Checking out a BB5060L box blade at delivery.
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By 56FordGuy
  • 1 Post By RetiredDoc
  • 1 Post By chester7
  • 1 Post By RetiredDoc

Thread: Checking out a BB5060L box blade at delivery.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks

Checking out a BB5060L box blade at delivery.

BB5060L box blade is arriving tomorrow. I'll be using it mainly for about 1000 feet of gravel roads around the farm behind a 1025r. Any advice on what to check out before accepting delivery when it comes off the freight truck? Obvious damage, sure, but are there any other pearls of wisdom you'd like to share? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 07:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,091 Posts
    There's nothing to a box blade. Dents, bends, and paint damage are about it.
    Superglidesport and Levi like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:29 PM
    Thanks
    You can look for the same problem a few thousand new pickups have,,,
    missing or undersized welds,,,

then there are missing parts,,, lets go, count 'em up!!
    Pins, shanks, etc,,,

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    There's nothing to a box blade. Dents, bends, and paint damage are about it.
    The Frontier box blade arrived - with all of the above plus missing parts. A couple of cosmetic dents, a dozen or so paint chips and scrapes, and more on the bend in a sec. It also was missing a pin and clip to one of the scarifiers, but the way it sat on the metal assembly frame and shipping pallet the scarifier itself couldn't fall out. After releasing it from the welded metal tube frame it was shipped in, I lifted the box blade free with the FEL bucket hooks and proceeded to install the imatch bushings. The way it sat encased in a metal frame meant that it had to be lifted straight up about 2 feet, so I was glad I'd already installed bucket hooks and had some lifting gear.

The top bolt with its bushing was a bear to install, since the 4 holes it had to go through didn't line up perfectly. Once I had it set up, it would not drop into the imatch hitch - the center link bushing was at enough of an angle because of the non-aligned holes that it wedged across the hitch recess rather than sliding down into it. Loosening and re-tightening everything didn't help. If there was a bend causing it, it was very small, not enough to see at delivery. I suspect the holes were drilled just a little bit off. The answer was to replace the imatch top bushing with one of slightly smaller outside diameter. This allowed the bushing, although crooked, to drop into place. Then a little JD green spray paint, and it both looks and works fine. Only other thing I noticed was that the Frontier decals looked like they had been stuck on by someone who'd had a six-pack lunch; they didn't even begin to look straight. I hope the decal guy wasn't involved in the welding. But then, he may have been the one who drilled the holes that didn't line up.
    BigJim55 likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    07-27-2019 @ 06:22 PM
    Thanks
    Picked up my BB5048l that I ordered in Jan. from the dealer couple weeks ago and not impressed on the condition of the NEW box blade scratches, scuffs, chips scuffed decals and faded paint eh. I said to the dealer that it looked a little ruff for being NEW they said that Frontier says its farm Eq. but that still dont make it right eh

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredDoc View Post
    The Frontier box blade arrived - with all of the above plus missing parts. A couple of cosmetic dents, a dozen or so paint chips and scrapes, and more on the bend in a sec. It also was missing a pin and clip to one of the scarifiers, but the way it sat on the metal assembly frame and shipping pallet the scarifier itself couldn't fall out. After releasing it from the welded metal tube frame it was shipped in, I lifted the box blade free with the FEL bucket hooks and proceeded to install the imatch bushings. The way it sat encased in a metal frame meant that it had to be lifted straight up about 2 feet, so I was glad I'd already installed bucket hooks and had some lifting gear.

The top bolt with its bushing was a bear to install, since the 4 holes it had to go through didn't line up perfectly. Once I had it set up, it would not drop into the imatch hitch - the center link bushing was at enough of an angle because of the non-aligned holes that it wedged across the hitch recess rather than sliding down into it. Loosening and re-tightening everything didn't help. If there was a bend causing it, it was very small, not enough to see at delivery. I suspect the holes were drilled just a little bit off. The answer was to replace the imatch top bushing with one of slightly smaller outside diameter. This allowed the bushing, although crooked, to drop into place. Then a little JD green spray paint, and it both looks and works fine. Only other thing I noticed was that the Frontier decals looked like they had been stuck on by someone who'd had a six-pack lunch; they didn't even begin to look straight. I hope the decal guy wasn't involved in the welding. But then, he may have been the one who drilled the holes that didn't line up.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2015- JD 1023E / Block Heater ,120 H Loader / 53" Bucket, 54D MMM Auto Connect ,Artillian Forks (36") / 2" Reciever Hitch Aapter , JD IMatch ,BB5048L Box Scraper ,Heavy Hitch Dual suitcase weight ,1965 JD 110 Restored & Customized ,1969 JD 140 H1 / 38" deck ,1974 JD 140 H3 / 3pt ,1977 JD 300 H2 / 47" deck ,JD 54" Hyd Blade 4 position Heavy Duty ,48" Sweepster ,2- Brass Tag 80 Dump Carts ,8" Brinly Plow ,2- 10" Brinly Plows ,Brinly Disc ,Brinly Cultivator

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    11-17-2019 @ 06:10 PM
    Thanks
    The 50 series are definitely the economy models in the Frontier line up. When I was shopping for a 48" even the dealer noted the sloppy workmanship compared to the 20 series when we were looking at them side by side.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eric102 View Post
    The 50 series are definitely the economy models in the Frontier line up. When I was shopping for a 48" even the dealer noted the sloppy workmanship compared to the 20 series when we were looking at them side by side.
    Unfortunately, the choices are limited when looking for one for a cat 1-limited subcompact with imatch. I will say that once I got it to finally fit the hitch it did a good job with my gravel driveway.
    Levi likes this.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements