Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Homemade grapple help

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-01-2019 @ 08:58 PM
    Thanks

Homemade grapple help

Hey
    I'm in the process of designing a grapple, i am trying to figure out what length of stroke I will need for my cylinder.
    I have never built anything with a hydraulic cylinder before so not too sure exactly how it will work.

I am drawing the grapple in autocad, and based on my design I need a 3" stroke cylinder, which seems really short and not sure how I get so much movement out of the top jaw

I expected to need at least a 6"

Anyone with grapples, how much stroke do you have for full open to full closed?

does my drawing look like it should work just fine with the 3"?

thanks in advance for any help!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	openclose.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	142641
    johnH123 likes this.
    2014 1025r
    R4 tires, H120 loader with QA actuator and switch, 60" auto connect with electric over hydraulic lift/diverter valve, Frontier 54" snowblower w/ custom electric chute, homemade pallet forks, JD ballast box, 53" bucket, custom built rops/light bar, homemade IMatch quick hitch, homemade hydraulic grapple, Frugal Front Backhoe

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,344 Times in 2,613 Posts
    You're not giving that cylinder much leverage. Try moving the stationary cylinder mount up a few inches.
    mjncad, 5304, flyweight and 2 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    05-20-2019 @ 05:24 AM
    Thanks
    Couple of observations:

1. As Dieselshadow said. I would raise the fixed location away from the arm for more leverage.

2. I would also move the grapple attachment point to utilize the max range. No sense in using a 24" cylinder if you only need 3".

3. With a design with only 3" of travel, the flow is going to need to be valved way back. That grapple is going to FLY open or closed. You can also over size the cylinder bore, but that gets expensive.
    mjncad likes this.
    1025R w/rear light kit, 49" H120 FEL, 12" 260 BH, 60D MMM, 2048 Rotary Cutter, BB5048L Box Blade, 50# wheel weights, 4x42#suitcase weights, 5' TSC Landscape rack, TSC modified Carry-All, 42" Titan Pallet Forks, Heavy Hitch Toothbar

D130 JD Lawn Tractor, Polaris Ranger 400, 18' Gator Made Lowboy Trailer,

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-30-2019 @ 12:08 PM
    Thanks
    3x8x1 75 Double Acting Hydraulic Cylinder 9 5460 A | eBay

Looks like they are out of stock. 2 cylinders w/shipping was 123.00

I used 1" 4140 round stock for my pins, bought from a local machine shop. Used 2 plumb bobs and a magnetic torpedo level to insure the pin axis remained level and parallel to the axis of the square tubing frame. I left the 4140 long for this purpose and simply measured from the plumb strings to the frame and then to the pin to insure the distances were equal on both ends of the round stock.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7358.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	890.6 KB 
ID:	142817

Name:	100_7551.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	840.4 KB 
ID:	142825Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7555.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	142833

I tried to pick out pics that would best show the relationship between the grapple pivot point and the center of the cylinder pivot pins.

ETA: Bear in mind that my grapple is for a 55HP tractor but built to withstand probably one twice that size. It is 80" wide. I do not know what size tractor you have and you need to design accordingly.
    Last edited by mtrmn; 03-06-2016 at 07:52 AM.
    robpm, 5304, JKR and 1 others like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    thanks for the suggestions fellas!

I have moved the stationary mount up a couple of inches, and also moved the mobile one a bit, I now have a 6" stroke and the geometry looks a lot better.

as far as cylinder bore.....I was planning on using a 2" because they are on sale right now, but I see some of the grapples online that actually list their cylinders are using 3-4"

the 2" I am looking at has 10,000lbs of force, why would I need more than that?
    or are the larger bores being used just to slow it down as fred suggested?

thanks again for the help

Name:	grapple1.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	142841
    johnH123 likes this.
    2014 1025r
    R4 tires, H120 loader with QA actuator and switch, 60" auto connect with electric over hydraulic lift/diverter valve, Frontier 54" snowblower w/ custom electric chute, homemade pallet forks, JD ballast box, 53" bucket, custom built rops/light bar, homemade IMatch quick hitch, homemade hydraulic grapple, Frugal Front Backhoe

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 08:27 PM
    Thanks

figure the down force

Quote Originally Posted by Leney View Post

I have moved the stationary mount up a couple of inches, and also moved the mobile one a bit, I now have a 6" stroke and the geometry looks a lot better.

as far as cylinder bore.....I was planning on using a 2" because they are on sale right now, but I see some of the grapples online that actually list their cylinders are using 3-4"

I would figure the actual down force on the grapple, particularly the points or teeth. With a low angle, it might surprise you what the actual force at the tooth end is, particularly when almost closed. (Hmmm, is that the sine of 10 degrees or so. Dang, trig was a long time ago.)

At some point in my future, I will relocate the cylinder on my manufactured grapple as others have suggested. I'll move it higher and probably replace the cylinder with a longer stroke as mine doesn't quite close all the way. It's very workable the way it is, but could be improved. A higher mounting point and longer stroke will help both the closing force and the tooth to frame gap on mine. The downside might be that the grapple won't open quite as wide as it currently does. That's the other dimension you will want to look at, does the top arm open enough for your projected use.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-31-2019 @ 02:17 AM
    Thanks
    I got a couple 3.5x8x1.5 or 1.75 (I forget which) from Surplus Center for $50 each plus postage that I was going to use for my grapple before buying a Woods out of expediency. The 2.5" on many commercial units are under sized to increase speed and they're still not all that quick with a 11gpm pump pushing them. The clamping force is marginal in my opinion. These having such a large range of motion reduces the effective gripping substantially. This isn't to say they're going to lose a grip on something reasonable, but the leveraged forces involved in clamping a large log are greater than the force capable on the lever with the cylinder bore provided. These jaws take a remarkable amount of pressure when you factor in all the geometry and physics involved in use. Everything's a compromise because weight becomes a limiting factor against strength - you cannot over build this tool, you can only make it too heavy to use with your machine; thus some medium must be accepted.

If we had more flow, it'd be cool to make a twin hinged lid. You could have a lot opening with a second hinge - think of your fingers, they have 3 joints.
    JKR and johnH123 like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    11-14-2019 @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leney View Post

leney,

hope you dont mind, but i had time to kill so i looked at your drawings and put it into 3D. i dont have the clamp(s) done yet, but here is the rake:

Name:	grapple rake1.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	209.9 KB 
ID:	143098

Name:	grapple rake2-jdqa.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	218.7 KB 
ID:	143106

Name:	grapple rake3.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	246.1 KB 
ID:	143114

Name:	grapple rake4.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	260.7 KB 
ID:	143122

i tried to follow it as close a possible, but there are a few small variations. hope you like it!
    mjncad, JKR, OldmanX and 4 others like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    hey that's really cool, thanks john

my design will have 7 lower jaws and 4 uppers

anyone else have any input on cylinder size?
    johnH123 likes this.
    2014 1025r

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    11-14-2019 @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    if you have something that can open .SLDPRT and .SLDASM files i can send them to you if to want.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements