Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Middle Buster Hitting Folded Rops on 2720 w/ IMatch

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-18-2019 @ 04:53 PM
    Thanks

Middle Buster Hitting Folded Rops on 2720 w/ IMatch

Excuse me and move this where it needs to be. I thought this might be useful to someone else.

I have a King Kutter middle buster(see sig) and have used it before without issue but... I used it when I had the top half of the ROPS removed and stored in the garage.

This past fall I read a few "rollover" posts and decided to put the top half of the ROPS on and keep it folded and pinned in the lowest rearward position to be moved upright when needed. Like a lot of others here, I don't have the height needed on my garage to drive the tractor in with the ROPS up.

Today I hooked up the middle buster onto the IMatch, got on the tractor and while I was driving away, raised the 3PT. I heard a loud bang and turned around to see that the middle buster's upper frame was within a 1/4 inch of the middle of the ROPS.

Took the tractor to the garage and surveyed the damage. Luckily there was none except a very small gouge into the lower portion of the folded ROPS and paint missing from the contacted area of the middle buster.

I imagine it could have been worse if the upper link on the 3PT was adjusted to a different angle/length. Not sure. Didn't have my phone with me so no pics.

My solution to the problem is to remove the pins at the lock position, raise the ROPS to the position just above the pins holes and put the pins back in so the ROPS is folded back but not locked down. This gives plenty of clearance between the ROPS and middle buster.

Just thought I'd give a heads up
    Last edited by gbnpp05; 04-22-2016 at 05:16 PM.
    Brian

2720 JD MCUT
    200CX Loader
    62D On Ramp Mid-Mount Mower
    61 Inch Bucket
    Grooved R4's
    Tiller King Kutter Professional Green 60-Inch TG-G-60-JP
    Rear Blade Woods 72-Inch
    Middle Buster King Kutter MB-YX

GT245 Garden Tractor

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    11-18-2019 @ 04:53 PM
    Thanks
    Middle Buster is off but I went out and took a couple pics.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	168170

ROPS in unlocked down position:

Name:	005.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	168178
    DRobinson and BigJim55 like this.
    Brian

2720 JD MCUT
    200CX Loader
    62D On Ramp Mid-Mount Mower
    61 Inch Bucket
    Grooved R4's
    Tiller King Kutter Professional Green 60-Inch TG-G-60-JP
    Rear Blade Woods 72-Inch
    Middle Buster King Kutter MB-YX

GT245 Garden Tractor

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:09 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,495 Posts
    OUCH!
    etcallhome and gbnpp05 like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    11-18-2019 @ 04:29 PM
    Thanks
    I just have a question here out of curiosity. Why would you connect your middle buster to a I Match to mount on the tractor?
    Middle busters & sub soilers are not difficult to handle without I Match. I have a box blade the weighs in at 550 pounds. I park it on a level wood pallet & when I need it I just back up the tractor, lower the three point arms & slip them right onto the pins & I'm done. Sometimes these quick hitch rigs are more trouble than they are worth. Nothing against quick hitches as they do serve a useful purpose, but not all of the time.

7. Top | #5
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:37 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,346 Times in 2,615 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    I just have a question here out of curiosity. Why would you connect your middle buster to a I Match to mount on the tractor?
    Middle busters & sub soilers are not difficult to handle without I Match. I have a box blade the weighs in at 550 pounds. I park it on a level wood pallet & when I need it I just back up the tractor, lower the three point arms & slip them right onto the pins & I'm done. Sometimes these quick hitch rigs are more trouble than they are worth. Nothing against quick hitches as they do serve a useful purpose, but not all of the time.
    Once you install a QH, you don't want or need to remove it. It's big, heavy, and cumbersome. Why remove the QH if your attachments are QH ready? Kinda defeats the point of having it.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 08:31 PM
    Thanks
    I may be in the minority here, but I always put the ROPS up when I had a foldable unit anytime I used the tractor.
    etcallhome, JKR, coaltrain and 2 others like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    11-18-2019 @ 04:29 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Once you install a QH, you don't want or need to remove it. It's big, heavy, and cumbersome. Why remove the QH if your attachments are QH ready? Kinda defeats the point of having it.
    I understand & agree with your point about the QH. I guess my problem is that if I can hitch up a 550 pound box blade without any trouble, is a QH really necessary for the average residential application? Of course I understand the time savings you might get (if everything hooks up right the first time) & how nice it is not to have to jump on & off the seat. I'm not against it. I just don't see why people think they need a QH for some of these attachments. Yes, if you have one, by all means use it. Just makes me wonder if we just love our gadgets that the simplest tasks require spending money on all the extra gadgets. Make me wonder how on earth did farmers farm before all this modern convenience stuff was ever invented.

I find this interesting. The guy across the road from my house has what I would call a hayfield. When he works it, its not unusual for me to see him use three or four tractors out there. Each one is equipped with different attachments to do the various operations. I guess if he had a QT, he could get by with one tractor? Farmers hate implement changeovers so they run multiple tractors. I don't think I've ever seen a "Real Farmer" out here with a QH on his tractor.

I'm getting lost in my own thoughts here. Bottom line is if you have a QH use it. If you can't hook up to your implement on the first try- do it the old style way & fell like a real farmer.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    11-19-2019 @ 12:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    lI don't think I've ever seen a "Real Farmer" out here with a QH on his tractor.

I'm getting lost in my own thoughts here. Bottom line is if you have a QH use it. If you can't hook up to your implement on the first try- do it the old style way & fell like a real farmer.

I see a quick hitch on most 100+ hp tractors out here. By all means, if you can manhandle a 20' implement to hitch it up go for it.

Quick hitches are a modern convenience, just like power steering and hydrostatic transmissions.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,291 Posts
    As a 2720 owner myself I recommend that you NOT fold the ROPS all the way down. Insert the pin so the upper part of the ROPS is parallel to the ground - or as close to parallel as the pin will allow. This will keep the ROPS from contacting any overhead objects and will also prevent the 3PH from contacting the ROPS. It does not need to be pinned in the fully folded position as it's not going anywhere.

Newer builds of the 2720 have a slightly different ROPS bracket which totally eliminates the hole for pinning the ROPS in the folded position.

The photo below shows the older version at the top and newer version on the bottom.

Name:	Comparison.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	642.8 KB 
ID:	168362

I have the older version. Below is how I install my pin when operating with the ROPS in the folded position. This keeps the top section of my ROPS parallel with the ground.

Name:	E26R3971.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	168370 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E26R3972.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	214.7 KB 
ID:	168378
    gbnpp05 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

12. Top | #10
    JKR
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:06 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonton View Post
    I may be in the minority here, but I always put the ROPS up when I had a foldable unit anytime I used the tractor.
    I'm with you 100%
    etcallhome and 5304 like this.
    3033R, HST, 3SVC, 60" heavy bucket with replaceable blade, H165 loader, Trans and engine heater, 60" tow behind mower.
    hydraulic top link, Line kit, 72" hydraulic power angle plow, JD pallet forks, 60" box blade, 60" scraper,
    72" rear rake, Homemade rock bucket, Post hole digger.Piranha Tooth Bar, Ballast box, rear chains,

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast