Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Tow-behind aerators for 1025r

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-23-2019 @ 06:13 PM
    Thanks

Tow-behind aerators for 1025r

What's the best tow-behind plug aerators people are using out there and really like?

I'm debating between the 48" Ohio steel pro series w/ spring tines or the 48" john deere one. Suggestions? Thoughts?
    I do have hard clay soil.

Thanks everyone,
    Travis
    Travis Pohlman
    Nebraska
    JD 1025R / FORD 8N

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:08 PM
    Thanks
    I've had my eye on this one just haven't had the money to dedicate to it

Lawn Aerator | Lawn Plugger | Core Aerator
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-27-2018 @ 03:14 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by psrumors View Post
    I've had my eye on this one just haven't had the money to dedicate to it

Lawn Aerator | Lawn Plugger | Core Aerator

I would love to get that one... but damn it's expensive. More apted to get this one.

Tractor 3 point hitch Core Aerator or Lawn Plugger
    Levi, BigJim55 and TJR345 like this.
    --DeereNC

2025R, 62D MMM, H130 FEL, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks, Bxpanded Tooth Bar, more to come...
    Implements: Woods TS52 tiller

Stihl MS261C worked over by Mastermind Work Saws, FS45C
    Dolmar PS3410TH
    Redmax EBZ8500RH

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 09:10 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 674 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeereNC View Post
    I would love to get that one... but damn it's expensive. More apted to get this one.

Tractor 3 point hitch Core Aerator or Lawn Plugger

This is the one I ended up with. Here is my Aerator thread about it. Oh, I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by thpohlman View Post
    What's the best tow-behind plug aerators people are using out there and really like?

I'm debating between the 48" Ohio steel pro series w/ spring tines or the 48" john deere one. Suggestions? Thoughts?
    I do have hard clay soil.

Thanks everyone,
    Travis
    Travis, any reason you are looking at tow-behind rather than 3pt?
    Last edited by RandyM; 03-30-2016 at 07:55 AM.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Randy,
    Couple reasons why I'm considering pull-behind vs. 3pt.
    1. Price - pull-behind is around $300-500 vs. 3pt is around $1200 and up. And I only like buying things new, so used is kind of out for me. Just that kind of guy. I work hard for my toys so I like to get them new if at all possible.
    2. I have relatives that would like to borrow it as well and they have smaller lawn tractors. So 3pt wont work for them.
    3. I love landscaping and making curves w/ the landscape beds is my desired look, I also intend on planting lots of trees. With a pull behind I can make circles around trees and landscape beds with no problem vs. 3pt it really is only intended for straight line use.

I know the 3pt can probably pull better plugs in harder soil vs. the pull behind but I'm concerned about how much better. Is it double the price better.....
    I'm figuring if I pour my own cement block weights w/ handles to sit on the tray of a pull behind I can probably total a weight of about 300lbs. That is taking in the account the weight of the pull-behind + the weights.

Whats your thoughs on all this Randy,
    I'm looking for a honest opinion and recommendation from some w/ the experience already.

Thanks for your help,
    Travis
    Brians2032R and Levi like this.
    Travis Pohlman
    Nebraska
    JD 1025R / FORD 8N

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 09:10 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 674 Posts
    What's your thoughts on all this Randy,
    I'm looking for a honest opinion and recommendation from some w/ the experience already.

Thanks for your help,
    Travis
    Well Travis, since you asked, I think you have given this the thought that it deserves. I do have a couple of comments.

1. Price - pull-behind is around $300-500 vs. 3pt is around $1200 and up. And I only like buying things new, so used is kind of out for me. Just that kind of guy. I work hard for my toys so I like to get them new if at all possible.
    I hear what you are saying and I too like buying new. I do however consider used on items when they appear to be well taken care of and not much can go wrong. I think an aerator is one of those items.

2. I have relatives that would like to borrow it as well and they have smaller lawn tractors. So 3pt wont work for them.
    Loaning out things is just a definite "No-No" for me. Like you said, we work hard for things and I do not buy them for other people to use. Now, mind you, I occasionally will do a job for someone.

3. I love landscaping and making curves w/ the landscape beds is my desired look, I also intend on planting lots of trees. With a pull behind I can make circles around trees and landscape beds with no problem vs. 3pt it really is only intended for straight line use.
    You are correct, a 3pt aerator is definitely more straight line operation. I find I do not have to do circles around my trees, just a slight course deviation and I am good. I also then do a perpendicular pattern to fill in any gaps.

I know the 3pt can probably pull better plugs in harder soil vs. the pull behind but I'm concerned about how much better. Is it double the price better.....
    I'm figuring if I pour my own cement block weights w/ handles to sit on the tray of a pull behind I can probably total a weight of about 300lbs. That is taking in the account the weight of the pull-behind + the weights.
    True you can always add weight regardless of the unit type. I think if you get a quality pull-behind you should be able to pull as good a plugs as any other unit.

On a final note, I am just not a "pull-behind" guy. I have got rid of all my trailer attachments in favor of 3pt units. This includes my sprayer and spreader. Trailer attachments are just a pain in the butt turning and backing up. Hope this helps.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Randy,
    I truly appreciate all the feedback and am going to take your ideas into consideration. It's always a pleasure hearing your advice. I agree I don't like loaning things out either but when it comes to family it's hard to say, no. Anyone else I would rather do it for them or not at all, loaning is not a option. Once again thanks for your help.
    Travis

P.s. The perfect option would be the tow-behind and 3pt combo aerator that was in your link. To bad it's over 2k.
    RandyM and BigJim55 like this.
    Travis Pohlman
    Nebraska
    JD 1025R / FORD 8N

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 06:26 PM
    Thanks
    Last summer I struggled with the same question. I finally bit the bullet and spent the extra money and went with the John Deere. Ordered it from Home Depot, free shipping. It was more money but as soon as it arrived I was impressed with the quality of the parts. Very heavy feel. This unit is made by Brinley for JD. The only problem I had was the packaging or lack thereof. Many of the parts were loose in the box and scratched up both rims and the drawbar sides. After spending the extra money I didn't think this was acceptable. Called Brinley and talked to a lady there that said to email photos of the damage. They approved the new parts same day and shipped to me within days. Never had to send back the old ones. So I have a nice set of pneumatic wheels to use on a project.
    Assembly takes some time. All in all it did a great job of plugging.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to surveyor For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (04-02-2016), RandyM (04-01-2016)

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Thanks

Tow-behind aerators fir 1025r

Travis

I just got my new 3 point 48" plugger today and have already used it. I feel that it is way better than my old tow behind plugger aerator. I think that is mostly due to the weight of the 3ph version (520 lbs) and also the plug knives are much better. Overall I am glad I moved up. The downside is that since it is really heavy I cannot just pull it up to my tractor and go. I would say another downside is that it is pretty big even for a 48" unit so you need the space to store it.

I went with the Everything Attachments tube style plugger.
    Last edited by pilot-five; 04-01-2016 at 08:03 PM.
    FredHickory and BigJim55 like this.
    2015 1025R FILB, iMatch, 53" Bucket, 54D Mower Deck, 54" Snow Blower, Heavy Hitch Dual Suitcase Weight Bracket, Heavy Hitch Front Weight Bracket, EA 48" Plugger, Garber 48" 3 point Seeder, Kens bolt on hooks, CountyLine (Tarter Gate) 60" box blade, Kenda Terra Trac HDAP tires (front and rear), CozyCab Sunshade, TSC CountyLine (Tarter) 48" yellow rototiller, BXPanded 25 gallon 3PH sprayer.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 09:05 PM
    Thanks
    I would look at products by Ryan or Billy Goat for tow behind. I have used both from rental places and been impressed enough to consider new. I would like the Ryan with electric lift, but have not pulled the trigger on it new , as there is one local for sale for which I have been trying to get the price down.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast