Roller cart for a rotary cutter.. this for my mx6

Thread: Roller cart for a rotary cutter.. this for my mx6

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 03:22 PM
    Thanks

Roller cart for a rotary cutter.. this for my mx6

For a long time I have wanted to make my rotary cutter a bit more mobile in the barn. I have been back and forth with metal and wood, but this plan is for wood. I need to be able to support the full 1100 pounds as I do not want the tail wheel on the ground. I have tested it with moving carts and the tail wheel seems to fight you when rolling.

So I was thinking 4x4's at first but bolting the 4" casters seemed to dictate a 6" wide structure. So my thought was to stack 2 2x6's on top of each other. This also allows me to stagger them to get more strength.

Then i thought about running a 2x6 upright to create an edge to keep the rc on the roller. Maybe not needed, but also helps you set it on the cart square.

My issue now is attaching the 4" rollers. I assume they would need to be bolted on. I also assume the nuts would be on top and maybe counter sunk into the top to allow for a flat surface. But I fear taking away strength.

Please take a look at my poor drawings and let me know your ideas.

Sent via TapaTalk from a hunting blind near you.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1354490433592.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1354490444633.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1354490453856.jpg  
    Brian

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-26-2015 @ 08:08 PM
    Thanks
    How about just building a wooden version of a car dolly? You could always clamp the cutter to the dollies. I built some out of 2x12's & casters to get an old car(55 Chevy) out of my shop. The top layer of 2x12's were run lengthwise and side by side once I had an idea of the length needed. Don't recall what the measurements were. The bottom layer of 2x12's were run perpendicular to the top. Both layers were screwed together using deck screws. If I hadn't been in a rush, I would have used countersunk bolts & nuts instead.

If you have a gravel floor, well, then you'd need some sort of pneumatic casters of larger diameter than what I used.

But, if your barn does have a cement floor, Northern Tool has some heavy duty pry levers with steel wheels. One has a 55" long handle and the other a 72". Item#14844-2206 and item#14849-2206. This idea would involve using the tail wheel to carry part of the weight. But after remembering what you said about having to fight it, then that idea might not work.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    04-16-2016 @ 10:17 PM
    Thanks
    Brian I think your plan will work but I would suggest adding some 3/4" plywood triangles (gussets) layed flat to each corner. This would provide a better surface to fasten the dolly wheels to without splitting and would act to tie the 2x6 splices together too. Thinking the triangles need to be about 16x16 inches.
    Steve,

4520, 110tlb, 820, X749
    Enough attachments. Why don't I realize this?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    My issue now is attaching the 4" rollers. I assume they would need to be bolted on. I also assume the nuts would be on top and maybe counter sunk into the top to allow for a flat surface. But I fear taking away strength.
    Brian,

Why do you need to c'sink screws? Just use carriage bolts, no? That's what I've done with wooden carts. The carriage bolt head is nearly flat when pulled into the wood by tightening the nut against the caster.
    Tractor Attachments Maximized for Versatility
    www.ARTILLIAN.com
    Email: [email protected]

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    04-13-2016 @ 11:13 PM
    Thanks
    another tip for sinking carrage bolts is to run a spade bit in the drilled hole. just doing it a lil bit helps a lot when drawing them down.

That is if you need them to be flush or below without totally crushing the wood.
    2010 2305
    200cx loader and 62"mmm
    artillian pallet forks
    modified harbor freight quick hitch
    5' rear blade
    47" snowblower and 54" front blade
    custom weight cylinder
    custom 3 pt 2" receiver
    3 pt carryall

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:30 AM
    Thanks
    Countersinking the bolt heads won't take that much wood away to impact strength. The biggest thing impacting strength in my opinion will be splits, checks, and knots in the wood. You'll be spreading the weight out over a large area, so point loads will just be where the casters meet the floor. Personally I would just lag-screw the casters to the wood. Figure four lags per caster, and you're spreading the load out quite evenly.

Just build it and be done with it.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Artillian View Post
    Brian,

Why do you need to c'sink screws? Just use carriage bolts, no? That's what I've done with wooden carts. The carriage bolt head is nearly flat when pulled into the wood by tightening the nut against the caster.
    I was not sure I would have room for the nuts by the caster wheels so the carriage bolt head was going to be down there, but now i see I should have room. No need to counter sink.

Brian

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Plenty of room. Just be sure to drill from the caster side of the wood assembly so the holes line up. Who cares where the carriage heads land.

I know this is painfully obvious, but surprisingly counter intuitive so possibly forgotten when in the process of doing the work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-12-03_09-21-45_782.jpg   2012-12-03_09-22-04_15.jpg  
    Tractor Attachments Maximized for Versatility
    www.ARTILLIAN.com
    Email: [email protected]

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Artillian For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (12-05-2012)

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Perfect, Thanks Chris

Brian

13. Remove Advertisements