was attempting to install this particular one on the PTO of the tractor, it barely touched the tip of the PTO.

It should fit all the way on the PTO and clip in place with the PIN DETENT right?
    Tractor Supply and most other farm stores should have them in stock.

The drive shaft is meant to slide - as in extend and retract. Of course yours won't do that having not been maintained and now damaged. They are actually 2 pieces - one tube is larger than the other so one side will slide over the other. Here is a cutaway of how it looks:

I would shy away from a place like eBay for something like this myself......

http://www.agrisupply.com/pto-shafts...ies/c/3500000/
    Last edited by coaltrain; 03-02-2016 at 12:34 PM.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Tractor Supply and most other farm stores should have them in stock.

The drive shaft is meant to slide - as in extend and retract. Of course yours won't do that having not been maintained and now damaged. They are actually 2 pieces - one tube is larger than the other so one side will slide over the other. Here is a cutaway of how it looks:

I would shy away from a place like eBay for something like this myself......

PTO Shaft, PTO Parts, PTO Adapter, PTO Power Take Off, Eurocardan
    Thank you for the Diagram. Now I can tell why it won't slide anymore.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thank you for the Diagram. Now I can tell why it won't slide anymore.
    Ok, bought a new Pto shaft at Tractor Supply. 200$ but it looks like what was on there originally, but now in brand new condition. Bought a new Sheer Pin and Safety Chain.

Should be good to go now!
    coaltrain and Gebada22 like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,154 Times in 2,309 Posts
    Ok, bought a new Pto shaft at Tractor Supply. 200$ but it looks like what was on there originally, but now in brand new condition. Bought a new Sheer Pin and Safety Chain.

Good. That old one was very unsafe even if you managed to get it to hook up.

Another reason for the shaft to slide like that is to allow it to move in and out as the mower raises and lowers.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 08:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 865 Posts

Have you checked the new shaft length to make sure it is not too long?

Without putting the shaft on the tractor/mower, raise it all the way up and measure the distance between the tractor PTO shaft and the mower gearbox shaft. The shaft needs to be a few inches shorter than that distance.

If the shaft is too long, when you raise the mower and compress the shaft bad things will happen.
    RandyM likes this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgt View Post
    Have you checked the new shaft length to make sure it is not too long?

Without putting the shaft on the tractor/mower, raise it all the way up and measure the distance between the tractor PTO shaft and the mower gearbox shaft. The shaft needs to be a few inches shorter than that distance.

If the shaft is too long, when you raise the mower and compress the shaft bad things will happen.
    I've not had a chance to check the fitment. But, when I do, I will give a follow up. In the King Kutter manual, it explains how to cut the shaft to proper length for those types of situations.

From simply laying it next to the old one, the new shaft has about 3-4 inches additional in the completely compressed state. It fully extends to 40" if needed. It should be good to go now. The 3 point on the mower actually has 4 different lengths that can be adjusted. This must be to accommodate tractor sizes, and maybe PTO shaft lengths.
    rtgt likes this.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements