Need a way to store a small drag harrow - any ideas appreciated.
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By TJR345
  • 1 Post By 69project
  • 2 Post By Tractor Tim

Thread: Need a way to store a small drag harrow - any ideas appreciated.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks

Need a way to store a small drag harrow - any ideas appreciated.

I have a small drag harrow which measures 5 feet wide by 7 feet long, and weighs around 160 pounds. I'm pushing 70 and manhandling and lifting it isn't doable any more. I do use it about once a week on 5 acres of horse pasture. I'd like to find a way to store it safely. Leaving it on the ground isn't really a good option, since I'm worried about a loose horse possibly running over it. I've got a tractor/implement storage space underneath my barn overhang but can't drive in and drop it there, since there's a wall to a workshop at one end.

Here are a few ideas so far. One, build a small enclosure with a gate at both ends - drive in, drop, and close both gates. Two, build a box-like cover from pressure treated lumber to put over it - that obviously means lifting the cover off and putting it back on. Three, dropping it, then picking it up with my loader bucket hooks, and hanging it from hooks on the barn wall under the overhang. I kind of like that idea because I could the use the bucket to lay it on the ground to use with either side down. I wouldn't need to manually flip it over.

But, there must be a better way. If you know of one, please post it. Thanks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredDoc For This Useful Post:

vacruiser (04-27-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:09 AM
    Thanks
    Moving it with the bucket seems to be the best way.
    LoneStranger likes this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    11-19-2019 @ 12:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Could you pull it out of the field and unhook somewhere out of the way, perhaps next to the gate?
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:28 AM
    Thanks
    Mount some sort of block & tackle outside the barn so you can hoist it out of the way. Northern Tool or TSC sells that sort of thing.
    LoneStranger likes this.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:05 PM
    Thanks
    Since you have a loader, that makes it easy. Just use the loader to move it over by a fence or side of a building and lean it up against the fence or building.

I once heard of someone that gave away his wheelbarrow after he got a loader on his tractor. I have a neighbor who I am working on convincing that he needs to use his loader more often instead of manhandling things. He is now recovering from back surgery and I think I may have finally convinced him. This weekend we used my loader with forks to move a bunch of heavy stuff up on top of his workshop area in his barn. I barely had enough lift height capability to get it high enough to offload onto the floor over the shop area. I figure it would have taken 6 guys to move that heavy sofa up that high that has recliners built into it. His Kubota is a little smaller than my tractor and would not have been able to lift high enough to get the job done.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Thanks
    If it is anything like ours, it can be folded up. Once folded, it could easily be picked up with your loader.

Strangely enough, my brother insisted on videoing the "harrow fold" as if it was some sort of ritual. Truth is, he had to fold/unfold and lift the 3 sections (I thought there were more) of the harrow up onto the disk (which was 3' high) for transport...all by himself. No wonder he remembers it vividly.
    By the time I was big enough to drive, we had abandoned the 'drag-harrow' concept.

Anyway, the 14:05 mark of this video shows the 'folding of the harrow' ceremony

Last edited by Tractor Tim; 04-26-2016 at 08:36 PM.
    JKR and 56Nine like this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tractor Tim For This Useful Post:

RetiredDoc (04-26-2016)

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timmarks View Post
    If it is anything like ours, it can be folded up. Once folded, it could easily be picked up with your loader.

Strangely enough, my brother insisted on videoing the "harrow fold" as if it was some sort of ritual. Truth is, he had to fold/unfold and lift the 3 sections (I thought there were more) of the harrow up onto the disk (which was 3' high) for transport...all by himself. No wonder he remembers it vividly.
    By the time I was big enough to drive, we had abandoned the 'drag-harrow' concept.

Anyway, the 14:05 mark of this video shows the 'folding of the harrow' ceremony

Thanks for posting the video. I enjoyed it. I'm wondering about the greasing device being used at around the 5:00 mark. What is it?

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredDoc View Post
    Thanks for posting the video. I enjoyed it. I'm wondering about the greasing device being used at around the 5:00 mark. What is it?
    Well, lots of discussion about this device starting at the 4 minute mark. We called it "today's sponsor". ...just a joke, not REALLY a sponsor. ...but we DID spend a whole minute of the video demoing the device and how easy it is to use. I wish my brother had 'pulled' on the grease gun hose while it is attached. It will NOT detach until you click the lever. It locks, then you lube!
    Anyway, it is called the "LockNLube". VERY nice improvement. Lots of discussion on this device on this forum.

Here is a link to where you can buy one. They are always about $30, but I would say well worth it. LockNLube @ Amazon

Tim
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements