Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: JD Ballast Box question

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-12-2016 @ 09:45 AM
    Thanks

JD Ballast Box question

I will be taking delivery of a JD 2032R the middle of April. I ordered a ballast box as part of the FEL package. On the Artillian Forks web site they advertise a ballast box trolley. In their picture they show a short JD ballast box.
    Here's my question. Many of you have mentioned a JD ballast box w/ extension. Is the extended box a factory option, or is the short box being fabricated with an extension in the aftermarket?

Thanks, Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:04 PM
    Thanks
    Deere sells an extension kit to bolt onto the standard Deere ballast box. I believe the part number is BW15074.

Since you are ordering everything new, your dealer can order a ballast box WITH extensions for you as an all-in-one kit as well. The part number for that is BW00488.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:02 PM
    Thanks
    The extension is a JD factory option.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Is the standard JD ballast box really inadequate ballast to handle most general loader work? Dirt, gravel, etc.
    Your thoughts please.
    I would rather be safe than sorry!

Dan

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    I use the standard box (no extensions) with my 2032R with no problems. I filled mine with 400# of pea gravel so between that and the box, it's probably about 500# total. (I also have my rear tires loaded).

If I was doing more heavy loader work I'd change out the gravel with concrete and add a little bit more weight. Deere recommends Fluid-filled rear tires and 350 kg (772 lb) of 3-Point Hitch Ballast. and you can just about get that with concrete. If you want to get there with gravel/stone, you pretty much have to use the box extensions.
    rtgt likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thank You for the good information JimR. Not sure I want to go the rear fluid route to prevent ground rutting when mowing on softer ground.
    I will be calling my JD dealer and ordering the box w/ extension kit. Hopefully that box filled as well as the weight of the iMatch hitch will be adequate to handle the 53" bucket.
    Is Pea Gravel best fill recommendation? Don't want to go concrete route, want to stay with something removable.

Thanks, Dan
    rtgt likes this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    11-18-2019 @ 09:05 AM
    Thanks
    Not sure of the total weight you want back there but Heavy Hitch has a sixteen weight hitch that would give you up to 700 lbs of weight. That would be sixteen 42 pound weights plus the hitch. Since it uses the suitcase weights it is more expensive that the ballast box but I like that I can take it off by hand. I just used mine yesterday (I have a 1025R and eight weights) and had no problems.

https://heavyhitch.com/store/categor...3-point-hitch/
    Heavy Hitch likes this.
    2015 1025R FILB, iMatch, 53" Bucket, 54D Mower Deck, 54" Snow Blower, Heavy Hitch Dual Suitcase Weight Bracket, Heavy Hitch Front Weight Bracket, EA 48" Plugger, Garber 48" 3 point Seeder, Kens bolt on hooks, CountyLine (Tarter Gate) 60" box blade, Kenda Terra Trac HDAP tires (front and rear), CozyCab Sunshade, TSC CountyLine (Tarter) 48" yellow rototiller, BXPanded 25 gallon 3PH sprayer.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:05 PM
    Thanks
    I have the JD ballast box and think it is a good fit for you without the extensions. I used it this way on my 1025R and it was plenty. I lined it with bricks and then put my 7 42# suitcase weights on top of that. Yesterday I installed the extensions on it as now I need more ballast on my 4066R. I have had the 4066R for over a year and have yet to use the ballast box as most of the time I have the 1500# rear finish mower on the tractor and that suffices. However, during the winter, I find that my 8ft hyd angle rear blade is lacking as a ballast and need to rectify the situation, hence the extensions. I have a couple of old 200# wheel weights to put in there plus some old brake rotors, bricks and the suitcase weights. I am thinking about dropping by the scrap metal place and see what I can scare up there. I have noticed when I use the loader (hitch receiver installed) to move my gooseneck trailer with 1500# tongue weight, I sometimes have to use 4 wheel drive as the rears do not have enough traction even with wheel weights installed and the rear blade on it, so I am getting the ballast box ready for use and needed the extensions for additional weight capacity.

Dave
    5304 likes this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DubyaDan View Post
    Is Pea Gravel best fill recommendation? Don't want to go concrete route, want to stay with something removable.
    I'd be hesitant to call it "the best". I used it because it was cheap and easy. (under $30 and 20 minutes of work)

You could also use scrap steel, standard barbell weights, car tire lead weights or almost anything to fill the box. If I had the time and equipment, I'd collect tire weights from local garages, melt them down and make ingots to stack in the box. Heavier materials that don't leave air space will get you more weight in the box. (so you might be able to get more sand in a box than pea gravel and more pea gravel that rip-rap, etc...)

If you have a scrap metal yard nearby you might be able to find plate steel to use too. It's really a matter of what you have access to and how much you're willing to spend.
    johnH123 likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DubyaDan View Post
    I have a 2720 and use the ballast box with extension. I put small concrete bricks in mine and was able to get the recommended weight. While the contents are removable I'm not sure how much of an advantage that is. I mean, unless I was selling the box and needed to empty it for transport I can't foresee a situation where you would want to empty it. The extension gave me a place to put my chain box which itself weighs around 80 lbs.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	Ballast_ext1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	327.0 KB
ID:	145217 Click image for larger version.

Name:	E26R0224.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	145225

Keep in mind that JD recommended loaded tires or wheel weights in addition to the ballast box. The loaded tires will stabilize the tractor, the ballast box off-loads the front axle. If you plan to use pallet forks JD recommends an additional 180 lbs above the normal recommends ~700 lbs.

It's all about being safe and not damaging your front end.
    Last edited by jgayman; 03-12-2016 at 01:58 PM.
    Brians2032R and johnH123 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast