Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: Dumb post hole digger question

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    03-01-2019 @ 09:10 PM
    Thanks

Dumb post hole digger question

I am ready to purchase a 3pt. post hole digger for my 1026r and have a silly question. I will be putting in 6" posts for my fence so do I purchase a 6" auger? I know this may sound stupid but do I need to purchase a larger auger to accommodate for leveling the post after it is put in the hole? Or is a 6" auger already over sized to accept a 6" post? Or is a 6" post undersized to go with a 6" auger? Help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 03:22 PM
    Thanks
    A 6" auger will dig a hole very close to a 6" diameter. I think you would want a 9" auger for 6" posts.

I drilled my 6" posts with a 12" auger and I used more cement to fill the hole that I would have if I used a 9" auger, but I need the 12" auger to plant trees. It came dow tot he cost and storage of multiple size augers.

keane likes this.
    Brian

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Brian For This Useful Post:

fuelhog2000 (09-26-2012)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    05-03-2019 @ 03:38 PM
    Thanks
    I got the TSC digger and 9" auger for exactly that. It's actually pretty important to have a bit of space around the post since your holes will often not be perfectly vertical so the wiggle room is handy. Around here (clay), you only need to put concrete in for the gate posts, and possibly the corners (but most don't). Putting the clay back in and tamping with the back side of a breaker bar has made the posts impressively sturdy.

Maybe some other PHD is easier to use on the 1026R, but with mine I have to be really careful not to dig the auger in. I run at idle most the time, and only rev up when pulling out to clear the dirt (more than once a hole). I also put the bucket down and keep high pressure in the tires when using the PHD, trying to reduce the "spring" in the system. Until you develop a sense for when you are digging in, kill the PTO first before pulling up. In the beginning you will have been too slow and the PHD won't come right up, and the delay of trying to bring the PHD up with the 3pt control will only have allowed you to dig in further. You can move the tractor in/out an inch or so to help unstick the auger, but be careful not to go side to side and bend things you don't want bent. Lastly, a large pipe wrench with you helps back an auger out when you need to.

Good luck
    Yelbike, keane and JDsmith like this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HunterWare For This Useful Post:

fuelhog2000 (09-26-2012)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    05-13-2016 @ 01:31 PM
    Thanks
    Also got 9" for 6 inch posts which did compensate for off perfectly vertical holes.

The comments re digging the auger in are very relevant. I did get a little aggressive on one hole and the 1026 didn't have enough - oooomph, to get it out. Pipe wrench and several manual turns later, it was free......Small bites and clearing regularly worked fine.
    Cheers

Bob

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Great advice above. Just one more note. If you're setting square posts, measure them diagonally. I had to use a 12" auger to set 6x6" square posts for a barn. A 9" was too small to pour concrete around the post.
    keane likes this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 56FordGuy For This Useful Post:

fuelhog2000 (09-26-2012)

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    03-01-2019 @ 09:10 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks so much everyone, very useful information that I will use. Now off to TSC to pick up a digger!

12. Top | #7
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:29 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,079 Times in 3,010 Posts
    A lot will also depend on the digging environment. Rocky ground may provide for rather large holes compared to the auger.
    danmorea likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

13. Top | #8

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    Great advice above. Just one more note. If you're setting square posts, measure them diagonally. I had to use a 12" auger to set 6x6" square posts for a barn. A 9" was too small to pour concrete around the post.
    Great point... Hadn't considered that at all, but the diagonal measurement of a 6x6 (5.5x5.5 nominal) would be just over 7.75". A 9" bore hole doesn't leave much room to set the post and plumb it, let alone fill around it with concrete!
    BigJim55 likes this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-29-2019 @ 02:46 PM
    Thanks
    I just bought a TSC post hole digger and 9" auger tonight (still in the crate). The wife demanded the fence to allow letting the dogs out. I'm going to use 3.5" to 4" posts and 6"+ gate and corner posts. I'll just shovel clearance the larger post holes. I plan on concreting most holes after digging 24" deep. The corners and gates I'll go at least 36" deep. I've got to rig up a decent motor operated gate, so she can close it before letting the dogs out. I've got a wrap around driveway, so I have to cross the 12" concrete drive at some point. The new beagle-weiner has been a hand full. I'm initially going with a woven or diamond wire fence, but I may add a board top rail to dress it up later. I still have to determine post spacing and lay it out. I'll try to detail it somewhere on here. I built miles of four and three board faced wood fences for horse farms in high school. I also built some heavy wire fences on buffalo farms. Good times.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    Jason

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:16 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wjfawb0 View Post
    I just bought a TSC post hole digger and 9" auger tonight (still in the crate). The wife demanded the fence to allow letting the dogs out. I'm going to use 3.5" to 4" posts and 6"+ gate and corner posts. I'll just shovel clearance the larger post holes. I plan on concreting most holes after digging 24" deep. The corners and gates I'll go at least 36" deep. I've got to rig up a decent motor operated gate, so she can close it before letting the dogs out. I've got a wrap around driveway, so I have to cross the 12" concrete drive at some point. The new beagle-weiner has been a hand full. I'm initially going with a woven or diamond wire fence, but I may add a board top rail to dress it up later. I still have to determine post spacing and lay it out. I'll try to detail it somewhere on here. I built miles of four and three board faced wood fences for horse farms in high school. I also built some heavy wire fences on buffalo farms. Good times.
    wjfawb0, have u thought of trying the invisible dog fence? I put mine in over a yr ago, using my tractor's 3pt, worked wonderful. big jim--good luck with ur fence.
    Gizmo2 likes this.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast