Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Get 5' rake, or a 6?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks

Get 5' rake, or a 6?

Only have a few acres, and am looking to get a rake for the 4100 w/HST. I have watched y-tube vids, scoured the ads on the web, and visited several dealers. In sorting it all out, I'm leaning toward a 6' landscape rake. After seeing what they're asking for some pretty old, badly rusted, and broken-tine rakes, I'm thinking the County-Line at TSC might be best value for me. I do like EA's rake, but I can get a TSC rake and wheel kit, for that price, and it seem to be built (in Kentucky BTW), pretty well.

I have no gravel road to maintain; just grounds. Would the 6' be a good fit for a John Deere 4100?
    Last edited by JD-4100; 04-06-2016 at 08:10 AM.
    BigJim55 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    04-12-2019 @ 10:43 AM
    Thanks
    I would go with the 5 foot a 6 inch rake will be kinda small. Really though I never found a rake very useful, curious as to what you are going to use it for? I tried it on different things and it would rake but then fill up and clog.
    BigJim55 and JD-4100 like this.

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,056 Times in 2,999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
    I would go with the 5 foot a 6 inch rake will be kinda small. Really though I never found a rake very useful, curious as to what you are going to use it for? I tried it on different things and it would rake but then fill up and clog.
    Depending on what you are raking removing every other tine makes a big difference.
    pcabe5, BigJim55 and JD-4100 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 12:44 AM
    Thanks
    I used my 7' rake to cleanup the yard of all the dropped branches last month,,,

I pulled it with the JD 650,,, the rake was perfect.
    At times, I even wished it was 8 feet wide, rather than 7 feet.

Get the 6 foot minimum,,, if you find you wanted 5 foot down the road,,
    15 minutes with a sawzall will convert the 6 to a 5,,,,

Converting the other way is a little more involved,,,,
    pcabe5, Brians2032R, rtgt and 7 others like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    ironpony, lol, yep, a 6" rake would be kinda small. I fixed that, but you caught it first

AFA use; yard cleanup, just like CADplans is showing in the pic he posted. I will also be moving, spreading and leveling 20-30 yds of dirt. I think the rake would help with the final finish before seeding. And yes, it's easy to turn a 7' rake into a 6. I just got this old 4100 last week, and wondered if there was any reason to stay with the smaller sized implements..
    rtgt likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:42 PM
    Thanks
    Unless you are pulling a lot of debris and big roots the bigger rake should not stop your tractor. Yes, the rake may get clogged with debris, but that is generally the point of having the rake to collect up the debris. I use mine to work on 2 acres I had cleared off. It does well picking up debris and rocks.
    BigJim55, Hookoil and JD-4100 like this.

9. Top | #7
    JKR
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 AM
    Thanks
    I use a 6 foot rake so far so good.
    It all depends what you use it for.
    3033R, HST, 3SVC, 60" heavy bucket with replaceable blade, H165 loader, Trans and engine heater, 60" tow behind mower.
    hydraulic top link, Line kit, 72" hydraulic power angle plow, JD pallet forks, 60" box blade, 60" scraper,
    72" rear rake, Homemade rock bucket, Post hole digger.Piranha Tooth Bar, Ballast box, rear chains,

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    03-07-2019 @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks
    I bought an 8' king kutter at a auction a few years ago. When I purchased it, I was planning on cutting it down to 6', but after using it I really like the 8' path. I pulled it up a pretty steep driveway to smooth out some rough patches and didn't have any problems what so ever.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2014 John Deere 2032R
    H130 FEL, 54" Front Blade modded to 70", "Priceless" Artillian 42" pallet forks.http://www.artillian.com/
    I-Match hitch, Ballast Box, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, Rear Blade
    Traded in: 1026R w/fel, 60" auto conn. deck. Great tractor. Will be missed.
    Sold to fil: 445 w/54" deck, snow blade/plow, 3pt. hitch
    Sold to father: JD stx38 Has outrun it's hood.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:43 AM
    Thanks
    My use will be around a lot of trees that are 10'-15' apart and the ground is kind of humped/raised around their trunks. I was thinking that the longer 6' rake might tend to only hit on the ends and not contact ground in the center...which is why I was leaning towards a 5' rake. Maybe I should go bigger to start out with, knowing that I could always cut it down if needed.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Jim

1025R...H120 loader w/53" bucket, Piranha tooth bar and Ken's BOH, psrumors seat springs, Frontier AP12F w/42" forks, 60D mower w/autoconnect, Frontier 647 tiller, Frontier SB1164 w/hyd. chute rotation and deflector linear actuator, Frontier ballast box, 72" County Line landscape rake, Fimco 40 gal 3 pt hitch sprayer, Paumco fork spade.

Toro Z Master, 60" deck and DFS collection system

orange dirt bikes, Yamaha Stratoliner and '68 Dart GTS...

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OldmanX View Post
    My use will be around a lot of trees that are 10'-15' apart and the ground is kind of humped/raised around their trunks. I was thinking that the longer 6' rake might tend to only hit on the ends and not contact ground in the center...which is why I was leaning towards a 5' rake. Maybe I should go bigger to start out with, knowing that I could always cut it down if needed.
    Well I think I've settled on a 6, for my use, and I will also add the wheel kit. Thanks to those who replied..
    BigJim55 and LoneStranger like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast