Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Forks questions

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-21-2016 @ 04:56 PM
    Thanks

Question Forks questions

Hey folks

The longer I get into this endeavor (nearly a whole two weeks now) with my 1025r, the more uses I'm finding for forks around the place.

From schlepping a cage with large rocks, to lifting out stakes already pounded into the ground, to stacking lumber, brush, moving a bagster to the curb.... its becoming very clear to me forks will be on the front of Bambi more than the bucket.

I know less about forks than I know about, well, pretty much anything other implement or attachment.

I see Artillian has several lengths. Moving pallets of stuff (feed, bricks, whatever) is very low on my list - they'll mostly be creating a platform to move other stuff, lift brush, trash, etc.

I also see they're now offering fork extensions - this I like very much, as I can get two lengths, essentially without the investment or space of two full sets.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on your experience with fork length... should I be looking at the full on serving forks, or will the salad forks work fine.

- Ken
    From Los Angeles. New to MD.
    I like it here. A lot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    11-17-2019 @ 07:49 PM
    Thanks
    I have the 36" forks. Ive had them for only a couple months but seem to be the perfect size. I've moved logs, pallets, brush and even done a little digging. The Artillian forks are awesome! They will stay on my tractor most of the time.
    Levi, BigJim55, coaltrain and 2 others like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    The Willamette Valley, Laurelwood/Gaston, Oregon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    I have the 36" forks. Ive had them for only a couple months but seem to be the perfect size. I've moved logs, pallets, brush and even done a little digging. The Artillian forks are awesome! They will stay on my tractor most of the time.
    Everything Corey said, just the right size for the tractor and the Artillian forks are tops!!

I had clamp on 4' forks before Artillian, too big and too far forward.

Just my opinion . . . .
    Levi, BigJim55, coaltrain and 2 others like this.
    Marlin

JD 1026R - March/2013
    JD H120 NSL Loader, JD 647 Tiller, JD Ballast Box
    Frontier BB2048L Box Scraper
    IMatch, Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's Bolt-On Hooks & FEL Receiver Hitch
    John Deere Wheel & Suitcase Weights
    Wheel Spacers - 2" Front, 4" Rear
    Heavy Hitch Hitch’N Can
    LED Lights Front & Rear Facing
    Artillian Forks & Front Hoe
    R4 Tires Front & Rear

https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin...9-2fca25bc3f83

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    04-26-2019 @ 07:43 PM
    Thanks
    I just got a set of Titan 42" forks on Monday of this week. Got them for $413 with free freight. They're not the quality of Artillian or Frontier but they will work for my needs.
    5304, Levi, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 01:28 PM
    Thanks
    Titan sent me the 42" forks by mistake but now I'm glad they did. So far I have not run into a situation where the extra 6" is a problem.
    5304, Levi and Trilifter7 like this.
    1025r TLB, 54" Bucket, R4 Tires (metal valve stems!) with Beet Juice, 60D Mower Deck - mechanical lift, 42" Titan Pallet Forks w/Bale spear, 54" ETA Box Blade, 72" ETA Landscape Rake, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks and Diff pedal extension, Piranha Tooth Bar and psrumor's Seat Springs

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:26 PM
    Thanks
    42" Titans on mine.
    When unloading an actual pallet from the truck that length has been nice to have but has still been easy enough to maneuver inside my barn.
    5304, Levi, Trilifter7 and 1 others like this.
    TheOtherChris
    1890 Farm House and Barn Renovation
    My New 1025r FILB now with 54" MMM
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks and seat springs
    Piranha tooth bar
    Hawkline 48" rotary tiller by Behlen Country
    72" back blade by Behlen Country
    42" forks and quicktach frame by Titan
    60" box blade by Massey
    Bomgaar's (by Fimco) 40 Gallon 3ph boom sprayer

There is a fine line between Tractor Nirvana and the Implement Poorhouse

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    01-01-2019 @ 11:58 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo2vation View Post
    I'd appreciate any thoughts on your experience with fork length... should I be looking at the full on serving forks, or will the salad forks work fine.
    I have the Artillian setup with 42" forks. I would not want to go any shorter for my only set of forks. First, any shorter and it'd be hard to see the tips in a lot of cases. With the 42" forks, I can usually see the tips over the top of the back frame. Shorter forks would hide from me more often. Second, I picked up a pallet loaded with sandbags the other day that was slightly too far away for me to pick up properly. The last 8-10" of the pallet hung over the tips of the forks. Picked it up, backed up into a pretty big bump and the bounce caused the pallet to break. I put it down, slid all the way under the broken pallet, and was able to pick it back up and keep working. Couldn't do that with the 36" forks.

Now, I bolded "only" up there because I also want a set of 24" Landscaping forks. The 42" forks are a little cumbersome to use to pry stuff up and also are so long you don't have as much prying power as you would with the 24" forks. I definitely want to add the 24" forks as soon as I can afford to.
    5304, Levi and Yamaguy like this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 06:43 AM
    Thanks
    I would get a set of long ones (I have the 42's from Artillian) and a set of shorts if you plan on using it as a pry bar to dig up roots/bushes etc. I use my forks primarily for moving pallets or big stuff I get from a store (think big heavy stuff like appliances or new attachments for my tractor etc) and do not want to man handle out of my truck. I think you find that you will use the forks to move pallets more than you think. The long ones are also good for moving brush/branches etc.

If most of your work is going to involve that sort of thing, you should look at a Artillian grapple. Yes, it is a lot more money than a set of forks but the use you get out of it for landscaping/brush removal/etc is way more than you would get from a set of forks. I have one of their grapples as well on a 2210 a forerunner of the 1 series. It works great and will cause you to think of more projects than you thought possible.

Bottom line is you won't be able to get one attachment to do it all so think carefully about what you do most and size the tool for the job, unless of course you don't mind spending money on green stuff. If that's the case then clear out Artillian's store, it will make the both of you happy...
    Levi, BigJim55 and Marlin like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:18 PM
    Thanks
    I have a small(er) space, and when I do custom work, it is typically in small(er) yards. I have the 36" forks, and have never seen the need for the extra 6" (to 42").
    There are times that even the 36" seem to "stick way out there" when trying to make a tight turn.

These tractors don't lift that much, especially on the tips of the forks way out in front of the tractor. I don't see the need for longer forks. Just adds weight, and makes it more difficult to turn in a tight space.

I know that others feel differently, but I'm not sure if any/many of them have used the 36" length. Is there REALLY a task which the 42" can accomplish which cannot be done with the 36"?

Bigger is not always better.

Tim
    Levi, BigJim55, coaltrain and 1 others like this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 11:44 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timmarks View Post
    I have a small(er) space, and when I do custom work, it is typically in small(er) yards. I have the 36" forks, and have never seen the need for the extra 6" (to 42").
    There are times that even the 36" seem to "stick way out there" when trying to make a tight turn.

These tractors don't lift that much, especially on the tips of the forks way out in front of the tractor. I don't see the need for longer forks. Just adds weight, and makes it more difficult to turn in a tight space.

I know that others feel differently, but I'm not sure if any/many of them have used the 36" length. Is there REALLY a task which the 42" can accomplish which cannot be done with the 36"?

Bigger is not always better.

Tim
    Tim summed up my feelings well. I also have 36" Artillian's.

Perfect length in my opinion. Lifts pallets, handles brush, easy in tight places, lighter that 42 for a bit more capacity.... \
    That 6 inches can help in removing a pallet from a truck bed that is out of reach of 36 inch forks... I just use a chain and the slots on the Artillian frame if it is too far forward.
    Levi, Ray_PA and Jeff B like this.
    2015 1025r FILB (H120 49" w/piranha bar & KBOGHs, 60" Auto-connect MMM)
    Artillian Frame, Forks, Grapple and Diverter
    BB2060 Frontier Box Blade
    PB1001 Frontier 1 Bottom Turning Plow
    54" JD Snow Blower
    647JD Tiller
    LP1160 land plane
    Tektite Backhoe cab

Just need a Wallenstein Chipper and... I'm sure I'll think of something more

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast