Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Looking to buy a new tiller

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-07-2019 @ 06:38 PM
    Thanks

Looking to buy a new tiller

I had a King Kutter 72" tiller for 10 years. Did a good job in everything but sod but worked well over all. No issues what so ever.

A friend of mine just got a used Yanmar and made me an offer I just couldn't refuse so now I'm in the market for a new tiller.

Been looking around and for the money the King Kutter is still the the best value tiller I've seen.

But (there is always a but) now there are reverse tine, "C" tine, chain drive, gear drive, pinion style gear box, pressure tail gates ..... ect.

What I'll be doing with it is lite landscaping, for hire garden tilling (new sod busting and existing) and food plots.

Been looking hard at the Phoenix, Frontier and LandPride Tillers and am thinking of going to a 82"-84" (New 4066 should handle it) BUT they are twice the price of the KK,

Any suggestions? Or a brand I'm over looking.
    BigJim55 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:45 PM
    Thanks
    Any tiller their hardest job is sod. Along with price is how it is built.Overall weight can tell you how tough it is (housing,tine thickness) and as always availability for parts now and down the road.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:04 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 1,070 Posts
    82"-84" tiller?! That's a whole new world to me. I got nothing.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:18 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TC Plowing View Post
    I had a King Kutter 72" tiller for 10 years. Did a good job in everything but sod but worked well over all. No issues what so ever.

With 10 years experience tilling, I suspect you know more about tillers than the rest of us!
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TC Plowing View Post

A friend of mine just got a used Yanmar and made me an offer I just couldn't refuse so now I'm in the market for a new tiller.

Been looking around and for the money the King Kutter is still the the best value tiller I've seen.

But (there is always a but) now there are reverse tine, "C" tine, chain drive, gear drive, pinion style gear box, pressure tail gates ..... ect.

What I'll be doing with it is lite landscaping, for hire garden tilling (new sod busting and existing) and food plots.

Been looking hard at the Phoenix, Frontier and LandPride Tillers and am thinking of going to a 82"-84" (New 4066 should handle it) BUT they are twice the price of the KK,

have u looked very hard at a reverse rotation tiller yet? before i bought my KK 60 inch tiller, i almost bought one-kk has reverse rotation tines--only a hair more money. what i liked a bout them was how they buried the sod and greens to the bottom. look on u-tube-lots of videos on their about tillers that have reverse tines-very impressive. the reason i didn't get one is because i want to plow mine before tilling. good luck
    Superglidesport, Levi and TJR345 like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    11-07-2019 @ 06:38 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    82"-84" tiller?! That's a whole new world to me. I got nothing.
    The old Kubota 38 hp handled the 72" very well figured the new JD 66 hp could handle another 12". It is a bit big I'll give ya that. But thats one less pass in every 6

Quote Originally Posted by timmarks View Post
    With 10 years experience tilling, I suspect you know more about tillers than the rest of us!
    10 years with one type and brand. Looking for info on others ie reverse tine, C tine vs L tine, chain drive vs gear drive ........

Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    have u looked very hard at a reverse rotation tiller yet? before i bought my KK 60 inch tiller, i almost bought one-kk has reverse rotation tines--only a hair more money. what i liked a bout them was how they buried the sod and greens to the bottom. look on u-tube-lots of videos on their about tillers that have reverse tines-very impressive. the reason i didn't get one is because i want to plow mine before tilling. good luck
    Yeh watched all the different commercial youtube vids. I'm with ya on reverse tine turning cover under much better. But some say standard rotation gives a better smother seed bed. I was hoping that someone on here had some actual experience with other type (C tines are advertised to "chew" better than L tines) and brand tillers. (Italian tiller mfg Maschio & Phoenix are advertised to be the best on the market. WHY? )

I'll probably end up gettin another KK based on Price alone but I am really interested in what makes the others so much "Better". And if they really are worth the extra money.
    Last edited by TC Plowing; 05-30-2016 at 10:42 PM.
    Levi likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:04 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 1,070 Posts
    To tell the truth, I haven't heard of reverse tine tilling and C-tines till about a year or 2 ago. Mine is just a normal tiller and it works for me so it's what I'll stay with. I'd hate to get a different one and fine out I didn't like it after spending the money. You know the "why fix it if it ain't broke" theory. Haven't heard much about the reverse tine tiller's. I've seen one in action and it seems to do a good job. But that was in a video. I'd want to see it in person doing it's work.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:01 PM
    Thanks
    I've not seen much chatter here at GTT about Tarter products, when I decide to pull the trigger on a tiller (Rotary Tiller - Tarter Farm & Ranch), I believe It's the unit I'll buy. It only comes in L tines, but they can be set to run in either forward or reverse direction. I doubt it would be something one would do every day, but could be done each season as needed.

Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:12 PM
    Thanks
    I didn't really know about the tine options. I did find this, which is pretty informative

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    11-10-2019 @ 07:02 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post
    I didn't really know about the tine options. I did find this, which is pretty informative
    Thank You. Great explanation of the time types.
    2007 2305, New to Me 12/15
    62c MMM, Independent Mid Lift
    H130 FEL, Heavy Hitch, , IMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks,
    N1 Sunshade, 48" Flex Hitch King Kutter,
    72" CTA Snow Pusher, CIDAttachments Forks
    LP 60” Grader Scrapper, R2 Edge Tamers
    Hitch'N Can

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast