• 3 Post By fishbait
  • 1 Post By BigJim55

Thread: PTO Drive Shaft Installation

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 06:25 AM
    Thanks

PTO Drive Shaft Installation

I just got my first implement (WoodMax Chipper) that uses the PTO. The implement manual says in at least two places to install the PTO with the shear bolt end attached to the tractor. The PTO shaft has a diagram printed on it that indicates the shear bolt end should be attached to the implement. I also watched one of Ted's videos (rotary mower) from Everyhing Attachments where he points out the shear bolt end attached to the implement.

So, which is it? Which end goes where and why?
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    1025r
    H120 Loader w/Ken's hooks, Pirhana Bar, Ratchet Rake, Bucket Tamer Shoes, front quick hitch
    260 Backhoe w/Ken's hook, BXpanded Thumb, Bro-Tec Ripper Tooth
    Artillian Diverter kit. Grapple w/Fangs, loader arm mounted 54 snow blade w/ wings, 24" forks
    54" Rock Bucket
    Ballast box
    I-Match
    Box Blade
    Back Blade
    3pt CarryAll
    Boom Pole
    Artillian Front Hoe
    RimGuard in all 4
    2" Wheel Spacers
    Heavy Hitch
    Block Heater
    HLA 60" Snow Pusher w/Backdrag Blade
    Tektite hard side heated cab

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-17-2016 @ 06:24 AM
    Thanks
    The shear bolt should go one the implement side. I've never seen a shear bolt be on the tractor side. Not that it probably matters, but that's the industry standard if there ever was one.

Post up some pics and what you think of the chipper. I've been contemplating a chipper myself, I just have to get over the price tag for something that I don't really "need". What model did you get?
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Allen

2014 X750 60" mid mount mower, 54" front blade, 647 tiller, custom trash can carrier.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenR View Post

Post up some pics and what you think of the chipper. I've been contemplating a chipper myself, I just have to get over the price tag for something that I don't really "need". What model did you get?
    I got the TM-86H with the hydraulic feed.

I was quite impressed when it was delivered and continue to be. It arrived on a welded steel pallet and was almost ready for operation. Just a couple simple items to attend to including trimming the PTO shaft which was a snap with my metal cutting chop saw. Make sure you use 15W40 MOTOR OIL for the hydraulics, NOT standard hydraulic fluid!!

This is one impressive piece of equipment! Everything is heavy duty and the fit and finish is very good.

It runs smooth with no vibration and chips very well. I have yet to put it through its paces but will post pics and a complete review when I have given it a good workout.

First impressions are that this is a robust machine well worth the cost. I took advantage of the 5% veteran's discount and the unit was shipped within 2 days.
    Gizmo2, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    1025r
    H120 Loader w/Ken's hooks, Pirhana Bar, Ratchet Rake, Bucket Tamer Shoes, front quick hitch
    Artillian Diverter kit. Grapple w/Fangs, loader arm mounted 54 snow blade w/ wings, 24" forks
    54" Rock Bucket
    Ballast box
    I-Match
    Box Blade
    Back Blade
    3pt CarryAll
    Boom Pole
    Artillian Front Hoe
    RimGuard in all 4
    2" Wheel Spacers
    Heavy Hitch
    Block Heater

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Thanks
    I've also been thinking about that model of chipper, interested in knowing how well the 1025 handles it.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spferdil View Post
    I've also been thinking about that model of chipper, interested in knowing how well the 1025 handles it.
    This chipper was designed to be used with a tractor the size of a 1025. At 600lbs+ it rides nicely on the tractor. The 1025 seems to have enough PTO hp to run the chipper wheel efficiently.

I tried a few 3" limbs with lots of branches spread out. This chipper swallowed them and spit them out with no hesitation. The hydraulic feed wheel grabbed the branch and pulled it into the hopper and compressed the smaller branches as they were gobbled down the chute. I just placed the branches into the hopper and the feed wheel took over with no need for assistance from me.

I'll try larger stuff tomorrow if it doesn't rain.
    Gizmo2, BigJim55 and spferdil like this.
    1025r
    54" Rock Bucket
    Ballast box
    I-Match
    Box Blade
    Back Blade
    3pt CarryAll
    Boom Pole
    Artillian Front Hoe
    RimGuard in all 4
    2" Wheel Spacers
    Heavy Hitch
    Block Heater

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fishbait For This Useful Post:

AllenR (05-02-2016), spferdil (04-30-2016)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:38 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spferdil View Post
    spferdil--i watch a lot of u-tube, on there i found this fella out in Utah, at least i think that's where he's from his name under u-tube is Cash Johnston--anyways he too has just gotten a wood chipper, i think he has a 1023e-i think-anyways he has several videos of him chipping. maybe tim marks knows for sure what he has, cause he watches him too. good luck.
    spferdil likes this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenR View Post
    The shear bolt should go one the implement side. I've never seen a shear bolt be on the tractor side. Not that it probably matters, but that's the industry standard if there ever was one.
    Will at WoodMax pointed out that if the shear bolt is on the tractor side and should happen to shear for some reason the PTO shaft will stop turning completely which seems a safer condition to me.
    1025r
    54" Rock Bucket
    Ballast box
    I-Match
    Box Blade
    Back Blade
    3pt CarryAll
    Boom Pole
    Artillian Front Hoe
    RimGuard in all 4
    2" Wheel Spacers
    Heavy Hitch
    Block Heater