Like Tree21Likes

Thread: How well do these work for Turf Areation

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Thanks

How well do these work for Turf Areation

Hi All,

Does anyone know how well these work vs. core aeration plugger? This is a John Deere and was supposedly made in the late 60's early seventies. What would be a reasonable price for this item in good condition?
    BigJim55 and TJR345 like this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Thanks

Not sure that's an aerator

Quote Originally Posted by John Deere 1025R TLB View Post
    Hi All,

Does anyone know how well these work vs. core aeration plugger? This is a John Deere and was supposedly made in the late 60's early seventies. What would be a reasonable price for this item in good condition?
    That looks more like a tillage tool we used to run for cultivating. It worked well in soft ground that had been plowed, disked and planted but I doubt it will penetrate sod well.

Treefarmer
    BigJim55 likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Treefarmer For This Useful Post:

John Deere 1025R TLB (04-03-2016)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    11-01-2019 @ 04:59 PM
    Thanks
    I think that is a rotary hoe, not an areator.
    Kennyd, rtgt, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman051 View Post
    I think that is a rotary hoe, not an areator.
    That's exactly what it is, a rotary hoe. It was used to kill weeds in new corn fields prior to cultivating . I spent many hours pulling a set of six gang sections behind a 'G' john Deere as a kid in the early 60's. This was a great weed killer when the corn was to short to use a cultivator effectively.
    rtgt, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    2011 2320 w/R4's, 3rd SCV
    imatch hitch. Soft side cab
    47" front mount snow blower
    200cx FEL w/ 54" dirt bucket - added a 1/2" x 6" DBL Bevel Bolt on Cutting Edge
    42"tined utility bucket w/ grapple
    54" JD 3pt blade w/ hydraulic swivel
    Hydraulic Dump trailer 48" W x 72" L X 24" Deep w/cap of 4500 lbs
    2011 D110 w/ bagger, 42" 2-stage blower
    2016 x380 w/ 48" deep body deck and powerflow bagger
    91 STX38 - this was my Father-in-Law's lawn mower

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:53 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,427 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveb View Post
    That's exactly what it is, a rotary hoe. It was used to kill weeds in new corn fields prior to cultivating . I spent many hours pulling a set of six gang sections behind a 'G' john Deere as a kid in the early 60's. This was a great weed killer when the corn was to short to use a cultivator effectively.
    how did u keep the hoe in between the corn rows, without grinding up a lot of corn that was just starting to shoot up. I run a ole "B" cultivating and damn I had some trouble keeping it from tearing corn out, if I did knock a couple over, always stopped and reset them, seemed to work back then, always worried them was gonna die off and get caught-u know for tearing them out. aw-yeah worked for the neighbor and he had a Alis Chalmers -guess what I got to do for him cultivate too .
    rtgt and Levi like this.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    My grandfather would send my brother and I out to the field with a garden hoe to uncover what he covered up. Removing weeds with a rotary hoe works better the faster you go. I ran ours a couple times, looked exactly like the one pictured but was red, don't remember the brand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:12 AM
    Thanks
    Like said the implement in the first post picture is made from available parts of that time.. Rotary clod breaker usually behind a chisel or other field digger..

When I ran machine shop for a turf care equipment manufacturer, the thinking was core aeration was best option.. Replace able spoons is a plus.. Easier to penetrate the ground.. Not as much equipment weight needed to make it work.. I find out now they even make a machine to sweep up the plugs, shred them and broad cast them back over the turf..

In the group of implement pictures shown, my choice would be the 3pt one with 3 short barrels of core spoons.. Easy to use without any or much extra weight.. Segmented drum will turn corners, into and out of tight corners easier etc.. But then I can't use one at all on this rock pile..

Good luck..
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Keep your stick on the ice... Red Green

The further north you go, the more things that can and want to eat your horse and you. Grandpa Gilbert.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:02 PM
    Thanks
    That is, in fact, a rotary hoe. It was very popular many years ago to knock out the weeds in a corn field, before the advent of chemical spray. Big Jim 55, you did not keep it between the rows. You just ran it over the crop, just keep the tractor tires between the rows. I had one of these for the purpose of aerating, but traded it back to the same guy last year for an 8ft rock rake after moving up to a bigger tractor. My yard now will never be good enough to waste the time on aerating. Plus there is too many acres. This works great as an aerator, but the faster you go, the better it will work, so keep that in mind. What you see in the pic is just a single section of what had been several sections for a much larger area.

Dave
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:53 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,427 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    That is, in fact, a rotary hoe. It was very popular many years ago to knock out the weeds in a corn field, before the advent of chemical spray. Big Jim 55, you did not keep it between the rows. You just ran it over the crop, just keep the tractor tires between the rows. I had one of these for the purpose of aerating, but traded it back to the same guy last year for an 8ft rock rake after moving up to a bigger tractor. My yard now will never be good enough to waste the time on aerating. Plus there is too many acres. This works great as an aerator, but the faster you go, the better it will work, so keep that in mind. What you see in the pic is just a single section of what had been several sections for a much larger area.

Dave
    ddinham-thanks for reply, as I have never before, now ever seen such a implement of this nature, I guess in my mind I thought that it would kinda shred the smaller corn stalks as u went along, but corn is like nothing else, a couple times when I was gardening, and had a bad wind storm come along and lay the corn over bad, then take and pound some small posts in the ground at end of rows, take baler twine and lift them stacks back up some, when the sun would come out, they would straighten back up pretty good, then just rehoe ground up around them better.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:41 PM
    Thanks
    We use a rotary hoe for one purpose only. When the soil crusts over recently planted soybeans due to heavy pounding rain, the soybeans do not have the strength to penetrate the crust. So, we use (driving very fast) to break up the crust. Sometimes it works great.
    Usually, it is just a last ditch effort to avoid replanting.

I would not run a rotary hoe on my yard.
    BigJim55 and CADplans like this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements