PTO shaft to snowblower keeps falling off

Thread: PTO shaft to snowblower keeps falling off

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-01-2019 @ 08:01 AM
    Thanks

PTO shaft to snowblower keeps falling off

Just this season my midmount to front wheel long/large MID PTO shaft has started falling off the connector under the front wheel at the mid-mount to front PTO connector. Now I notice that the PTO shaft snap ring and locking collar will not lock on the shaft, even though it's cleaned and well lubricated. I vaguely recall having to pay close attention to setting up the connector when I installed the set up 3-4 years ago so I am guessing that after 3 years of fairly heavy use I would be wise to take the assembly off and check it thoroughly. My only guess is that the connector housing has stretched under load and the locking ring ball bearings cannot reach the locking slot due to the expansion...harder to explain than show. I will have to report back on the status of the connector shaft.
    Rest and Be Thankful Farm
    Lyman, ME

955 Deere, FEL, 7 Backhoe, 59 Snowblower, 72" MMM, 7 ft Enorossi sickle bar mower, New Holland 273 Baler, Mystery International hay rake, , Woods posthole digger, 7ft York Rake, Wood splitter

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,148 Times in 2,588 Posts
    I have never heard of that happening before Please take some pics when you identify the problem.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks

Repair day

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    I have never heard of that happening before Please take some pics when you identify the problem.
    Taking it apart today. I suspect damage to the transfer coupling that sits under the front wheels, connecting the long PTO shaft from the mid mount to the short PTO that connects to the blower. As I said, assembly three years ago was a bit tricky as the PTO shaft would not stay on them until I assembled the unit just right...otherwise the PTO quick locking arrangement simply doesn't reach the groove in the shaft to lock on.
    Lyman, ME

955 Deere, FEL, 7 Backhoe, 59 Snowblower, 72" MMM, 7 ft Enorossi sickle bar mower, New Holland 273 Baler, Mystery International hay rake, , Woods posthole digger, 7ft York Rake, Wood splitter

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by maineuropa View Post
    Taking it apart today. I suspect damage to the transfer coupling that sits under the front wheels, connecting the long PTO shaft from the mid mount to the short PTO that connects to the blower. As I said, assembly three years ago was a bit tricky as the PTO shaft would not stay on them until I assembled the unit just right...otherwise the PTO quick locking arrangement simply doesn't reach the groove in the shaft to lock on.
    Okay I have everything apart and there isn't much space behind the groove of the big shaft side. The PTO shaft locks on the short side shaft fine.

Looking at it closer: there is separation on the short shaft side..it appears that the whole housing has been stretched a bit and filled in with schnorf(technical term for ca-ca, dirt and sand).

Disassembly to follow
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0760.JPG   IMG_0763.JPG  
    Lyman, ME

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks

Measurement Request

Okay I am looking at the Deere parts catalog and am wondering what this part's length is supposed to be: Part 6A(the steel housing) is in catalog 2108 (59 inch 2 stage snowblower), page 13 : That governs the overall length of the bearing assemblies wrt the splined shaft. I can reduce the length down to about 4 1/2" before the bearings interfere with each other but the housing I have is 4 7/8" long. I am thinking that this housing is just too long...possibly a build error at JD, I don't know..but I would certainly like to bridgeport the housing down to about 4 5/8" long and enjoy that additional 1/4" of more exposed splined shaft for the PTO shaft to attach to.
    Is there anyone out there who can measure just their 6A housing and tell me how long it is? Otherwise I have simply assembled this item incorrectly and have a 1/4" to find..
    Lyman, ME

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Thanks
    On my older JD855 the two ends of the mid pto shaft are the same. I have never had a problem getting it on or off either end.
    Make sure both ends are major clean and lubed with silicone or similar and swap the drive shaft end for end. If I have what you said right...... That would put the end that comes off on the output shaft from the tranny ??? See how it works that way.

Good luck

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks

Problem Identified

Okay I am looking at the Deere parts catalog and am wondering what this part's length is supposed to be: Part 6A(the steel housing) is in catalog 2108 (59 inch 2 stage snowblower), page 13 : That governs the overall length of the bearing assemblies wrt the splined shaft. I can reduce the length down to about 4 1/2" before the bearings interfere with each other but the housing I have is 4 7/8" long. I am thinking that this housing is just too long...possibly a build error at JD, I don't know..but I would certainly like to bridgeport the housing down to about 4 5/8" long and enjoy that additional 1/4" of more exposed splined shaft for the PTO shaft to attach to.
    Is there anyone out there who can measure just their 6A housing and tell me how long it is? Otherwise I have simply assembled this item incorrectly and have a 1/4" to find..
    The 1/4 " was found to be a shift in the shaft. It is held in place by two collets with set screws inside the housing 6A; the entire assembly shifted so that the short PTO side was overextended 1/4" and the long PTO side was too short. We (my Portsmouth Naval Shipyard machinist(retired) neighbor took it apart, shifted both collets and put it all together again.
    Works fine now.

George (and it's snowing again)
    Lyman, ME

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks

Forensic part of this thread

So the forensic part of this: trying to figure out how the shaft shifted forward. I can only think that snowblowing and lifting the blower while it's under severe load would be the only way that there would be any lateral strain on the coupling shaft: when the snowblower is lifted, that extends the short PTO shaft. Now normally that would have no effect as the short PTO shaft would simply extend, bar in sleeve. So only with extreme load would that basically "lock" the shafts despite plenty of lubrication and exert a pulling pressure on the short PTO shaft, pulling the entire assembly towards the tractor front. Eventually the shaft would shift relative to the collet rings(which are held in place by one 7mm hex set screw) and pretty soon the long shaft PTO would no longer reach the locking groove as happened to me.
    What do you all think? It says to me that you probably do not want to lift the unit while its under a lot of load.
    Lyman, ME

11. Top | #9
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:04 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,346 Times in 2,615 Posts
    Sounds very plausible.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements