Ditch or Trench Bucket for a Backhoe?
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Minuteman17
  • 1 Post By Knuckles
  • 4 Post By Treefarmer
  • 1 Post By 69project

Thread: Ditch or Trench Bucket for a Backhoe?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-24-2018 @ 07:48 AM
    Thanks

Ditch or Trench Bucket for a Backhoe?

I got the tractor put in the shed and left for work. I haven't even got 3 minutes on it and already have an offer for work. Guy at the mouth of the holler wants me to dig him a waterline ditch, it's a 3" drain line for gutters. I need to buy a smaller bucket than the 12" that came on it. I've seen BXpanded 6" trench bucket. It seems just a hair to small. Is there anybody else beside BXpanded that sells aftermarket buckets for the hoe??? Oh yeah my tractor is the 1025R with the factory loader and hoe.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    11-13-2018 @ 05:33 PM
    Thanks
    The bxpanded 6" would work perfectly for that IMHO. I recently did this exact job for my neighbor plus a power line to his shed. I used the bxpanded bucket and it did a great job on the roots.

Sent from the field.
    2014 1025R TLB 60" MMM, 54-inch Front Blade, Artillian Forks, Grapples, and Horse Blinders, Kens bolt on hooks, 1.5" Bro-Tek Rear Wheel Spacers, iMatch, Heavy Hitch, BB5048L Box Blade
    2016 Z930M 60" 7 Iron PRO Deck, Custom Lights
    LA145

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks! Just wondering if the 6" was enough. Our county water is going in now, and I was thinking later this summer I'll have lots of opportunities to make some side cash for more implements. The water line is only an inch line. Homeowner is responsible from the meter to the house. I really think this is where these little tractors will shine. In a yard or around the house. Thanks again!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    11-07-2019 @ 10:07 AM
    Thanks

middle buster

Quote Originally Posted by RazrRebel View Post
    Thanks! Just wondering if the 6" was enough. Our county water is going in now, and I was thinking later this summer I'll have lots of opportunities to make some side cash for more implements. The water line is only an inch line. Homeowner is responsible from the meter to the house. I really think this is where these little tractors will shine. In a yard or around the house. Thanks again!

A middle buster is faster for a quick trench. See the Heavy Hitch rig with 28" depth and a good potato plow to cut the trench. I used my box scraper with one scarifier tooth down as a trial for pvc sprinkler pipe. Beautiful job, but off center and not too straight a trench (my bad). This is great for gutter/downspout drains, sprinler pipes, electric conduit line trenches, etc.
    Faster than a back hoe wth less lawn damage, too.
    Gizmo2 and Heavy Hitch like this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Minuteman17 For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (05-25-2016)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    11-07-2019 @ 09:52 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Minuteman17 View Post
    A middle buster is faster for a quick trench. See the Heavy Hitch rig with 28" depth and a good potato plow to cut the trench. I used my box scraper with one scarifier tooth down as a trial for pvc sprinkler pipe. Beautiful job, but off center and not too straight a trench (my bad). This is great for gutter/downspout drains, sprinler pipes, electric conduit line trenches, etc.
    Yeah good point after I rented a trencher for a small electric run to a pool the damage to the lawn was more extensive than I would assume necessary for direct bury cable so I bought a local sub soiler and ran some more electric and the beautiful thing about using a sub soiler the low damage to the lawn , you just drive over top of the cut and it pushed the cut back shut, no dirt work , no seeding , I am currently making a spool feed for the sub soiler to feed the wire in as I drive and I've seen others doing the same with water pipe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JDforester likes this.
    1023e w/FEL
    Curtis cab
    54" snow blower
    36" forks
    Jd ballast box
    54" mmm
    48" tiller land pride
    7' 3pt blade
    Tsc sub soiler ( converting it for burying electric cable )
    3pt tool bar ( project under construction )

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 10:06 AM
    Thanks

Real world

Just remember that if you are using your tractor for commercial purposes, it really changes any insurance issues. If you hit a utility line, regular homeowner's insurance probably won't cover it. Same if you ding a building, car etc. That fast $100 for a job could cost you thousands in a hurry so if you are going to do side jobs, talk with your insurance agent first. That way you will at least know what the risk is before something happens. Then it's up to you on whether you want to take the risk.

I'll sometimes plow my neighbors drive when it snows but don't accept any money for it. Partly because I'm not doing it for the money but also because I don't want the commercial risk. Now, if they want to send a cake or plate of cookies over I'll gladly accept those but not cash. . .

Treefarmer
    Ray_PA, OldmanX, coaltrain and 1 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 10:44 AM
    Thanks
    What Treefarmer said^^^! I'm fortunate enough to live between 2 good bakers and across the street from a winery. I "work" for comps frequently...
    Jim

1025R...H120 loader w/53" bucket, Piranha tooth bar and Ken's BOH, psrumors seat springs, Frontier AP12F w/42" forks, 60D mower w/autoconnect, Frontier 647 tiller, Frontier SB1164 w/hyd. chute rotation and deflector linear actuator, Frontier ballast box, 72" County Line landscape rake, Fimco 40 gal 3 pt hitch sprayer, Paumco fork spade.

Toro Z Master, 60" deck and DFS collection system

orange dirt bikes, Yamaha Stratoliner and '68 Dart GTS...

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 07:19 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Minuteman17 View Post
    Only if you have nice easy soil to dig in. I used a Heavy Hitch one in Texas and it was not as productive as I had hoped due to the fact I believe that North Texas is just one giant piece of shale under about 3 inches of top soil

It is a well made tool however and I believe would do just what you are suggesting in nice soft soil or if you have a bigger stronger tractor...My dirt projects however are never done in ideal conditions...
    Ray_PA likes this.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 06:38 AM
    Thanks
    You will need to look up your state or county code for the proper depth of the water line. Our area for example requires a minimum of 32" depth due to frost line. This will make your decision as to what you need to bury a water line. Should you not bury the line deep enough and it freezes you will be back fixing the line or someone else will do it at your expense.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Our frost line is around 18 inches. I'll have to use a bucket. The BXpanded looks like the way to go. I know I could dig the ditch with the standard bucket, but It would be twice the wear on the machine as the 6" bucket. Thanks guys!

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements