fertilizer spreader intending to use for salt or other ice melter.

Thread: fertilizer spreader intending to use for salt or other ice melter.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:18 PM
    Thanks

fertilizer spreader intending to use for salt or other ice melter.

Anybody using a fertilizer spreader for salt or other ice melter ? We are contemplating purchasing one for ice melting this winter. Just curious if anybody has one that works better than others. And how do you keep the product from being thrown up under the machine.

Thanks.
    Eric
    2019 1025R with 54" MMM, front end loader and backhoe. Just starting out with this machine looking forward to alot of years and many many projects.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    12-22-2018 @ 11:08 AM
    Thanks
    Well, I bought a Frontier ss2036b for that purpose however I've yet to get any real snow/ice to warrant a valid test. Others have told me it will work well, including the dealer, so I'm waiting to see how well it works. I think the trick will be to not use an agitator wheel with coarse materials, and mix the sand and salt to ensure the sand doesn't freeze in the poly hopper, then cover the mix to ensure it doesn't absorb rain/snow.

In fact, John deere advertises these spreaders are for use with salt. Check the brochure out at:

http://www.deere.com/en_US/docs/non_..._spreaders.pdf

I will let you know how well mine works sometime next month!
    2011- 1026R, H120 loader & Ballast Box, 60D Autoconnect mower w/auto-connect and hydraulic lift, I-Match quick hitch, Frontier 3pt hitch receiver, Frontier SS2036B spreader, 260 backhoe, John Deere 54 Front Blade, Landpride BB1048 Box blade

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    12-22-2018 @ 11:08 AM
    Thanks

Works fine

I've spread what is locally referred to by the quarry as a washed/man made sand ( like finely ground crusher dust with no fines) with 25%rock salt and it spreads like a champion! I've used it four times so far and I like it ! I am not using the longer agitator wheel instead I'm using the short stubby agitator and wiper that the SS2036B came with and I'm also using the sand deflector shield accessory. The only issue I've encountered is the "sand" will sometimes not fall to the bottom shute as it compacts above but I stop the tractor, shut off the PTO, poke the mixture with a stick and I'm back in business quickly and easily. I could solve this by using the longer agitator wheel I suppose but elected not to because of the weight of the mixture as it may lead to agitator failure. So I'm quote happy with the performance of this unit for sand and salt. If I used actual natural sand as opposed to man made "sand" I'm sure the compaction wouldn't be an issue.

Cheers,

Gord
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
    2011- 1026R, H120 loader & Ballast Box, 60D Autoconnect mower w/auto-connect and hydraulic lift, I-Match quick hitch, Frontier 3pt hitch receiver, Frontier SS2036B spreader, 260 backhoe, John Deere 54 Front Blade, Landpride BB1048 Box blade

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements