Garden - Planter, Tiller, Cultivator - What is needed?

Thread: Garden - Planter, Tiller, Cultivator - What is needed?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 09:44 PM
    Thanks

Question Garden - Planter, Tiller, Cultivator - What is needed?

Been talking with Brian quite a bit about what all would be the best tools to do a fairly decent sized sweet corn plot. To sum things up...

Summary
    - Using a JD 3520 Tractor w/ 4" Spacers on the rear
    - Using about a 1 acre area to till, plant, and manage
    - Will be planting sweet corn primarily
    - I purchased the tractor farm-tax-exempt; so I've legally got to grow sweet corn and sell in 2013

Concerns/Questions
    1) Would it be better to use a Tiller, Disk, or Cultivator?
    2) What type of planter should I get, and how many units?
    3) Should I get a "Row Builder/HipperBedder"?
    4) What would be the correct process for it all (ie, till, fertilize, till, plant, side dress, water, harvest, ...)?
    5) What other implements or considerations do I need?

Prior Discussion with Brian
    - It would be better to use a cultivator vs. a disk since the 3520 lacks ground engaging HP; and vs. the tiller because it would be painfully slow -- the cultivator will be faster, and still get deep down into the soil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian (mobile phone)
    I did 3 acres of corn this year and a tilled would have sucked to be my main tool. I have a jd 673 tiller and i use it for the garden, but not the larger stuff. To do corn, I would skip the disk. You need flat ground, not hills. First find a cullivator. Jd makes a nice 72 inch one. It will work deeper than the tiller. Them fertilize and culivate again. Then plant. Harvest your corn and use a rotary cutter to chop up the stalks. Find an old trailer type 2 botton plow and plow it under.

Due to the tires you have and the lack or ground enguaging hp, the disks that you can pull or use are going to be light duty and they do little to no cutting or digging. The culivator will dig and losen up the ground.
    - A good 2 unit Yetter / John Deere 71 unit with the rows spaced around 30" would work fine
    know that yetter made the jd 71 and still makes it today. All the parts and plates can be bought new.
    - Stay away form row builders for raised beds, as they keep the plant higher, which in turn takes it away from the nutrient rich area, as well as the fact raised beds seem to dry out faster.
    I am not a fan. Hills dry out faster and do not keep the plants where the most moisture and nutrients are. It would be horrible to use a one row planter as you would have tire tracks everywhere.

Your 4" spacers do not change things much other than the fact that your fronts are still narrow. My 4520 will still be wider than your 3720. Don't worry about it. Try to do 26 to 30 inch rows and getting them straight is easy.

I am leaning towards a x2 unit/row John Deere/Yetter 71 refurb unit, vs the John Deere 7100 -- primarily because of the drive types. It seems like there would be less to worry about, work out, and go wrong with the 71 unit vs the 7100 -- plus the fact they are cheaper!

I've already got a PTO Tiller (Orange, unfortunately ) -- however it is not wide enough to really come close to covering my rear tires -- which I figured would be at least somewhat of a benefit if they were. I'd be looking at the John Deere 673. Especially since I'm only going to do ~1 acre -- plus, I'd imagine it will be somewhat fun.

At first I was thinking it would be difficult to keep rows straight with a 2-row, and non-raised beds -- but I suppose you would just keep your (left tire) in the (right tire) track on your return trip.
    2017 John Deere 4066R w/ Cab & 2019 John Deere 5100R
    [Frontier] LS1125 Sprayer | DS1508 Disk | CS1384 Seeder | PR1172 Power Rake | RR2211 Rotary Rake
    [John Deere] H180 Loader | 540R Loader | E15 Cutter | 630 MoCo | 338 Square Baler
    [Unverferth] Perfecta 10 Field Cultivator

Elwoh Solutions

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 09:44 PM
    Thanks
    Also, what would be the best way to side dress corn with nitrogen? Preferably by way of an implement... Would take quite a while by hand on large scale.

Same thing for weeding? I'd imagine using chemicals on sweet corn is frowned upon...
    2017 John Deere 4066R w/ Cab & 2019 John Deere 5100R
    [Frontier] LS1125 Sprayer | DS1508 Disk | CS1384 Seeder | PR1172 Power Rake | RR2211 Rotary Rake
    [John Deere] H180 Loader | 540R Loader | E15 Cutter | 630 MoCo | 338 Square Baler
    [Unverferth] Perfecta 10 Field Cultivator

Elwoh Solutions

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 03:22 PM
    Thanks
    Many people will spray weeds in sweet corn, but its done before the corn is 10" tall. On one acres, you can easily hoe that, or spot spray.

Same with nitrogen, a good slow release product would be nice and could be last spread with a spreader while the corn is small. We put all of ours down prior to planting the corn and then once more once the corn is 4" high.

Brian

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements