Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Land plane for gravel road

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-03-2016 @ 08:43 PM
    Thanks

Land plane for gravel road

Have any of you guys had much experience grading roads with a land plane?
    I have about a 1/2 mile of road to maintain and am looking to either purchase or build a 84" wide plane.
    Just looking for a way to save time for other chores being i work away from home mostly thru the week and mainly only have saturdays to catch up. Any info on use, buy or build will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    11-03-2019 @ 11:37 AM
    Thanks
    I just did a post on my land plane work. It's under the "landscape" thread below and was started on 3-2-16. You can find it there.. It's actually titled "box scraper use" that's what I was going to use then switched to land plane.

I don't know how to do a link on this iPad.

Welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by Rope_Chucker; 03-29-2016 at 09:46 PM.
    mjncad and BigJim55 like this.
    Terry
    World Series of Team Roping member
    John Deere 2440
    Howse bush hog
    J-Bar 7' blade, rake & post hole digger made by somebody
    bunch of home made pull-toys, groomer, bale spears
    Dodge dually '03

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rope_Chucker For This Useful Post:

DS Ferguson (03-30-2016)

5. Top | #3
    Fit Rite Hydraulics MtnViewRanch's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:51 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DS Ferguson View Post
    Have any of you guys had much experience grading roads with a land plane?
    I have about a 1/2 mile of road to maintain and am looking to either purchase or build a 84" wide plane.
    Just looking for a way to save time for other chores being i work away from home mostly thru the week and mainly only have saturdays to catch up. Any info on use, buy or build will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    I maintain over 2 & 5/8 miles of road and fence line. My land plane grading scrapers (LPGS) are my go to implements for general road maintenance. What size tractor will you be using? You may not want-need a 7 footer. Do you actually have a gravel road, (1/2"-3/4" rock) or is it a dirt road?

Most of my roads are either decomposed granite (DG) or just dirt along the fence lines.

Here are the 2 different makes that I typically recommend. The Grademaster is probably more realistic for cost. While the Road Boss is probably the best unit available, but they are expensive and not worth what they want cost wise IMO.

I prefer the industrial rated units. My 7 footer weighs about 1400lbs and is what I use behind my 75hp, 12,000+lb tractor and my 5 footer is about 800lbs and is what I use behind my 5000lb 32hp tractor.

Weight is your friend when it comes to just about any grading task.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PC290001.JPG   PC290005.JPG   PC290007.JPG   P4190012.JPG   P4190015.JPG  

etcallhome, rtgt, BigJim55 and 5 others like this.
    Brian

Manufacturer of Fit Rite Hydraulics

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MtnViewRanch For This Useful Post:

DS Ferguson (03-30-2016)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rope_Chucker View Post
    I just did a post on my land plane work. It's under the "landscape" thread below and was started on 3-2-16. You can find it there.. It's actually titled "box scraper use" that's what I was going to use then switched to land plane.

I don't know how to do a link on this iPad.

Welcome to the forum.
    http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...raper-use.html
    56FordGuy, BigJim55, JD322 and 1 others like this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rtgt For This Useful Post:

DS Ferguson (03-30-2016), Rope_Chucker (03-30-2016), vacruiser (03-30-2016)

10. Top | #5

Last Online
    05-03-2016 @ 08:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thank you guys for the info! I have a 3032 4x4 with a fel.
    My road is mostly packed 3/4"-1 1/2" limestone and after winter freeze and thaws plenty of holes and humps to grade out.
    We have rural king and tractor supply stores here close along with about 4 different tractor dealerships so maybe i can get an idea of available planes in my area if i go store bought, but i love to get my welder fired up every chance i get.
    But again thanks for the info!

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 07:51 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnViewRanch View Post
    I maintain over 2 & 5/8 miles of road and fence line. My land plane grading scrapers (LPGS) are my go to implements for general road maintenance. What size tractor will you be using? You may not want-need a 7 footer. Do you actually have a gravel road, (1/2"-3/4" rock) or is it a dirt road?

Most of my roads are either decomposed granite (DG) or just dirt along the fence lines.

Here are the 2 different makes that I typically recommend. The Grademaster is probably more realistic for cost. While the Road Boss is probably the best unit available, but they are expensive and not worth what they want cost wise IMO.

I prefer the industrial rated units. My 7 footer weighs about 1400lbs and is what I use behind my 75hp, 12,000+lb tractor and my 5 footer is about 800lbs and is what I use behind my 5000lb 32hp tractor.

Weight is your friend when it comes to just about any grading task.
    You need to gets some new pictures. I swear I've seen them about a hundred times. j/k j/k
    BigJim55 likes this.
    3046r Cab, H165 w/61" bucket, Frontier 72"BB, MX6, and Woods TCR68" Tiller.

12. Top | #7
    Fit Rite Hydraulics MtnViewRanch's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:51 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Milharri View Post
    You need to gets some new pictures. I swear I've seen them about a hundred times. j/k j/k
    Yes, I know, I was just talking about that with my brother last night. Not much time these days though, just get done what has to be done and get on with the next thing on the list.
    rtgt, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    Brian

Manufacturer of Fit Rite Hydraulics

13. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-03-2019 @ 02:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DS Ferguson View Post
    Thank you guys for the info! I have a 3032 4x4 with a fel.
    My road is mostly packed 3/4"-1 1/2" limestone and after winter freeze and thaws plenty of holes and humps to grade out.
    We have rural king and tractor supply stores here close along with about 4 different tractor dealerships so maybe i can get an idea of available planes in my area if i go store bought, but i love to get my welder fired up every chance i get.
    But again thanks for the info!
    I have a 3039 with the full cab, but no FEL.I use a 72" Land plane on it for about 2 miles of gravel roadbase driveway. Part of this is a pretty steep grade on a curve and I had trouble pulling uphill until I filled the rear tires with Rim Guard. That stopped them from hopping when the going got rough. It works great now. I put down almost 300 tons of new roadbase on the curved and uphill part this Fall and leveled it between truckloads just fine.
    rtgt, BigJim55 and Rope_Chucker like this.

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    05-26-2019 @ 06:02 PM
    Thanks
    Land plane is big win for gravel driveways. This guy was around $1K or os. Not adjustable, but, price is right. I do my driveway in November so it can re-pack a bit before any snow, and then if needed once more around this time of year.

My 4520 has no problem with this 7' wide one.

I do have to stop a time or two on my 900' driveway to remove grass root clumps. Sometimes they are from the middle, but mostly from the edges where the grass creeps in. It's worth it to keep the driveway clean and not have it slowly get swallowed up by the grass.

Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails landplane_small_1.jpg  
    pcabe5, rtgt, Levi and 3 others like this.
    '09 JD4520 Cab (60HP), '97 KubotaB21 TLB (21HP), 400cx loader, MX6 rotary mower, SB1106 6' Sickle Bar, BB3272 6' box blade, GradeMaster 7' Landplane, Frontier AF11E Front Blade, 4' Pallet Forks, 6' landscape rake, ballast box, Woods GTC 40" tiller, PHD 9" auger, 4' x 8' chain harrow, '16 X755 (23HP Diesel) w/front PTO, 60" deck, 72" front blade, '90 JD318 (18HP gas) with 48" MM mower, 54" front blade, 47" snowblower.
    Volunteer Firefighter.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to eepete For This Useful Post:

DS Ferguson (03-31-2016)

16. Top | #10
    GGB

Last Online
    06-23-2016 @ 11:49 PM
    Thanks
    Here's another big thumbs up for land planes. Mine is a Land Pride GS1560 that I use with my 2032R. It really works well to finish the drive after bringing in new rock or after the winter has done its job. Much easier to control than my box blade or rear blade which I used to use.

When I had my 2210, I had a Land Pride GS1548, which I could stop in its tracks if I tried to take too big a bite. But that was without loaded tires, as I wanted to keep a light footprint for mowing. I'm doing most of my mowing now with my Z930M, so I may load the tires on the 2032R, even though I have the bolt on wheel weights. I can tell it would help in a few places.

Bottom line: a land plane/grading scraper is just about the only thing I use for maintaining my drive.
    pcabe5, rtgt, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to GGB For This Useful Post:

2032Ranger (04-03-2016)

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast