Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Box blade or regular blade?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-19-2016 @ 06:16 PM
    Thanks

Box blade or regular blade?

I recently purchased a 4310 with a 420 FEL. I would like to get a 3 point blade for dirt work, spreading gravel, and possibly clearing snow. Right now I will only be getting 1 blade, so I am wondering which type would work best for me. I have never used a box blade, so I don't know how it would work with gravel.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumV8 View Post
    I recently purchased a 4310 with a 420 FEL. I would like to get a 3 point blade for dirt work, spreading gravel, and possibly clearing snow. Right now I will only be getting 1 blade, so I am wondering which type would work best for me. I have never used a box blade, so I don't know how it would work with gravel.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    well the plain back blade u want will be cheafer than a box blade for sure, unless u go with a hydraulic back blade which then would probably be more money than a box blade

didn't mean to mix u up u will fine we like to kid a lot here, and have fun also at it. i have a 6 ft frontier back blade, and i have used it for all the reason's u have said, and it did a good job at it. i don't have a box blade, so i can't help u out-ok. but good luck

and welcome from south central PA.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Thanks

Either/both

I have both and find they somewhat interchangeable but each has it's points. For snow and putting a crown on a gravel road, the back blade works better for me. It's also better for cleaning out a ditch of debris or cutting a new ditch. A rear blade is probably more versatile but also a bit harder to learn. Each adjustment actually changes something else. Change the angle and the side to side level changes. Same with the top link, etc.

For spreading topsoil or filling in potholes, the box blade seems to work better. It's also better if you have to cut into hard ground or gravel as you can drop the scarifiers and break up the hard stuff. I bought both of mine used and probably didn't pay much more than the cost of one new. Somewhere on here is good advice on the box blade. Weight matters so get the heaviest built one that works for your tractor. Get a replaceable, curved cutting edge so it bites into the ground. Instead of lift pins look for the hitch that uses pins through the side plates so you can back up and simply move the lift arms straight up. That's also a stronger rig for when you hit a root or rock. I didn't get any of those things buying used but still am satisfied with what I have except for the cutting edge will be better when I replace it.

If I had to go with only one, it would be the rear blade but plenty of other people would choose the box blade.

Treefarmer
    56FordGuy, BigJim55 and Marlin like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:45 PM
    Thanks
    Buy the box first since it is more money.
    Then a month or two later you will say: "Hey the back blade is only $300 so I guess I will get one."

Seriously, I have both. I use the box blade for the rough work and initial grading. Then I will sometimes finish grade with the back blade. If I could ONLY buy one it would probably be the back blade.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    TheOtherChris
    1890 Farm House and Barn Renovation
    My New 1025r FILB now with 54" MMM
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks and seat springs
    Piranha tooth bar
    Hawkline 48" rotary tiller by Behlen Country
    72" back blade by Behlen Country
    42" forks and quicktach frame by Titan
    60" box blade by Massey
    Bomgaar's (by Fimco) 40 Gallon 3ph boom sprayer

There is a fine line between Tractor Nirvana and the Implement Poorhouse

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,091 Posts
    They both have advantages. A rear blade will work better for cutting ditches, crowning a road or moving snow because you can angle the blade to move material across it while you drive forward. However, you really can't drag a lot of material from point A to B because it will spill off the sides so a box blade would work better if you had long ruts to fill in. Another advantage of the box is the scarifier teeth. When repairing potholes, you don't want to just fill them in. You need to break up the hard packed area around the hole, otherwise it's like filling a bowl full of water. When someone drives over it, the dirt just splashes out of the pothole like if you slapped your hand down into a bowl of water. With a box blade, you can rip the pothole with the scarifiers and if you have a box full of material you can fill it in all on the same pass. With a rear blade you have to cut out the hole, which disturbs a larger section of the road base.

If you do a lot of grading, a hydraulic top and side link will be huge improvements. You can tilt the implement forward and back to adjust how aggressively it cuts, and tilt it side to side all from your seat. For cutting ditches or crowning a road the side tile is a big advantage. If the road you're driving on is uneven, when your tractor leans the blade will lean also which makes getting an even surface tricky. With the side link, when the tractor leans I can adjust the tilt of the blade to compensate so the road surface behind me is even. Most rear blades will tilt and angle on the implement, but with a box blade you have to tilt the three point hitch on the tractor in order to cut at an angle like a ditch. If you have hydraulic links (top and tilt) to do this, no big deal. If you're using the factory threaded links, tilting an implement sideways is a pain. A rear blade would be easier to work with if you don't have top and tilt links in my opinion, but I wouldn't let that be my only deciding factor.
    Marlin likes this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

8. Top | #6
    Fit Rite Hydraulics MtnViewRanch's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:02 PM
    Thanks
    A rear blade is going to work by far better for snow. Everything else can be done with either unit, some things easier with one vs the other. Ideally you will end up with both types of implements. They each excel at certain tasks. My opinion would be to get a rear blade first and then a box blade.

Also, get the best heaviest units that you can afford. The perfect width box blade for your tractor is 66" in my opinion, but one between 5'-6' would be fine. For a rear blade, I would get a 7 footer, but 6' will work also.

Here are a couple of recommendations.

Rear blade

Roll over box blade. 65" unit would be great. A big advantage to a ROBB is that the rippers are engaged by pulling the lever from the tractor seat and that typically once the top link is set, it does not need any other adjustments that are often required with a std box blade.
    Brian

Manufacturer of Fit Rite Hydraulics

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    11-04-2019 @ 11:24 AM
    Thanks
    I just finished making a gravel strip for my implements to sit on. I had at my disposal my 2720 with 53" bucket, 6ft box blade, land plane and rear blade. I dug up the sod with the bucket and then graded it with the land plane. Next I started using the box blade to spread the gravel but actually found it more cumbersome than just spreading it with the bucket and back blading it. Then I went over it again with the land plane to smooth it out. Then I packed it with an old paving roller. Turned out awesome!

What type of dirt work are you wanting to do? Personally I find my land plane way more useful than the box blade. About the only time the rear blade comes out is for snow work.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    F932-gas with 72" mower deck(sold)
    2720-72" mower deck with hydraulic lift, 3 valve rear SCV, loader, bucket, forks, 84" RFM, blade, 74" snow blower, box blade, land grader........
    2305- sold
    Z915B

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    06-19-2016 @ 06:16 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies, especially those explaining the advantages of each type.

I recently purchased a home on 5 acres, so there will be a variety of tasks to be done. I know I will need to put in some gravel drives leading to out buildings since right now there is nothing but grass/mud. Also, grading areas for new concrete, leveling uneven areas of the yard, etc. I also have a gravel parking lot at business I own which needs a new layer of gravel spread on it. I would say that the majority of what I would use a blade for would be spreading gravel and dirt. I don't see much need for cutting ditches, and I will do most of my snow removal with the plow on my truck.

Eventually, I'm sure I will get both types of blades, but right now I think I am leaning toward the box blade. The biggest advantage I can see is the scarifier teeth for breaking through the tough clay soil we have here.

Any other advice is appreciated.
    56FordGuy, BigJim55 and blue87fj60 like this.
    4310, 420 FEL, 72" mid mount mower, 42" Titan pallet forks

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Thanks

Thinking it through

Thanks for the replies, especially those explaining the advantages of each type.

I recently purchased a home on 5 acres, so there will be a variety of tasks to be done. I know I will need to put in some gravel drives leading to out buildings since right now there is nothing but grass/mud. Also, grading areas for new concrete, leveling uneven areas of the yard, etc. I also have a gravel parking lot at business I own which needs a new layer of gravel spread on it. I would say that the majority of what I would use a blade for would be spreading gravel and dirt. I don't see much need for cutting ditches, and I will do most of my snow removal with the plow on my truck.

Eventually, I'm sure I will get both types of blades, but right now I think I am leaning toward the box blade. The biggest advantage I can see is the scarifier teeth for breaking through the tough clay soil we have here.

I'd say you've done a good job of thinking through what you need, and what you already have.

Treefarmer
    56FordGuy and BigJim55 like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:56 AM
    Thanks

The box blade with the drop down scarifiers will be more valuable if you need to get down and break up heavier compacted soils.
    The 3 point relies on weight of the implement for down force as there is no down pressure so having the teeth helps a ton.
    I have the frontier box blade and it works great. You can cut crowns by adjusting side arms of three point.
    I did my gravely clay based driveway by angling box down on right side and dropping the right side scarifier. It cut the gutter nicely and i just kept working material to center to build up the crown.

The blade is a great implement as well.
    BigJim55 and MagnumV8 like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast