• 2 Post By Levi
  • 1 Post By golf12

Thread: Post Hole Diggers for Subcompacts

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-27-2019 @ 06:34 PM
    Thanks

Post Hole Diggers for Subcompacts

hey all.. I'm at the start of hunting for an auger for my 1 series.. I need to run a small fence down the single lane length of my gravel driveway.. This section goes from the road to my concrete pad and is only about 80ft long.. I have split rail cedar fencing in other areas on my property so I'd like to continue that theme & look.. The issue I foresee is that my lane way is really, really hard packed.. Almost like concrete when its dry.. The ground under the lane way is just sand and gravel but I gotta get through what I think is 6 to 10 inches of really hard packed dirt and gravel.. So my question is this.. Can a cat 1 post hole auger/digger bite into this kind of turf to get itself going?.. Or is the tip likely to just spin on top of the ground and not bite in?.. Is there anything to look for in an auger that would make one better for this type of digging than another?..

Obviously I can do'er the old fashioned way and pick and shovel my way through.. But the whole point to getting an auger is to not have to do that.. We're talkin 22 posts here.. That'll be hard on the shoulders!
    2014 1023E - R4 Tires - H120 Loader - Ballast Box - Forward lighting kit with Artillian horse blinders - 48" Ratchet Rake Snow Edge - 42" HLA Forks
    2017 Z540R - 54" High Capacity Deck - Forward Lighting & Mulch Kit - 60" Farm King Rear Snow Blower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:08 PM
    Thanks

Not sure about smaller units

I've never run a unit for a subcompact so this may be of minimal help, however. . .

Our larger auger will usually drill into the ground unless there's a combination of very hard soil and a dense sod. Then we have to chew the sod off, stop and lift the auger and clear off the cutting edge. We are more likely to have an issue with lifting the unit out of the ground than not going into the ground. It is reasonably heavy but it's also I think a 12" bit on it. Somewhere on this site is a discussion of down pressure kits for augers. I'm sure with enough down pressure you can make an auger go into the ground. A smaller diameter bit should work better as well in hard ground.

For 22 holes, I would look to rent and not buy. My experience may not qualify as we just finished hand digging way more than that doing some fencing where we couldn't get the tractor and driver in. Never used the auger at all on that job, it was either hand dig or drive. I much preferred the driver but that's not a small tractor option.

Treefarmer
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    I've never run a unit for a subcompact so this may be of minimal help, however. . .

Our larger auger will usually drill into the ground unless there's a combination of very hard soil and a dense sod. Then we have to chew the sod off, stop and lift the auger and clear off the cutting edge. We are more likely to have an issue with lifting the unit out of the ground than not going into the ground. It is reasonably heavy but it's also I think a 12" bit on it. Somewhere on this site is a discussion of down pressure kits for augers. I'm sure with enough down pressure you can make an auger go into the ground. A smaller diameter bit should work better as well in hard ground.

For 22 holes, I would look to rent and not buy. My experience may not qualify as we just finished hand digging way more than that doing some fencing where we couldn't get the tractor and driver in. Never used the auger at all on that job, it was either hand dig or drive. I much preferred the driver but that's not a small tractor option.

Treefarmer
    hey TF.. Thank you for the valuable insight.. I have absolutely been considering the idea of renting vs buying.. There will be many more posts to dig beyond this project but the when's and where's have not been decided.. Just thought I might add that tool to the stable so I'd have it when I need it.. I can continue pondering that.. Good to know an auger can get through tough ground without down pressure.. Its worth a try and renting is probably the way to go for my first attempt.. I friggin' hate digging fence posts by hand.. But it is what it is if an auger just turns out to be more hassle than help when I try it..
    Levi likes this.
    2014 1023E - R4 Tires - H120 Loader - Ballast Box - Forward lighting kit with Artillian horse blinders - 48" Ratchet Rake Snow Edge - 42" HLA Forks
    2017 Z540R - 54" High Capacity Deck - Forward Lighting & Mulch Kit - 60" Farm King Rear Snow Blower

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Thanks
    I've had the Tractor Supply auger since I had the 1026r. If you put it in the hole closest to the tractor it'll lift it high enough. I've got the worst case soil filled with rocks and roots and it works fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0401.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	188722

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0404.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	188714

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-29-2019 @ 02:46 PM
    Thanks
    I have a TSC auger with 9" bit for my 2720. The only time the tip would not start a hole was in solid rock or when a piece of rigid steel conduit was buried in the ground. Otherwise the tip will tear into hard packed dirt. I only got my bit stuck in clay once in 100+ holes.

http://fawbush.org/images/2016_01_01...ence_posts.jpg
    Levi, BigJim55 and gbnpp05 like this.
    Jason

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Thanks
    When we fenced some of our place years ago I bought a PHD to use. It's a cat one but didn't have it on a scut. Don't remember what brand it is and can't get to it right now, but it has a 9" auger and in some of our clay soil it would just spin on top of the ground. Sometimes we would have to wet the spot down good to get it started. Also this PHD has a place for mounting a handle that sticks out a few feet behind the auger that a helper can use to put down-force on the auger. This really helped also, not sure if any nowadays still have this.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 1,070 Posts
    I rented a PHD for my 2210 I had with a 12" auger. Dug right beside my drive, no problems digging. It did hit a 4" pvc pipe and didn't want to go through it. I was glad of that as it was the sewer line. When it hit I just pulled it up to see what it was as I thought it was a rock. Just moved the hole to a different location. It did a great job and I didn't have to do any manual labor.
    BigJim55 and gbnpp05 like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks boys.. This is the confirmation I was hoping for!..
    Levi likes this.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements