• 1 Post By Super Grouse
  • 1 Post By RandyM

Thread: Aerator or power rake

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-01-2016 @ 11:04 PM
    Thanks

Aerator or power rake

(To start off double posted this by accident, can't figure out how to get rid of it, posted in the wrong spot. I think this is where I was supposed to be long time since I joined a forum)

I'm a superintendent at a small golf course that was run into the ground for quite a few years before I got here. After cutting down thousands of trees and getting grass back onto the greens my fairways and tee boxes are wretched. Erosion is an issue, compaction is an issue, and thatch is a huge issue.

I am in the process of trading my 2320 in for a 3720 so I can actually run some power equipment like aerators and power rakes instead of just relying on weights, a hope, and a prayer.

Now I initially was looking at aerovators by first products with seeder until the $22000 price tag came with it, then looked at an aerway shattertine system plus additional sports tine roller for a year long ability to aerate, that only comes in at the $13000 😫 mark...sigh...again this one only runs on weights but a superior system to penetrate compacted and hard surface compared to traditional coring aerator. Then I saw a power rake in action...wow...that thing chews up that top couple inches awesome and with a seeder falls in around $15000.

So price recap
    Aerovator + seeder = $22000
    Aerway with two tines = $13-14000
    Power rake + seeder = $15000

Now what I need to accomplish...
    Get grass growing on fairways again by removing thatch and compaction (have not been seeded in 15 years or had any significant maintenance done)
    Tee boxes need to be re levelled by bringing in some dirt and sand, pulling tree roots, removing trees etc.mi think most of them could be redone easily with the power rake.

Unfortunately I can't rent any of this crap and no dealership can "find" a demo model even though the actual company that makes these say they are in the area and I am kinda In a jam and need to do something sooner than later and want to know if anybody has any experience with these products and advice on them. The power rake can be used for light de thatching as well I assume doesn't need to pull dirt, plus could level gravel cart paths and driveway so kinda leaning that way as I prepare to blow my yearly budget on one thing 😂

Any and all advice would be appreciated
    BigJim55 likes this.
    3720/300cx/land pride aerator and 40 acres of golf course...who wins?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    11-19-2019 @ 09:34 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 674 Posts
    Welcome to GTT, I deleted your other post. Sounds like you got a big job ahead of yourself. Good luck.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    01-26-2019 @ 01:01 AM
    Thanks
    2010 Other SM100 - Misc. Ag

What about something like this?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    06-01-2016 @ 11:04 PM
    Thanks
    I had thought about a till but think it would end up sitting around too much after I was done with it. The other options were for heavy use on a monthly basis. As it is I talked with the guy that aerated our greens and has been doing that job for 25 years and his advice was go with the aerway. He had owned several over the years and thinks they are a great product and for my golf course with the amount of rocks just below surface and harder clay areas it will do a great job with minimal risk of breaking tines and maximum gain for shattering and removing thatch and dead spots. Trustworthy guy and not a salesman so feel pretty good going this route now. When I get everything will post some pictures and take a look at the results between now, and fall.
    3720/300cx/land pride aerator and 40 acres of golf course...who wins?

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements