• 1 Post By TonyBMI

Thread: Home made hydraulic winch

1. Top | #1
    Banned
    Last Online
    03-19-2016 @ 10:57 PM
    Thanks

Home made hydraulic winch

I have mentioned a few times here that I was making a hydraulic winch from scratch. Since the weather decided to warm up I dug it out from the corner of the garage. Here it is for you guys to take a look at. Far from finished but it is a start. Going to either make a adapter to fit the I Match or slide on the draw bar. Going to use synthetic line and a block and hook. It will run off of the valves I put on the PB and the one section has a detented float that way it will free wheel. Maybe if mother nature has decided to warm up I can get back to work on it. I had to stop to rebuild the 54 snow blower last summer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160304_155001.jpg   20160304_155028_002.jpg  
    56Nine likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Nice project. Can't wait to see it all finished.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pcabe5 For This Useful Post:

TonyBMI (03-04-2016)

5. Top | #3
    Banned
    Last Online
    Thanks

Winch

Quote Originally Posted by pcabe5 View Post
    Nice project. Can't wait to see it all finished.
    Thanks I am caught between two thoughts. As I mention the Draw bar mount or make a mount for the I Match and make a blade that will lower with the I match so when you pull it digs into the ground. If I was going to use steel cable I would make a screen to protect the user form a back lash if the cable broke. With the synthetic line no need for that. So a few decisions to make before doing the final build.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Thanks

Pulling power?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBMI View Post
    Thanks I am caught between two thoughts. As I mention the Draw bar mount or make a mount for the I Match and make a blade that will lower with the I match so when you pull it digs into the ground. If I was going to use steel cable I would make a screen to protect the user form a back lash if the cable broke. With the synthetic line no need for that. So a few decisions to make before doing the final build.
    I would be curious on what the line pull might be. I know my electric winches have a planetary between the motor and spool. I'm not sure about hydraulic winches but it strikes me that you will have good speed but maybe not a tremendous line pull. I could certainly be wrong as I don't have any experience with hydraulic winches.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:51 AM
    Thanks
    Looks like an interesting start for a project...
    I also have thought some about the idea of using a 12V winch on my 3pt receiver hitch adapter... I already have a short lift arm to go on the receiver hitch top link location to lift one end of a log to skid.. Works well.. Remember.. ALWAYS pull with the draw bar only...

My receiver adapter bolts to a cat1, 3pt draw bar... So having a place to bolt a couple dogs to dig into the ground while using the winch would be easy..

Be sure to update your project..
    Good luck...
    Keep your stick on the ice... Red Green

The further north you go, the more things that can and want to eat your horse and you. Grandpa Gilbert.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    11-10-2019 @ 08:30 PM
    Thanks
    Just by looking at the pic , I might have add that it looks like you have no reduction gearing,spool clutch or braking..some things to consider

10. Top | #7
    Banned
    Last Online
    Thanks

Winch

Quote Originally Posted by powerline View Post
    Just by looking at the pic , I might have add that it looks like you have no reduction gearing,spool clutch or braking..some things to consider
    I originally designed this to lift burial vaults out of the ground for a transfer to another cemetery. When they have been in the ground a while there is a lot of suction that you have to over come. Also the weight of any water that has gotten inside. The hydraulics on the loader would not lift some of them and had to use the 12 ton crane on a vault truck. If all the calculations are right it will lift 10,000 lbs. As for the hydraulics it will be slower as I am using the 4100 PB system. I had designed it for a 1/2 line and a little more pressure. As for the gear reduction I used a demo TLB and they had a winch set up that was a quick connect. This will operate from the control I have pictured a few times here. It has locking float that will allow the drum to run free to pull out the line, the direction will be with the valve as to in and out. True there will be no gear reduction and no lock, other than the valve stopping the flow once the handle is in neutral. Was designed for the loader that had a lock feature on the hydraulics. Closed a electric valve thus locking the hydraulics. I figure if I can made a drop down plate that will dig into the ground then it will add more pulling resistance instead of the tractor which doe snot weight much. Will be pulling off the 3 point but with the added resistance of the plate digging into the ground. Figured if it wold lift 12 ton with a 3600 pound pressure then sure should pull 3 tons at least but will be slower. I figured might as well use it instead of tossing it. If it doe snot work then I at least learned what not to do next time.
    Last edited by TonyBMI; 03-04-2016 at 08:42 PM.
    Creekdrifter likes this.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements