Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: QUICK DETACH OVERRUNNING CLUTCH COUPLER and wood chipper pto

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-31-2018 @ 01:17 PM
    Thanks

QUICK DETACH OVERRUNNING CLUTCH COUPLER and wood chipper pto

Well i just bought a 3 point hitch pto wood chipper for my JD 2320 Now i hear than when you stop the pto the flywheel on chipper may do same damage/strain on tractor pto till it stops Some use a QUICK DETACH OVERRUNNING CLUTCH COUPLER Any advice if i need or notClick image for larger version. 

Name:	pto clutch.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	143778
    Last edited by danmorea; 03-08-2016 at 11:32 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-31-2019 @ 02:17 AM
    Thanks
    What would get damaged? My stump grinder has a bunch of inertia and when you disengage the PTO it just keeps spinning until it winds itself down.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Timber For This Useful Post:

danmorea (03-08-2016)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,331 Posts
    Over running couplers were used for older tractors that didn't have live PTO. Like the old Ford 8N - the PTO works off the transmission directly - push the clutch in and the PTO stops along with the tractor drive. With those types you needed the over running coupler so as not to put backlash pressure on the gears when the implement was winding down.

I know someone here can explain it better than I can......
    Kennyd and etcallhome like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

6. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

danmorea (03-08-2016)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Over running couplers were used for older tractors that didn't have live PTO. Like the old Ford 8N - the PTO works off the transmission directly - push the clutch in and the PTO stops along with the tractor drive. With those types you needed the over running coupler so as not to put backlash pressure on the gears when the implement was winding down.

Yes for same older tractors i know is a must to have just i do not know for new ones if it helps/hurt/nice to have On a second thought i wonder if this coupler can be use as an extension if my drive shaft for my rottotiller is a bit short- was match to fit a JD2210 and now i have a JD 2320 A new drive shaft like mine/eurocardan is like 4-500

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-09-2017 @ 03:55 PM
    Thanks
    I use one with my chipper. I don't like the thought of the tiny little pto brake trying to stop that 200 pound flywheel.
    rtgt and coaltrain like this.
    2000 355D, 54C MMM
    2008 4120, 400CX FEL

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Interceptor For This Useful Post:

danmorea (03-08-2016)

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,331 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
    I use one with my chipper. I don't like the thought of the tiny little pto brake trying to stop that 200 pound flywheel.
    Not a bad idea at all.
    rtgt likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

danmorea (03-08-2016)

13. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,714 Times in 1,301 Posts

Most of these newer tractors have a PTO brake which can see a lot of stress from heavy spinning masses.
    PaDave, rtgt and danmorea like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

14. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks

safety

It was also an important safety issues with the older tractors. The PTO was a direct connection to the transmission so if the clutch was pushed in the implement would still drive the tractor forward until all of the PTO rotation stopped. There was no secondary PTO clutch to break that connection when the PTO was engaged.

If you have a PTO brake on your newer equipment an overrunning coupler might be a good idea. I doubt a PTO brake designed to stop lawnmower blades would stand up to chipper head rotation for very long. I don't have a PTO brake on any tractor but while it's a cool safety idea, I don't see it being very long lasting with larger equipment where there's a heavy weight turning at high speeds. In that case, somethings gonna give. I really don't want to be around if you try to stop a heavy flywheel really quickly with a brake on the other end of a PTO shaft.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

15. Top | #9
    Last Online
    10-31-2019 @ 02:17 AM
    Thanks
    Why would you have a PTO brake? No power being fed means the frictional losses will stop it before long anyway. Is this something they do to protect Harry Homeowner from himself?

I can turn my output shaft by hand when the PTO clutch isn't engaged (no power to it).
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

16. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Timber View Post
    Why would you have a PTO brake? No power being fed means the frictional losses will stop it before long anyway. Is this something they do to protect Harry Homeowner from himself?

I can turn my output shaft by hand when the PTO clutch isn't engaged (no power to it).
    me i can not turn pto shaft if i just stop the pto with yellow switch jd 2320

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast